Author Topic: Tickets.com/box office sales issue  (Read 1965 times)

Bags

Tickets.com/box office sales issue
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Okay, I need a general discussion on this.  As many of us have noted for different shows over the past few months, 9:30 Club tickets have begun popping up on tickets.com well before the show is officially listed on the website (and, hence, before tickets are available from the club's box office).

Latest example, Snow Patrol.  This is a show I think will sell out, but do I really need to get tickets via internet (with attendant charges) now?  I'm not sure how to figure this out -- I realize I have to decide how important the show is, but....I'm still looking for advice.  I HATE paying service charges (except to the club itself) and avoid it 95% of the time.

Suggestions?  Discussion?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Tickets.com/box office sales issue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
Well as usual eddie can correct me on this, but i think that when a show goes up on tickets.com its also available at the box office as well.
T.Rex

jkeisenh

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 04:22:00 pm »
Yes, I biked over to the box office more than a week ago and bought Snow Patrol tix there, with just the $1 fee.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
Whoa, you're kidding?  Hmmm, I may have to get by there on my way to BWI in a couple hours....  Thanks!

andyrichter

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
I didn't know that tickets are on sale at the box office once they go on tickets.com.  I'll keep that in mind.  Service charges suck, especially if its going to be through the internet where they have an extra fee on top of the service charge.  I always buy my tickets at the box office but I finally had to cave in for the first time in months for the garbage show.  The tickets were $36 but I ended up paying an extra $9 in service charges!!!!    :mad:

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
i finally realized something.  if it wasn't for service charges, ticket companies would not supply tickets to the concerts that would not be played, and never seen by you or anyone else.  venues don't sell tickets, and if they solely did, they would charge service charges, because they could.  so unless you never ever want to see another concert again for the rest of your life . . . shut the f. up about a few extra dollars for the chance to see a live show.  that money pays someone to do a job and exist as a person, just like the ticket price pays the artist and club. do you bitch about sales tax and food tax, as well; if so, stop buying stuff and go live in a cave, licking the walls and eating blind cockroaches.  stop going to concerts, you eddie vedder wannabees.  remember, money controls everything, so deal with it.

markie

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i finally realized something. I talk out of my arse a lot and like run on sentences, please let me shut up so the voices in my head can go away then I might make some more sense till then I'll talk like riddles and be worthless.

distance

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
  i finally realized something.  if it wasn't for service charges, ticket companies would not supply tickets to the concerts that would not be played, and never seen by you or anyone else.  venues don't sell tickets, and if they solely did, they would charge service charges, because they could.  so unless you never ever want to see another concert again for the rest of your life . . . shut the f. up about a few extra dollars for the chance to see a live show.  that money pays someone to do a job and exist as a person, just like the ticket price pays the artist and club. do you bitch about sales tax and food tax, as well; if so, stop buying stuff and go live in a cave, licking the walls and eating blind cockroaches.  stop going to concerts, you eddie vedder wannabees.  remember, money controls everything, so deal with it.
i don't think that anyone is arguing that there should always be absolutely $0 in service charges.   it's at the times when the service charges seem downright excessive that people get pissed off.  such as when you buy a ticket for a show and the service charges raise the price by 30-60% total per ticket.

andyrichter

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
Hmmm.  So that realization JUST came to you?  What are you, 14?  Thanks for sharing.  And sales taxes!  Food taxes!!  Well I'll be damned, now I got something more to bitch and complain about.....I'll do so after I finish listening to some Even Flow.  

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 05:42:00 pm »
nanny, nanny, nanny nanny, boo boo.  man . . . i wish i was fourteen.  that would be awesome.  and i love talking out of my ass; it's a great trick that it has perfected to a tee:  a sound in which you can smell.  and you try using tape to shut it up, but on and on it goes throughout the night, trying to claim that it is it that is in control, and that it doesn't need me around anymore.  and talking in riddles is sooo charles manson.  what a loser i am.  yeah.  and you call yourself charlie cashew.

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
flaver flav

andyrichter

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 07:46:00 pm »
  this is a simple question, in which i'm sure the lords have tossed around countless occasions in here, and domination spewed my suffering but i wasn't there, so i need it repeated .  . . man. i ordered a ticket for an upcoming show and had it to be picked up at will call--something i've never done at nine thirty, aka, nine dirty, as in "what a dirty trick to do."  they had charged me money for shipping, as if to say, hey dude, we're pissed that we can't charge you shipping, so we'll charge you for shipping instead.  shipping for what?  shipping of more my money your way?  it's not that i really care about the amount of the three,twenty-five, but some priciple leads me to believe that said amount will increase one day, in hopes that most don't pay attention.

i'll take your advice when you do yours and quit your bitching.  i mean, what's an extra handling charge tacked on here and there.  because without those miscellanous extra few bucks, we won't be supplied with concerts and the workers need to live!

nanny, nanny, nanny nanny, boo boo.  man . . . i wish i was fourteen.  that would be awesome.  and i love talking out of my ass; it's a great trick that it has perfected to a tee:  a sound in which you can smell.  and you try using tape to shut it up, but on and on it goes throughout the night, trying to claim that it is it that is in control, and that it doesn't need me around anymore.  and talking in riddles is sooo charles manson.  what a loser i am.  yeah.  and you call yourself charlie cashew.
(Applauds) My DOG!

myuman

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 10:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
    because without those miscellanous extra few bucks, we won't be supplied with concerts and the workers need to live!
Stop it now... it is really starting to sound like you believe this.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 07:05:00 am »
Sales tax is a percentage of the item you are buying, so not really a good comparison...a ticket rip-off charge is a set fee, so if you are buying a $10 ticket you pay about double the face value after every other fucker other than the band and venue has put their hand in your wallet.

If they made service charges on tickets, say 7% of face value of the TRANSACTION, it would be almost acceptable, but to fuck you for service/covenience/handling for every single ticket is just ridiculous. How much more handling are they doing to put 6 tickets in an envelope than they are when putting 1 in?

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:30:00 pm »
andy . . . that was an old post of mine you commented from and i had said that i just figured this all out, so you can stop your complaining now.  i used to bitch about service charges, then i realized that i could yap away my precious oxygen or just go to shows and have fun.  money buys the world's entertainment; that is the way it goes.