Author Topic: BJM @ Mojos  (Read 5366 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: BJM @ Mojos
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 04:33:00 pm »
sorry misread your post...
T.Rex

SPARX

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  sorry misread your post...
'salright,any idea what they're like?From the name alone,I think i'd pass.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
long live death an "avant folk" group from balwmer... they must be good the guitar player plays with his eyes closed  :p
T.Rex

SPARX

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
Anybody familiar with Best Inn on Frankford Ave?Expedia tells me its only a mile from Mojos,but my question is,is it a dive?I'd prefer some decent accomadations but man,that's so close.I've stayed at Best Western and it was nice and also fairly close.Any suggestions?

Jaguär

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 06:28:00 pm »
Oh, shit. You guys need me now.

1. Sparx, stay away from any of those dives on Frankfurt Ave. or Pulaski (Rt.40) Hwy. Sure it's convenient but it's not the safest place to stay. I'm telling you, go for one of the ones in Towson. You will be MUCH better off.

2. Markie, Key Hwy and the museum are much farther away than 15 minutes, with 45 mins being more like it, 35 at best. Especially when you are considering traffic lights, getting a little lost, and traffic. Especially downtown traffic and it being a Friday afternoon. Being a Friday, I95 might not be your best way up to the Mojo (unless you are going direct from DC). At least, I wouldn't bother with it on any day, but I know the streets much better. I would probably go through downtown and take Gay St. up which turns into Belair Rd. Or better yet, go (north) up either (Paca St./Charles St./Calvert St.) to North Ave, make a right (east), go almost to the end and then a left on Gay St/Belair Rd.. Keep going up Belair Road until you get on the other sie of Moravia Rd and the Mojo in just a couple doors north on the right hand side.

3. There are no advance ticket sales for this show. When I asked Andy the price, he didn't know                 :roll:                but said that it probably would be no more than $10. He seemed to not expect a sell out so you should be fine.

4. For dinner, I think they still sell food but if not, there are a few places within walking distance. However, don't expect any fine dining.

5. Looks can be deceiving. The neighborhood use to be a very decent Blue Collar neighborhood but has changed drastically over the years. Make sure that you take your street smarts with you. With that said, you should be fine. I tend to think that any scumballs would be leery of our types and fear they would attract too much attention if they tried to mess with us. At least, when they know we are congregatting as a group at the club.

SPARX

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Oh, shit. You guys need me now.

1. Sparx, stay away from any of those dives on Frankfurt Ave. or Pulaski (Rt.40) Hwy. Sure it's convenient but it's not the safest place to stay. I'm telling you, go for one of the ones in Towson. You will be MUCH better off.

Thanks Jag,I'll take your word for it.I was just hoping for something within walking distsance for several obvious reasons.Anybody going to see Kimya Dawson and Trachenburg family earlier that day?Should be an interesting event.

SPARX

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »
Anybody know if Mojos allows recording?I know the BJM is cool with it, but don't want to offend the owners of the club.Any info appreciated.

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
There are no hotels within easy walking distance. The Holiday Inn is (which I had been told had closed-but not positive) but will be a nice hefty walk. That hotel gets lots of drug traffic, which is partly why it's in trouble. The neighborhood of the hotel is much, much worse than the Belair Rd area. Even the Inner Shitty people sort of fear it.

The neigborhood is mostly private homes, some apartment complexes, lots of car dealerships, small businesses up and down Belair Rd, several crap schools that I know very well        :mad:      , and a graveyard. It's become a shabby version of what was once a decent neighborhood but the nature of it has changed drastically for the worse. My uncle was visiting my grandparents' grave at the graveyard and when he got back to his car, there was a bullet hole in his car. I know several older people (in their 70s) who lived most of their lives there who have been robbed right in front of their own homes on residential streets. Some were car jacked. Unfortunately, a lot of crime has found it's way there, so be street smart. In between the crimes, it's actually a rather half-way decent sort of quiet residential area. But the crime is more and more common all the time. Oh, and I taught in one of the schools in the area of the Holiday Inn and I've gotten to know the true nature of what is going on there at this time as oppossed to when I grew up there. It's not good at all! I actually lived on the other side of Herring Run in a neighborhood with no name but that's gotten to be crap too. All of those areas were my old stomping grounds.

SPARX

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 07:36:00 pm »
Subject:  new york

Rubric and Tee Pee Records 2003 CMJ Showcases to
 Feature
 HIGH ON FIRE, BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE, ANDMARY LOU
 LORD
 The Rubric Label Group, home of Tee Pee and Rubric
 Records, invite you to
 join us for some mayhem and debauchery in correlation
 with the 2003 CMJ
 Music Marathon running Oct 23rd – 25th. We present
 three days of exclusive
 events that run the gamut of ear shattering war metal,
 intelligent and
 diverse DJ skills, a pleasure cruise, and of course
 food, booze, and guest
 lists. No other label will be as busy.
 Thursday, October 23rd Tee Pee Records, in
 association with Leafy Green
 Booking, present a night of unbridled volume headlined
 by Bay Area
 juggernauts High On Fire. Also on the bill are will be
 The Cherry Valence,
 Drunk Horse, non-roster invitees The Tom Collins, and
 also Denmark’s
 psychedelic warlords, On Trial, making their first
 ever New York appearance.
 This night of blistering leads and blown minds will
 occur at Southpaw in
 Park Slope, Brooklyn. Show starts at 8pm. Get there
 early, as this will
 prove to be one of the hottest tickets in town. FREE
 BEER 7PM – 8PM
 Thursday, October 23rd Not to be outdone by dealings
 across town, The Brian
 Jonestown Massacre will record a live set for WFMU
 (91.1 FM) to be aired on
 a later date. Later that evening, Anton Newcombe,
 eccentric leader and music
 historian extraordinaire of The Brian Jonestown
 Massacre, will be guest DJ
 at Sugar in New York City (311 Church) from 1am until
 closing. $2 BEER 1AM –2AM
 Friday, October 24th (Day) Come nurse your hangover
 with us as Rubric and
 Tee Pee Records present a FREE day party at Pianos Bar
 (158 Ludlow) in New
 York City. Complimentary entertainment will be
 provided by Drunk Horse, On
 Trial, and a special guest to be named later. Free BBQ
 to feed your soul and
 free music to feed your head. What more could you
 want? Starts at noon, goes
 until 5pm.Friday, October 24th (Night) Come
 experience the most unique concert
 experience in New York City as Tee Pee and Rubric
 Records present The Rocks
 Off Boat Cruise. Have you ever seen a show on a yacht
 as it circles
 Manhattan? I didn’t think so. Come see The Brian
 Jonestown Massacre, Mary
 Lou Lord, and Hopewell (ex-Mercury Rev) under the
 lights of The Statue of
 Liberty. Cruise begins at midnight. Please make sure
 to be at the pier no
 later than 11:45pm. Check out the website for
 directions.www.rocksoffnyc.com
 FREE BEER 11PM-12PM
 Saturday, October 25th And if you need icing on your
 cake, we bring you Mary
 Lou Lord, Gingersol, The High Strung, and The Brian
 Jonestown Massacre at
 Pianos Bar in New York City. Show starts at 9pm. Those
 nuts at Vice magazine
 will hold an invite only open bar from 8-9pm in the
 upstairs lounge. Entry
 is on a first come, first serve basis. The chance to
 see bands of such
 caliber in such an intimate room is surly to cause a
 mob scene so we
 recommend getting there very early.
 FOR INTERVIEWS, PHOTOS, GUESTLIST REQUESTS PLEASE
 212.253.1110DALE@T...

=====

SPARX

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2003, 06:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  Subject:  new york

Come see The Brian
 Jonestown Massacre, Mary
 Lou Lord, and Hopewell (ex-Mercury Rev) under the
 lights of The Statue of
 Liberty. Cruise begins at midnight. Please make sure
 to be at the pier no
 later than 11:45pm. Check out the website for
 directions.www.rocksoffnyc.com
 FREE BEER 11PM-12PM

Wow,what a great idea.Hopewell is an excellent choice as well.Never heard MLL though.

Jaguär

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
In Anton Newcomb's words (the real one), "There were a lot of Frat boys here tonight."

The fake one had the said the same thing only minutes before.    :roll:  

It was only a few who made it seem that way. You know how they make their presence known.    :roll:  

Good show. Fuck Maryland's liquor laws that required them to end before the band was ready. I'm sure that the Black Cat show will be even better.

Bags

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2003, 06:39:00 pm »
:(  
 I  have a meeting in New York and have to go up Sun night....I have to miss the BJM & High Strung show.  I was really looking forward to it.

Jaguär

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2003, 06:46:00 pm »
Oh, too bad. You should of joined us last night.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 09:59:00 am »
Yet another fab night at the Mojo, it a shame it's not smack dab in the middle of dc because it would be great alternative to the Velvet Lounge and backstage at the Black Cat.

The first two bands were regrettable and very forgettable,but since they brought in most of the paying punters thats all I'll say on them.

The High Strung will become one of those I remember when I saw them play...  This band is on the verge of much bigger things. (given the right break)  The band totally cuts loose from the recorded versions of the songs, especially the drummer and bass player.  Even Mojo Andy was impressed.  

BJM were good to a point... Obviously a talented band and worth seeing again.  I need to bone up on their material before hand.  As their set worn on, and I began to fade, everything BJM did began to blur together.  

See ya'll on Tuesday for Love   :D
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2003, 10:28:00 am »
Well BJM could not do anything last night seeing how Anton could barely stand.  What a horrible display.  If this was anybody's first exposure to BJM I could understand if they never wanted to hear them again.  So different from the previous 2 times (Baltimore and the Velvet Lounge).

The High Strung were good again, but not as good as they were on Friday night, the vocals were somewhat muddy and the set was shorter for some reason.  Apparently they will be back in Baltimore (at the Mojo) in November.