Author Topic: DC Vegan Diner coming "soon"  (Read 1244 times)

bellenseb

DC Vegan Diner coming "soon"
« on: June 27, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
http://www.dcvegandiner.com/

I would LOVE this place. Afraid it won't happen, but you never know. Any rich vegan boardies should invest.

Sir HC

Re: DC Vegan Diner coming "soon"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:44:00 am »
First menu item -> Omelet.

how?

Then Ice cream, bacon, meatloaf and others that I can not see as vegan.  Sure you can make interpretations of them, but I don't think you can call a non-milk/cream based frozen dessert ice cream.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:57:00 am »
Have you not heard of fakin' bacon?

Originally posted by Sir HC:
  First menu item -> Omelet.

how?

Then Ice cream, bacon, meatloaf and others that I can not see as vegan.  Sure you can make interpretations of them, but I don't think you can call a non-milk/cream based frozen dessert ice cream.

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
But if you're a vegan, why would you want something that tastes like a meat product? I never understood that. Kinda setting yourself up for an inferiority complex. Veggie burgers are tasty and all, but I like a cheeseburger every six months or so.

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
But they talk of "soysage".  My problem is that if you are going to claim that it is "x" that it be "x".  Like buffalo wings, how do you make them vegan?  Will they include faux bones in the middle, and offer all parts of the wing emulated.

To me, there are diner things they can do that can be vegan, but to try to copy the true greasy spoon "everything has meat, even the vegatables" mantra in vegan style is just going to leave no one impressed.

I try to think of the set of people who like diner food and the people who like vegan food.  I don't know how much overlap there is.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
Anyone remember Food for Thought?  They used to serve veggie cold cut sandwiches.  They weren't bad.

I've also had a vegetarian Big Mac whilst traveling in India... also yummier.  Yummier than a real one I'd say.

Fake meat is weird, but sometimes it works.  Although it underminds some vegists' contention that humans are not naturally meat eaters.
_\|/_

bellenseb

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 11:53:00 am »
I feel like this place might need to offer veggie options (i.e. with real cheese/eggs) as well as the vegan versions in order to survive.

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  Anyone remember Food for Thought?  They used to serve veggie cold cut sandwiches.  They weren't bad.

I've also had a vegetarian Big Mac whilst traveling in India... also yummier.  Yummier than a real one I'd say.

Fake meat is weird, but sometimes it works.  Although it underminds some vegists' contention that humans are not naturally meat eaters.
Isn't Food For Thought now part of the Black Cat?