Author Topic: First Week of May Rollcall  (Read 6018 times)

azaghal1981

Re: First Week of May Rollcall
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
Speaking of the Masonic temple, is that Mountain Goats/Rock Plaza Central show sold out yet?
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »
I see nobody is going to Drive By Truckers...
_\|/_

eros

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »
Crowded House on Friday
ʎɐʍou

mdh9857

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 01:46:00 am »
Wyclef, The Bravery, Cobra Starship (and 2 other bands) UMD 5/2

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 02:40:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Monday - Tribeca Film Festival
 Tues - Verve - MSG
 Wed - volunteer @ Tribeca Film Festival
 Thurs - Im From Barcelona - Brooklyn Masonic Temple
 Fri - Sun - Volunteer @ tribeca film festival

ixkpd-bk - as youre in the city - you should try and check out some of the earlier films in the day at tribeca. theres a lot of great films. this year most everything is playing in the east village/union square
Oooooh! I'm going to try and do it in the daytime on Thursday and Friday. I'm staying in the West Village, so I know about the some of the stuff going on. I'd try for tomorrow morning, but I'm going to try and do the Santogold in-store at Virgin Union Square! Should be fun!

--

Sidenote: Calvin Harris tonight was wicked fun! He's really just a brilliant, smart, engaging live dance act. I don't understand why he's not as huge as he deserves to be here. The live show just trumps the album experience, and as I said, he's a really engaging performer, so it makes everything that much better. He said he'll be back for a more complete North American tour next year, so keep him on your radars, guys!
Woof.

ggw

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 09:52:00 am »
DBT, BSP, Mike Ness

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
 Sidenote: Calvin Harris tonight was wicked fun! He's really just a brilliant, smart, engaging live dance act. I don't understand why he's not as huge as he deserves to be here. The live show just trumps the album experience, and as I said, he's a really engaging performer, so it makes everything that much better. He said he'll be back for a more complete North American tour next year, so keep him on your radars, guys!
calvin was soooooo money last night.  an absolute blast, a party in a box.  great band, amazingly tight and powerful.  i can't hype his live show enough, i'm having trouble coming up with a band that is more fun (gogol, maybe, but only the first time i saw them - whereas calvin doesn't get old).  thanks to ixkpd-bk for holding down the rail until the missus and i arrived last night.  front and center!  bowery ballroom sounded pretty good, and not painfully loud.

calvin continues to get my highest recommendation.  a definite must-see.
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
thursday 5/1 - langhorne slim @ iota

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
I will be going to WTMDs First Thursday free show with Jukebox the Ghost, on thursday, of course.

thats it for me. aside from working the super awesome, Saves the Day show.

manimtired

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
  Well, whats it gonna be guys?

Monday - Calvin Harris @ Bowery
 Tuesday - Goldfrapp @ Beacon Theater
 Wednesday - Madonna @ Roseland
 Thursday - The Kills @ Webster Hall
 Friday - Robyn @ Hammerstein Ballroom

This is the week to be in NYC if you're ready for the beats!
do you have a job? not trying to be a dick..

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
If you can count DBT, I can count Polvo.

Aren't they both technically in week 2?

Friend's trying to convince me to see some show at jammin java friday and the electric prunes monday. Just when I thought I was going to get a nice little show break before/after SOTL/Hammock/Willits...
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
 Oooooh! I'm going to try and do it in the daytime on Thursday and Friday. I'm staying in the West Village, so I know about the some of the stuff going on. I'd try for tomorrow morning, but I'm going to try and do the Santogold in-store at Virgin Union Square! Should be fun!

if you happen to check this - i decided id see whats playing that is worth checking out. ive listed a few that really stood out.

Thurs: 3:30 War Child - Village 7 (11th & 3rd) - the best documentary ive seen. if emmanuel jal is there - it will make it even better. he ended the Q&A performing one of his songs (hes a hip-hop artist from sudan). its basically his story of growing up in Sudan and what hes done with his life. Theres a bit of the movie that takes place in DC too.

and 4:15 Somers Town - Village East Cinemas - a new film from Shane Meadows (This Is England). Has the same feel as his first film - its a friendship about 2 boys in somers town. An awesome, awesome film. Besides all films before 5pm are only $8.

Friday: 1:45 The 27 Club at village east (my other fav non doc at the festival) - Los Angeles rock star Eliot Kerrigan (Joe Anderson of Across the Universe and Control) is dealing with the overdose of his partner Tom Wallace at the age of 27 by dodging the fans, buying a case of drugs, and hiring a square young grocery clerk (David Emrich) to drive him home to Joplin, Missouri.
HeyLa

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

... and the electric prunes monday.
Wait! Where?

(Bet I can't go anyway.    :(   )

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 01:53:00 am »
Sooooooo...Goldfrapp tonight in NYC. It was pretty good, her voice is such an instrument. Contrary to Mr. Sweetcell's claims that she was lip-synching during a song, I definitely know for a fact that all the main vocals we heard during the show were coming directly from Alison's mouth. I loved the mix of old and new, and the general crowd response to the last 5 or 6 songs. Not the best show I've seen them do, and in all honesty, it doesn't touch Calvin Harris' live set from last night.

Oh, and I caught Santogold today as well. What. A. Woman. I loved it SOOOO much. She ended up performing about 8 songs from the new album, all of it VERY well received. Love. Her.

Neverwhere, I got a ticket to see "Let the Right One In" tomorrow afternoon. Know if it's amazing or not?  I've heard wonderful things about it already.
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:00 am »
Black Cat

With (The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope (who I bet you're a fan of  :(    ) [/b][/quote]
احمد