Author Topic: Bonnaroo Roll Call  (Read 13560 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Bonnaroo Roll Call
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24:00 am »
i think it's almost become a new sport in the music industry: piss off kanye, since he's so piss-offable, and watching him complain.

Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:
 I wouldnt dare blame Pearl Jam for any wrong doings on this board...
huh?  until very recently, taking shots at PJ as un-hip boring has-beens was quite common here!
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24:00 am »
But Kanye is such a complete pile of horse-douche that he will take the blame for it, and I've got no problem with that.

First of all, he's the one who initially moved his set to after PJ's headliner spot. He says its because he wanted his ravey glowsticks to light up, but you know he loved the fact that it meant he was closing the festival.

And, from what I've read, he and his crew didn't exactly hustle to get his spaceship set up, and when he finally did come on, he didn't acknowledge how late he was.

But again, I think the primary reason Kanye will get the blame for this is because he has so quickly built a history of being a jackoff. And if this is the worst insult he's ever gotten, then motherscratcher has had it pretty damn easy.
oword

killsaly

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:00 am »
you cant blame Pearl Jam.  They were supposed to play that stage at the alloted time.  Kanye had them switch his slot AND stage around last minute.  He had from 1:15 to 2:45 to set up.  That is plenty of time. But it took him over three hours to set up?  So why did it take them so long?  And it didnt even seem like anything was happening on stage the while everyone waited.  And that is an hour and a half late, not an hour, which means, if it was PJ's fault, it was still Kanyes for being even extra later.  

West's set was originally scheduled for 8:15 p.m. the night of June 14, but the rapper requested it be moved later in the evening so it was sufficiently dark for his "glow-in-the-dark" performance. But because of the late start, midway through his performance the morning light began to show â?? revealing a substantially thinned-out audience.  
And he shouldnt have been there anyway.  How many people came there for Kanye?  Probably none.  And are they going to give him 3 + hours to set up at V Fest?

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by killsaly:
  And he shouldnt have been there anyway.  How many people came there for Kanye?  Probably none.  
At least you acknowledged the real reason he's being shit on for this.  If this had been the other way around, do you think Kanye would be getting railed for going an hour over?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
  you cant blame Pearl Jam.  They were supposed to play that stage at the alloted time.  
The article says they played for an hour past their scheduled time.

I have no doubt that Kanye is a whiny dick and is partly to blame.  I wouldn't let PJ off the hook completely though (assuming the article is correct about them playing too long).

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 10:25:00 am »
PJ was scheduled to play 10:15 to 12:15 which for them is a short set to start with and they were at one point the headliner that day...

What I'm confused about is what was the schedule like before Kayne wanted to be moved from 8:45 to 2:15, seeing as Jack Johnson had to be it in there as well.
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 10:38:00 am »
Jack Johnson was to play on the mainstage (what stage), and Kanye was supposed to play on the smaller stage (Which stage) at the same time.
 I originally thought Kanye switched so he wouldnt have to play the side stage and have to compete with JJ.

sonickteam2

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

And, from what I've read, he and his crew didn't exactly hustle to get his spaceship set up
I would like to know where you read that. and was Kanye really helping set up the stage?

I have never thrown a festival but it seems from working at venues, the artists have about as much to do with setting up the show day of as the fans do.

so wheres this article that talks of lolly-gagging roadies?

walkonby

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

And, from what I've read, he and his crew didn't exactly hustle to get his spaceship set up
I would like to know where you read that. and was Kanye really helping set up the stage?

I have never thrown a festival but it seems from working at venues, the artists have about as much to do with setting up the show day of as the fans do.

so wheres this article that talks of lolly-gagging roadies? [/b]
go buy and watch "flaming lips - ufos at the zoo" and you'll see what a real band does to be involved with setting up the stage show.  i'm sure kanye watched it, seeing how he now has a spaceship on stage.

killsaly

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

And he shouldnt have been there anyway.  How many people came there for Kanye?  Probably none.  
At least you acknowledged the real reason he's being shit on for this.  If this had been the other way around, do you think Kanye would be getting railed for going an hour over? [/b]
Exactly.  I only went to wait for nis show due to my friends being interested in the show.  When we sat down to wait at 2:45, there was hardly anyone there.  I made the comment to my friends that Kanye was going to be pissed because of how few people were in attendance.  I then fell asleep waiting, and when my friend woke me up at 3:30 to leave, there was even less people.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
I'm willing to bet it's all  because some 24 hour news network was down there, or picked up some local tv's footage, then looped all day long a couple people pissed off he went on late and the image of kanye sucks written on the porta potties.   now he's blaming everyone but himself because his image got tainted again.
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
In my opinion, any stage show requiring that much time to set up should not be booked for a festival.

And Kanye becomes more of a conceited douche everyday.

Ive gradually come to the conclusion that alot of really good musiciains are assholes more often than not.  For example Prince, Dylan, Beck if what the Flaming Lips say about him is true.  But its never affected how I view their music.  However, I can't listen to Kanye much anymore.  And his "typed in all caps" blogs piss me off to no end.  As does that random and awkward referwence to the fact that he owns a macbook.

Relaxer

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Sorry Literate Roadie, you're correct, Kanye himself was probably not out there humping crates with the rest of the true American roadie heroes. The point was gleaned from multiple accounts, from individuals' blog postings to news accounts of PJ ending at 1:15 am and Kanye starting at 4:30 am, and I pretty much assed out that 3+ hours was an unreasonable delay, especially at a festival. I didn't intend to malign your roadie brethren, you roadie you.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Sorry Literate Roadie, you're correct, Kanye himself was probably not out there humping crates with the rest of the true American roadie heroes. The point was gleaned from multiple accounts, from individuals' blog postings to news accounts of PJ ending at 1:15 am and Kanye starting at 4:30 am, and I pretty much assed out that 3+ hours was an unreasonable delay, especially at a festival. I didn't intend to malign your roadie brethren, you roadie you. [/b]
I am not a roadie. my point was that I have been to tons of shows and never been like "look at those roadies, they sure are taking their time putting that stage together"  I mean, i was there and it wasnt like they were shooting dice, smoking cigarettes up there in between sets.

PJ went on late + Kanye is an asshole = its Kanye's fault the whole thing got messed up.

Thing I dont get is if there was so few people waiting for him to play and no one cared about seeing him, why is there such a big deal?

He went on late and no one cared right?

Its amazing to me how terribly offbase news stories really are.  It makes it sound like 80,000 people were calling for Kanye's head. When in reality there was about 8,000 people at that stage, and i'd say about 500 were pissed that he was late.

killsaly

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Just read the blog all the way through.  thought this was funny:

WE'D SEND THEM OUR SPECS THEN THEY THEY'D SAY OK... THEN THEY WOULD SEND SPECS BACK THAT DIDN'T FIT THE STAGE. WE WERE OBVIOUSLY DEALING WITH FUCKING IDIOTS WHO DIDN'T REALLY HAVE THE CAPACITY TO REALLY PUT ON THIS SHOW PROPERLY  
If they didnt have the capacity, how did they pull off a four day, 150 + artist event, with only his issue being the big one?  doesnt sound like bonnaroo was to blame, seems like a KanyeWorld issue.  
 And:

SOMETIMES I GO 2, 3 DAYS W/O SLEEP WORKING ON MY PERFORMANCE... I HAVE TO ICE MY KNEES AFTER EVERY SHOW AND THEY HURT WHEN I WALK THROUGH THE AIRPORT...

What a cry baby.... Some artists work on their "performances"  a lot longer than that, and dont go complaining about it in their blogs.