Author Topic: AARP - Attn: Aging Rockers Perfoming!  (Read 6300 times)

Tom Servo

Re: AARP - Attn: Aging Rockers Perfoming!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 05:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  Spoken like a true DC geek.

Originally posted by Tom Servo:

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
 [qb]  It would be interesting to track the profitability of the many companies involved in today's industry to see who is best managing the changing dynamics of recorded music sales (CD to mp3), concert attendance (arena to club), and band genres/demographics.  [/b]
[/b]
I'm happy to have met your high standards.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I'm actually fascinated by the narrow looking glass through which the live music scene is nearly always analyzed.
I guess that was my main complaint, that all these articles avoid (for the most part) any discussion of the concert industry outside of 20,000 person sheds and football stadiums -- if they do talk about clubs, it's just as an off-hand remark ... and it's definitely my fault that I've read every fucking article rolling stone has written about the death of rock and roll and about how there will never be another live pop concert after 2010 (they run one roughly once per issue, sometimes more frequently)
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:52:31 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  didn't punks and metal kids used to hate each other?  
Not when I was in high school...I think all the freaks were pretty much united by lunch time Marlboros and bowl-hits.

same here! but it was a common misconception by the non-freaks.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 09:54:06 am »
I think the issue here is that there are fewer and fewer acts that encourage people to be fans, but I blame that on the decaying music industry and music videos. U2 is still big, same thing with Pearl Jam. They cater to a devoted following who will shell out every time they tour, and there are enough casual fans who only go to 1 or 2 concerts a year so they make it a point to see them. Music isn't about LPs anymore, it's about singles and music videos. It has become totally disposable, just like fast food. Young people are fans of songs, not bands. So it is more difficult to find anyone that will become the next Rolling Stones or U2 because once upon a time it was about a band's catalog of records. These days, if you can squeeze a greatest hits out of a band, that's as far as it will go. Of course, what I'm referring to are the huge bands that will sell out the MCI Center. I think what we're seeing now is that a lot of bands are having to resort to playing clubs for $25 to $40 a pop because that is the only way they can make a living. The music industry has leveled all of the mid-to-large size bands, so it's a lot of smaller bands left on smaller labels that are happy to move 25,000 to 100,000 units.

you're making me sad.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 10:00:01 am »
this has to be one of the more interesting spambots i've ever seen...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 10:16:27 am »
this has to be one of the more interesting spambots i've ever seen...

kosmo: i tried using the "report to moderator" link to flag that spambot, but it failed.  i got the message Unable to send mail to the email address '' (note the single double quote at the end of the error message... maybe you have a space after it in the code?).

could you at least edit the post and remove the link?  that will nullify the spam-post's usefulness.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 07:13:23 pm »
AARP Concerts presents Everclear
"AARP  is celebrating the power of music and health, and we want you to be there!"
<sig>