Author Topic: Mercury Rev and the Doves  (Read 2373 times)

Lazer Guided Melodies

Mercury Rev and the Doves
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
I see Mercury Rev is opening for the Doves on their upcoming tour.  I would prefer it the other way around but what can you do.  It should be a great show either way.

Re: Mercury Rev and the Doves
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:38:00 pm »
I'll be protesting that travesty by not going.

Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  I see Mercury Rev is opening for the Doves on their upcoming tour.  I would prefer it the other way around but what can you do.  It should be a great show either way.

foolbat

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
Alas, the mighty Doves return...Perhaps my favorite band in the world right now.

jfuruno

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
any idea on the dates for these shows?

SPARX

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by foolbat:
  Alas, the mighty Doves return...Perhaps my favorite band in the world right now.
Am I the only one underwhelmed with the new one after really enjoying Last Broadcast?Put me in the wish Mercury Rev was headlining camp.That being said,Doves had an amazing live set at Glastonbury last year,so it's a win-win situation.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:56:00 pm »
I'll go for Mercury Rev...whooppeee!!

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:11:00 pm »
I am a bit underwhelmed by Some Cities as well but they usually put on a great live show.  I still think Lost Souls is their best.  As far as dates go, they will be in Boulder on May 9th and I assume they will be heading east after coming from Coachella.

pip

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 10:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by foolbat:
Am I the only one underwhelmed with the new one after really enjoying Last Broadcast?Put me in the wish Mercury Rev was headlining camp.That being said,Doves had an amazing live set at Glastonbury last year,so it's a win-win situation. [/b]
Speaking of being underwhelmed, The Secret Migration has been the real disappointment for me. So if you're gonna base it on the latest albums, Doves by far deserve to be the headliners here. I discovered there's a trick to listening to Some Cities... eliminate tracks 5 and 8 from the playlist and then the album becomes many times better, nearly as good The Last Broadcast. It's two weak tracks in an otherwise really good set of songs. I'm looking forward to hearing it all live. Not so sure about Mercury Rev though. I do like them, and I'll enjoy their set if they stick to songs from All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs. But since they'll be promoting the new album, sadly that's probably what we'll get.

SPARX

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 10:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by pip:
  [/qb]
Speaking of being underwhelmed, The Secret Migration has been the real disappointment for me.  [/QB][/QUOTE]                                          Really? I prefer it to their last few.Boces and Yerself is Steam are easily my faves.Hopewell,a MR side project have several exellent releases as well.As was stated,it should be a good show either way,and it will be a full moon.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
Okay, let's get it right. The band name is Doves, not "the Doves."

And while we're at it (Express, are you listening?), it's Stars, not "the Stars".

joz

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
This is the 2nd time I'll be buying tickets for a Doves show in order to see the opener...1st time was to see My Morning Jacket opening, and now for Mercury Rev.  Last time I left 10 minutes into the Doves' set...it was so lousy.  I can understand why they headlined with MMJ as openers, but how can it be possible that Mercury Rev is only an opener for them???

wxdude

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
I guess I'm in the minority hear.  I think the new Doves is very good, and an improvement over Last Broadcast, though not quite on the same level as Lost Souls.  Mercury Rev should be great too.  I don't have the new CD, but I love All Is Dream.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
Because at some point someone in a board room decided that it was time to sell British music to the American masses again. I blame it on George W. Bush, and the declining value of the dollar.

Originally posted by joz:
  This is the 2nd time I'll be buying tickets for a Doves show in order to see the opener...1st time was to see My Morning Jacket opening, and now for Mercury Rev.  Last time I left 10 minutes into the Doves' set...it was so lousy.  I can understand why they headlined with MMJ as openers, but how can it be possible that Mercury Rev is only an opener for them???

Mongo

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by wxdude:
  I guess I'm in the minority hear.  I think the new Doves is very good, and an improvement over Last Broadcast, though not quite on the same level as Lost Souls.  Mercury Rev should be great too.  I don't have the new CD, but I love All Is Dream.
You're not alone, I like it a little better too.  It is definitely a sonic improvement over the thin sound of Last Broadcast.  Lost Souls still wins "best album" for me too.

muke

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
Just received the following e-mail from Mercury Rev.  Mercury Rev are "special guests".

Mercury Rev announce North American Tour

Mercury Rev have announced they will embark upon an extensive North American tour that coincides with the US release of their new album The Secret Migration. Following their appearance at the Coachella Festival on 30 April, the band will be touring as special guests with Doves throughout May, taking in the following cities:

1 May - San Francisco CA, The Fillmore
 3 May - Seattle WA, Showbox
 4 May - Portland OR, Aladdin Theater
 6 May - Vancouver BC, Commodore Ballroom
 8 May - Salt Lake City UT, Club Sound (Formerly Bricks)
 9 May - Boulder CO, Fox Theater
 11 May - Kansas City MO, Madrid Theater
 12 May - Minneapolis MN, The Quest
 13 May - Chicago IL, Vic Theater
 14 May - Detroit MI, Majestic Theater
 16 May - Toronto ON, Kool Haus
 18 May - New York NY, Webster Hall
 19 May - New York NY, Webster Hall
 20 May - Boston MA, Avalon Ballroom
 22 May - Philadelphia PA, Theater of the Living Arts
 23 May - Washington DC, 9:30 Club

Tickets for the shows go on general sale to the public shortly. However, mercuryrev.com has arranged a special "pre-sale opportunity" for fans to purchase tickets now, in advance of the general on-sale dates.