Author Topic: VFest 2008  (Read 12142 times)

El Jefe Design

Re: VFest 2008
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
Not  to plug an outside event, but the University of Baltimore in College Park is doing something called Sweet Booth in support of a concert poster art exhibit titled Sweet. There will be 13 or so different artists from around the country, including El Jefe Design , selling there stuff on February 6th, the same day the exhibit opens. The exhibit itself will have roughly 27 designers each showing ten pieces.

Paste already mentioned this here:  Rock Poster Article

fatskippy

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:00 am »
How about you move it back to September when its not close to 100 degrees again?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I would tend to agree, but then why not just see those bands within the intimate confines of the club?

Originally posted by kosmo:

Personally, I'd been more interest in a festival with two medium size stages with the type of acts that typically play the 9:30 club or auditoriums.  

[/b]
Partly, because I'm not going to see every band that comes through the club, a festival gives you the opportunity to sample artists, see bands that you passed up on, play catch up with, etc...  I honestly was never completely sold on the Hold Steady until catching part of their set at Bonnaroo, and now they are a band I'll make the effort to see again.
T.Rex

alex

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »
Perhaps this is why the Foo Fighters have no local dates on their current tour?

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
Fair enough. For me, I just don't see the need to see every band, be it over a number of nights at a club, or strung out through an entire day...

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I would tend to agree, but then why not just see those bands within the intimate confines of the club?

Personally, I'd been more interest in a festival with two medium size stages with the type of acts that typically play the 9:30 club or auditoriums.  

[/b]
Partly, because I'm not going to see every band that comes through the club, a festival gives you the opportunity to sample artists, see bands that you passed up on, play catch up with, etc...  I honestly was never completely sold on the Hold Steady until catching part of their set at Bonnaroo, and now they are a band I'll make the effort to see again. [/b]

Shadrach

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
Well as long as we're starting rumors can I toss Zeppelin into the mix?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »
Agreed. So who's going to Coachella and Lolla again this year?   :D  

Partly, because I'm not going to see every band that comes through the club, a festival gives you the opportunity to sample artists, see bands that you passed up on, play catch up with, etc...  I honestly was never completely sold on the Hold Steady until catching part of their set at Bonnaroo, and now they are a band I'll make the effort to see again.
(_|_)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Well as long as we're starting rumors can I toss Zeppelin into the mix?
No.  Dear God.  No.

Brian

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »
intelligent comments & good feedback...helps me a little bit more than "YUCK"

appreciate it

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
I wasn't referring to the festival itself, just the two unconfirmed acts. But you do what ya gotta do to bring in the $$$. Or maybe you can tell the Foo Fighters to perform their entire debut album and maybe I'll consider going  ;)

I can live with R.E.M...

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

appreciate it
(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
 I can live with R.E.M...

As much as I dislike festivals, I'd gladly buy VIP tickets if R.E.M. are playing.....especially if it got me into their secret 9:30 show.   :)

bkrome

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
Although I would rather not see Jack Johnson on the bill at Vfest, I can't blame Seth if he ends up on it.  If I remember correctly, he sold out Merriweather with great ease a couple years back and would probably draw a lot of people who would not usually fork up the money it cost for a big festival.  

I think Foo Fighters would be a great headliner for one night.

While were at it, I would love to see Modest Mouse again but instead on the main stage and not up against a group like the Police.

killsaly

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
I skipped the Police for Modest Mouse, and am glad I did.  
 As for the two mentioned groups, I would love to see Jack Johnson again, and V Fest would be a great setting for him. As for the Foo Fighters, I do not really listen to them or like them, and would probally be at the second stage while they played, but they are a popular band, and a lot of people would probally come out for them.  

My votes:
 My Morning Jacket
 Interpol
 nine inch nails
 Underworld
 Daft Punk

K8teebug

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »
Jack Johnson will bring alot of stupid people to the VFest whom I'd rather not be around in intense heat for fear of striking them.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

appreciate it
I would like to cast my vote for some band, ANY band, that will inspire a mass, Dionysic expression of love, unity and hot, wet poking.  I'm sick of all this reformed, straight-laced, boring, Amish, white, white, white indie rock.  No Wilco.  No Foo Fighters.  No R.E.M.  Something you can shake your ass to and let your freak flag fly!  It's 2008!  The world's coming to end soon anyhow (at least, the American world.)  Let's break some laws and get laid!  V Fest 2008!  You have my permission to use that as your slogan.

You know...naked hippy orgy.

Brian

<small>[ 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: kosmo ]</small>