Author Topic: Playing Musical Chairs in today's Washington Post  (Read 3092 times)

Roger Music

Playing Musical Chairs in today's Washington Post
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »
Playing Musical Chairs

By Ann E. Marimow and Miranda S. Spivack
 Washington Post Staff Writers
 Thursday, December 13, 2007; GZ03

Even as county officials push forward with a deal to bring one of Live Nation's Fillmore-style music halls to Silver Spring, debate continues in letters and e-mails from the community over whether County Executive Isiah Leggett (D) should take a look at an alternative offer from Seth Hurwitz of Bethesda-based I.M.P.

Howard County Executive Ken Ulman, who has worked with I.M.P. at Merriweather Post Pavilion, has weighed in on Hurwitz's behalf. Unsolicited, Ulman (D) wrote to Leggett to vouch for I.M.P.'s track record and urge him to consider Hurwitz's proposal for Silver Spring.

Ulman said Hurwitz "transformed" Merriweather from "a deep downward spiral under the management of Clear Channel Communications to a thriving, nationally recognized outdoor concert pavilion." Live Nation was spun off in 2005 from Clear Channel.

Ken Wingate, a manager at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, has started an e-mail campaign and petition drive in support of I.M.P. through a nonprofit he created called the Institute for Independent Music. The group's message appeals to Leggett to temporarily stop all talks with Live Nation "until the proposal of I.M.P. Productions, along with any other interested parties, has been given a fair and thorough chance in a competitive bidding process so that Montgomery County may get the best possible partner for this venture."

On the other side, the owner of the Rams Head nightclubs in Maryland has written to Leggett in strong support of Live Nation, which he calls a "first-class company."

Rams Head owner Bill Muehlhauser is critical of Hurwitz for what he says was an effort to try to block the Baltimore Rams Head from booking shows that might compete with the 9:30 Club that Hurwitz owns in the District. Muehlhauser takes issue with Hurwitz for "portraying himself as the 'small guy.' "

"This market is the only one left in the country where a club owner extends his powerful reach beyond his market and still has people listening to him. It is time for this to stop," wrote Muehlhauser, who has entered into an agreement with Live Nation to help him book shows.

"Call all my other competitors that aren't in business with Live Nation, and they'll tell you I compete fairly and we share mutual respect," Hurwitz said through his spokeswoman Audrey Fix Schaefer. "Rather than focus on sour grapes, we're just working to get the county to open up a fair process."

read on the article Washington Post website

Re: Playing Musical Chairs in today's Washington Post
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
I find it hard to believe that Seth would ever be mistaken for a "little guy".

Sage 703

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
i'm curious as to who Roger Music is, as all he's ever posted has been articles related to this issue.

I'm glad to read them, and think they're interesting and valuable to the discussion.  I just wish we had fewer people that just showed up on here to further their own agenda.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
The thing that cracks me up about the Rams Head owner is that Seth stated here on the forum that he passed on booking in that venue because it wasn't such a hot property.  And he really ought to be looking in his own backyard as Sonar, even without I.M.P. promoted shows there, appears to be bring 9:30 club quality acts on a regular basis. I'm guessin' the 9:30 club with it's reputation for state of the art facilities and professional staff are gonna win over a venue with no history.  There is a reason why a band like Wilco returns to the club on a regular basis.
T.Rex

The DCeiver

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  i'm curious as to who Roger Music is, as all he's ever posted has been articles related to this issue.

I'm glad to read them, and think they're interesting and valuable to the discussion.  I just wish we had fewer people that just showed up on here to further their own agenda.
I was curious who you are - so I googled the members of Soft Complex.  You wouldn't happen to be the band member that is also a Marketing Manager for Live Nation, would you?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisconnelly

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian WaIIace:

I was curious who you are - so I googled the members of Soft Complex.  You wouldn't happen to be the band member that is also a Marketing Manager for Live Nation, would you?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisconnelly [/b]
Uhhh...I didn't post this.  Two people can have the same display name?  I guess I'm more popular than I thought.

Brian

manimtired

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

busted!! lol.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
You get the best detective work of the day award.

احمد

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »
Agreed...but which Brian Wallace do we give it to????

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  You get the best detective work of the day award.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Uhhh...I didn't post this.  Two people can have the same display name?
My guess is the space between Brian and Wallace on the new BW is not a space but a "high-bit" plain character, making it appear to be the exact same name but on a technical level completely different.

Roger Music

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I post the articles here because I think folks on the 930 Club forum should know about this stuff.  I let the articles start the discussion as opposed to pushing my agenda with my comments.

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »
The l's in the first "brian wallace" are I's.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
Doesn't anyone here remember the Great Fake Account debacle a few years back?  Let's please not start that again.

Trust me, everyone things you're clever for realizing that upper-case I's look just like lower-case L's.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Doesn't anyone here remember the Great Fake Account debacle a few years back?  Let's please not start that again.

Trust me, everyone things you're clever for realizing that upper-case I's look just like lower-case L's.

[/b]
And moderator's can easily find out the original screen name...
T.Rex

Sage 703

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisconnelly  [/b]
Sure.  I'll own up to that, and I don't hide it.  I also know my place, so I don't advertise it.  Nice detective work.  Hopefully that at least gives some perspective to the big, faceless corporation that people seem to think Live Nation in DC is.  It is still made up of people who are active members of this community.  The people who have met me off this board, I hope, can testify to that.  A job is a job - and I'm lucky to have one where I get to work in music every day.