Author Topic: Donnie Darko  (Read 6278 times)

markie

Donnie Darko
« on: October 06, 2003, 10:44:00 am »
Has anyone seen Donnie Darko, if so, will someone please explain it to me? I had nightmares about giant bunnies last night.

Sir HC

Re: Donnie Darko
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 11:47:00 am »
I love that movie.  What don't you get?  I guess my fav about it is that the day of reckoning is my birthday...

markie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  I love that movie.  What don't you get?  I guess my fav about it is that the day of reckoning is my birthday...
Is any of it really meant to have happened, or was it just purgatory, like Jacobs ladder. If it did happen, what was the significance of the old woman?

My favourite bit was, "The locker room got flooded and there were faeces everywhere". "What are faeces?", "baby mice, I think!" "Arrrrrrrr!"

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 11:54:00 am »
Just a head's up, Gary Jules, who sings the great cover of "Mad World" is playing at Jammin' Java on Oct. 15.

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 11:54:00 am »
I assumed it all happened and that he figured out how to change the future to what worked better for everyone else.  I do see your Jacob's Ladder theory, now I will have to reevaluate and watch it again.

Great version of "Mad world" (is that the title) at the end.

markie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
  I assumed it all happened and that he figured out how to change the future to what worked better for everyone else.  I do see your Jacob's Ladder theory, now I will have to reevaluate and watch it again.

Great version of "Mad world" (is that the title) at the end.
If it all happened where was the "metal craft, probably a spaceship" that was required for space travel. Was that him driving off in the car?

And how is that linked to the plane engine?

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
Airplane is able to do space travel.  I assumed that that is what caused the engine to fall off the plane was him going back in time on an aircraft.

markie

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
  Airplane is able to do space travel.  I assumed that that is what caused the engine to fall off the plane was him going back in time on an aircraft.
Ok I am glad that is what you thought, because I think that is where I was heading. Apparently the DVD has a directors commentry where he tells all. I guess I will be watching that tonight.

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
I think that is one that I could see buying.  Much like Mulholland drive there is a lot in there to figure out.

markie

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
  I think that is one that I could see buying.  Much like Mulholland drive there is a lot in there to figure out.
Isnt Mulholland drive meant to make no sense?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Pariah:

Isnt Mulholland drive meant to make no sense? [/b]
Mulholland Drive started out so great and then....what the fuck?  It took a hard left turn and then another and another and another.....

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 03:44:00 pm »
I thought that Mulholland drive took that fourth dimensional turn, the one that you can't see and when you make it you can not see where you came from.

paige

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
Donnie has the ability to see into the future.. Frank - the giant rabbit - gets him out of bed on the night that the Airplane engine is supposed to fall on him and kill him. However, by seeing what happens when he DOESN'T get killed (meets gretchen, falls in love, etc etc etc .. learns about time travel, meets grandma death) Donnie sees what a little blip in the course of time can do - basically gretchen's death - and chooses to sacrifice his own life for the lives of the ones he loves.

I too, love the "What are feces?" part. And nothing beats Cherita !! Chut up!!

markie

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 04:13:00 pm »
Ah, very good Paige.

you will be forever struck from my list of board morons...

Poor Cherita. The look on the crazy womans face when she sees Patrick Swayzee on the front cover of the newspaper was priceless.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
bilge