Author Topic: Bonnaroo Roll Call  (Read 13573 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Bonnaroo Roll Call
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:00 am »
Probably one of the main reasons to go to Bonnaroo this year. I'm glad you saw them. I was waiting for someone to mention them LOL (sadly I didn't go to Bonnaroo...)

Originally posted by lukas:

Did anyone else see Sigur Ros? Blew my mind. The crowd was so into it too. Amazing.
(_|_)

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:00 am »
My wife caught Sigur Ros in the ATT Blueroom while waiting to watch Death Cab. She said Death Cab was good, but Sigur Ros was horrible.

I was asleep and missed it all.

Dammit, was it really MIA's last show? I was so tired that I napped instead of seeing her set.
 Did anyone else see Sigur Ros? Blew my mind. The crowd was so into it too. Amazing.

Cash is King

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Thursday:
  I saw MGMT.  was wanted to see Vampire Weekend and some of Lez Zeppelin, but with the drive, i was finished.  MGMT was good, but like somebody mentioned above, would probably be even better in a club.
 Friday:
 Racontuers were their same kick ass self from a few weeks ago at the Club. Metallica really showed up. Stuck to their classic albums, and really seemed like they wanted to prove to Bonnaroo that it wasn't a mistake bringing them.
 My Morning Jack was amazing too. But halfway thru it, i was freezing from the rain and decided to pack it in.  I wish i could have stayed for the whole set.
 Saturday:
 Really wanted to see Gogol Bordello, having heard they were one of the best live bands around.  They did not disappoint.  TONS of energy, they just really look like they are having fun up there.  Caught some of Cat Power, Ben Folds, then the end of BB King.  The crowd really seemed like they wanted to give BB King his proper due.  Got up close for Jack Johnson.  Virgin Fest seems that much weaker to me this  year after seeing him. He sucks and has ZERO stage presence.  Pearl Jam kicked ass and seemed like they played forever, which was fine by me.  I just wish Eddie would shut up and play.
 Sunday:
 A little bit of OAR.  they suck.  Front Row for Robert Plant.  I didn't think his voice would sound as good as it did.  And I really like how they mix in just the right Zeppelin tracks into their set.  i then saw the very end of Death Cab and called it a Festival.

I also saw some of Willie Nelson, which i think was friday or saturday???  can't remember.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »
i saw them last night in NYC... abso-fucking-lutely amazing.  indeed mind-blowing.  their sound really lends itself to a big amplified setting.  so beautifully emotional.  i can't speak highly enough of this show.  i'm already making plans to be at both NYC concerts in september (assuming they're still on - they've been taken off TM).

the venue - manhattan center grand ballroom - was great.  provided really nice ambience, both sonic and visual.  ushers up on the balcony were really chill, i was able to move out of my crappy seat and park myself against the wall behind the mixer. i don't think a vinyl flea market in williamsburg could have attracted more hipsters.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
 She said Death Cab was good, but Sigur Ros was horrible.
DCFC were indeed really good, loved that webcast.  i was surprised to see how much chris walla has taken over the keys.  i think ben only played keyboards on "transatlanticism".  ben's heel-shuffle was kinda ridiculous, boy was trying too hard.

it's understandable that a sigur ros webcast is underwhelming.  there is nothing going on, on stage - i spent most of last night's show with my eyes closed.  watching them on a small screen, with small sound, is bound to be disappointing.  their webcase bored me too, i turned it off... and had my mind blown the following night by their live sound (and sound only).
<sig>

daves122

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

azaghal1981

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »
I liked it.

Originally posted by daves122:
  http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Bonnaroo-2008
احمد

daves122

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
Thanks!

killsaly

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I liked it.

Originally posted by daves122:
   http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Bonnaroo-2008  
[/b]
seconded.  
 i agree with a lot of what you wrote, and experienced a lot of it for myself, minus the domestic violence and most of the bands.

daves122

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 02:18:00 am »
I went last year too and felt the vibe was a lot different this time around. I really do cite the ravers from keeping me from enjoying it entirely. Last year, I was able to get enough rest and wake up  when I wanted to stay up late.

walkonby

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 09:13:00 am »
the next time you hear someone playing techno, beat the shit out them.  they're probably on drugs, so they won't feel it.

daves122

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
Ha! There was enough violence there with the cops.

killsaly

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 09:56:00 am »
why would ravers want to camp with hippies and listen to phil lesh?  stick with WMC ravers.  was it due to Tiesto on the bill? None of the other music was really raver friendly, but i guess when you are hopped up on what they were, anything can be danced to, as i saw a couple of them twirling around while Chris Rock did his thing.

daves122

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
I don't think it matters who is playing when you can go somewhere and get all fucked up. I swear my site was like a cross-section of the scum of the earth: a drug dealer, a domestic battle, the ravers, someone had stuff stolen....

lukiedookie89

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »
Does anyone have a link to some recordings from this year?

azaghal1981

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »
The Disco Biscuits were on the bill; many of their fans like to pretend to be ravers.

It's quite comical, actually.
احمد