Author Topic: the Residents: Band's latest release: Blank discs  (Read 3882 times)

nkotb

the Residents: Band's latest release: Blank discs
« on: June 26, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Cult band the Residents and the Cordless e-label have teamed up to create something that is either a unique multimedia experience that will link the physical, digital and mobile worlds -- or is just plain wacky.

On June 13, Cordless issued the Residents' "River of Crime" -- a 1940s-style radio serial with a band-composed musical score -- in a cardboard double-CD package with artwork that reinforces the band's trademark eyeball, all for $14.99.

The catch? It contains two blank CDs so that the five episodes, which will be released sequentially during a 10-week period, can be burned after the last one becomes available. A unique code for each package allows users to unlock the subscription at riverofcrime.comexternal link.

from CNN.com

Re: the Residents: Band's latest release: Blank discs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:20:00 am »
Yeah, I read that too.  But I ain't gonna bite.  The Residents stuff after about 1996 sucks ass. It has become more "High Concept" and less musically absurdist.  Actually I think there's only one original Resident left in the band nowadays.  And I can say all of this safely, as I'm a huge Residents fan...got most of their earlier catalog!

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:00:00 am »
Fortunately, among the LPs that survived various purges are my copies of Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats and Duck Stab. I keep thinking I should try and sell them to some collector, because George from Vinyl Ink said years ago that they'd fetch hundreds from the right person.
oword

snailhook

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »
relaxer, you won't get that much for duck stab. that's one of my favorites, and i got it on LP used in the '90s for $5. i see it around occasionally, usually going for $10-$20.

i thought wormwood (1999) was pretty good, with an excellent tour backing it. demons dance alone was alright; saw that tour at the state theatre in 2002. their best years may be behind them, but the residents are still good.

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  relaxer, you won't get that much for duck stab.
Damn, well, good to know I can't count on that. Fortunately I've got a couple other rarities I can cash in for a weekend in Vegas.
oword

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 i thought wormwood (1999) was pretty good, with an excellent tour backing it. demons dance alone was alright; saw that tour at the state theatre in 2002.
They might have been good tours, but as albums they don't hold up too well compared to their primo stuff.  I was rather disappointed in Wormwood, the album.

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:29:00 pm »
agreed...the wormwood tour was much better than the accompanying album. i enjoyed the demons dance alone live show enough, but the record was forgettable. they have enough brilliant records that i can forgive them!