Author Topic: new music discussion idea---whaddaya think?  (Read 3496 times)

Richard D Taylor

new music discussion idea---whaddaya think?
« on: February 18, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
As I've said in a previous post on this board, I'm a regular listener to this radio program called Roundtable that airs on the BBC website.  I think it's a lot of fun to discuss opinions and listen to what other informed people have to say about new music.  I think it would be really cool if we could kind of have our own 9:30 board member version of Roundtable, where we gather together, listen to some new tunes and then discuss them. So I've come up with an idea:

Once a month, I co-host a monthly indie music night called "We Fought the Big One" at the Marx Cafe off Mt. Pleasant St, NW.  The main idea behind the night is to expose music fans to new music they haven't heard before, whether it's a brand new import only recording, a general new release or something vintage that has fallen through the cracks and not gotten the attention it deserved.  

So here's what I'm thinking:  We can try to reserve a table (or two, depending on how many of you come) for 9:30 board members during this night so you guys have a place to hang out together, enjoy a drink and listen to some new tunes and discuss.  As I mentioned earlier, some of these will be songs from import-only releases that you probably won't hear anywhere else, some of them will be from new albums and singles that are released domestically, and then there will be some lesser known, old stuff also (gotta have some variety).

So what do you guys think?  Personally I think it would be a lot of fun and a great way to get turned on to some new music...

The next "We Fought..." will be Friday March 5th and run from 10pm - 3am.  And it's free all night.

So with that said, here's a few of the artists that I'm thinking about playing that night...

Keane
 Electrelane
 Lomax
 The Movies
 Sing-Sing
 Saloon
 Elbow
 Stereolab
 The Liberty Ship
 Lovejoy
 The Rosemarys
 Singapore Sling

mankie

Re: new music discussion idea---whaddaya think?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:36:00 pm »
You mean like a book discussion club, only for music?

Sounds like it would be fun for those who are really into music...which I was, but kind of lost track, and a little bit of interest.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Sounds like it would be fun for those who are really into music...which I was, but kind of lost track, and a little bit of interest.
No service charge....

ggw

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 04:51:00 pm »
So this would be "listeny-talkie"

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
Exactly. And the music isn't usually played so loud that you can't hear what people are saying.  Having a conversation while a band is playing at the 9:30 Club is usually impossible...

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »

Well Mankie, here's your chance to regain that interest.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
or "listenie-suffery" depending on what is playing.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

mankie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 05:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

Well Mankie, here's your chance to regain that interest.   :D

godsshoeshine

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »
mankie reminds me of mike lupica a little bit. except, not a doodle, obviously
o/\o

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
RYI: Mike Lupica has a radio show on WFMU (music, not sports)

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/HT

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

mankie

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
who?

Bags

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
I think it's a fabulous idea, and right up my alley.  I've been planning on hitting the "Big One" nights anyway.  Though, alas, I'm in San Fran for the next one (and missed the last because I was in N.Y.C., though I did send an emissary in my stead).

Hell, I'll bring a table of baggie peeps, and maybe run into some boardies as well!

So see you at the listenie/talkie in April!

(Blue Room wouldn't be a bad place for something similar...when's the next Atmosphere?)

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 05:22:00 pm »
He's a sportswriter for the New York Post, I believe.

who? [/b]

Medusa

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 05:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  (Blue Room wouldn't be a bad place for something similar...when's the next Atmosphere?)
Hi Bags!

Sunday March 21st.

But anytime anyone from this board wants to meet up/hang out/chat, etc. myself and DJ Strange spin every Sunday (as I think everyone knows) ... I'd love to meet people and talk!  :)

VAPOR is up this Sunday night (synth/wave/electronic).

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 05:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I think it's a fabulous idea, and right up my alley.  I've been planning on hitting the "Big One" nights anyway.  Though, alas, I'm in San Fran for the next one (and missed the last because I was in N.Y.C., though I did send an emissary in my stead).

Hell, I'll bring a table of baggie peeps, and maybe run into some boardies as well!

So see you at the listenie/talkie in April!

The next Atmosphere is Sunday, March 21st---I can't wait!

Hopefully Bags, there will be another "Big One" in April, but in all honesty, that depends on whether or not enough people show up on Friday March 5th.  Supposedly the owner of the Marx Cafe is ready to pull the plug on it if we don't draw enough of a crowd that night.  So even if you can't go, definitely tell other music fans about it.  I can say that the people that showed up for the last one (our first) seemed to have a lot of fun...and both DJs got a lot of compliments about the music.  :)