Author Topic: DEADWOOD - am i alone...  (Read 1793 times)

GabrielG54

DEADWOOD - am i alone...
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
in my obsession with this incredibly wonderful television show?

"a human being in his last extremity is a pile of shit"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: DEADWOOD - am i alone...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Nope, great great show! Ian McShane is just so very great as Swearengen. And is there a better character out there than Calamity Jane right now?  She reeled off a couple truly great lines last night. It's rare that the minor characters are so fully developed on a show... Calamity Jane and the Mayor E. B. Farnum are as interesting as the main characters.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
I havent caught any of the new season yet.  

damnit.  i thought Jane left town?  oh, dont tell me, I'll have to get HBO now for a few months.

GabrielG54

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
mcshane is incredible. was happy he got the globe. he deserved to win every award he was up for. deadwood will get its due before all is said and done, no doubt. it will be interesting to see where they take things this year after spending the majority of season one developing everyone.

had to fly back from beantown last night, so will on demand part 2 tonight. cant wait. the dialogue is so sveet. i wish i had a knack for talking that way. i mean, i can say cocksucker well and all, but man is the dialogue something else.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
While the quality of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under have waned, HBO still knows how to do episodic TV right.  The third season of The Wire was outstanding, always on the edge of one's seat.

It's a shame that Joss Whedon's Firefly wasn't on HBO as it probably would have never got canceled.  The later never aired episode on the DVD set were better then the early ones.  It would have been a perfect HBO series.
T.Rex

GabrielG54

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
has anyone ever gotten into carinvale? i just havent had the time, but always wondered..

SPARX

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
I really enjoy Deadwood.Boy they had SOME use for hogs back then didn't they?I do miss Wild Bill though.Calamity Jane is a hoot!!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
carnivale and deadwood both are pretty great
o/\o

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 07:28:00 pm »
I'm a huge Deadwood fan. This new season is already terrific. The use of language is extraordinary -especially last night's episode. The mingling of polite high society English with the brutality of the western swearing. Swearengen is the perfect example. And Bullock as the tortured hero. Great, great.

And kosmo, I'm a Firefly fan as well. Can't wait to see Serenity!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 07:59:00 pm »
Just read an interview with Ian McShane and he says one of his close friends is Dave Alvin of the Blasters and The Guilty Men. He says Dave will recommend tunes for him to check out and two of Ian's favorite artists right now are Rilo Kiley and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Not bad taste for a 63 year old fella!

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 07:41:00 am »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 09:19:00 am »
Originally posted by GabrielG54:
  has anyone ever gotten into carinvale? i just havent had the time, but always wondered..
I thought Carnivale was pretty lame...story never went anywhere and it tried so hard to be wierd that it was anything but.  And that midget is maybe the worst actor on tv.....

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 09:04:00 pm »
Agreed on Deadwood.  A lot of the dialogue has seemed very Shakespearean at times.  Carnivale has been a bit off a letdown this season.

hitman

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 01:50:00 am »
Absolutely love the show...and what a great first episode of the season.  Now that's a way to get you to tune it to every show this season.  Wow!