Author Topic: The Life Aquatic  (Read 2852 times)

TEM

The Life Aquatic
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:57:00 pm »
Anyone see this yet?  I was underwhelmed.

markie

Re: The Life Aquatic
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
Did you like the Royal Tennnenbaums though?

booradley17

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:31:00 am »
Underwhelmed is a perfect description for how I felt about this flick.I have enjoyed all of Wes Anderson's previous films a great deal and really went into this one rooting for it.While it does have many quirky charms and Anderson's unusual filmmaking style ultimately it doesn't deliver the big bellylaughs and has trouble walking the line between goofy comedy and serious dramatic examination.Bill Murray is very entertaining as usual in the lead role but some very good actors(Willem Dafoe,Cate Blanchett) seem to be relegated to playing not fully realised characters.This having been said,I would still recommend seeing it with the caveat to soak in the little odd details of the movie and don't expect to bedazzled by the plot or story.And hell it's still gonna' be a lot more entertaining than most of the crap out there in googolplexland.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
i've been hearing mixed things from wesfans. will still see it at some point, though
o/\o

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
it's more of a cinematographer's movie; visually nice, and angles with carefully chosen lens, to impress . . . but nothing much more.  i think murray is still pissed (and bummed) about losing out last year on the oscar for "l. i. t.", and hasn't gotten back into a groove.  oh the good ole days of movies like "scrooge."

TEM

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 10:13:00 am »
I loved the Royal Tennenbaums.  I still can't exactly decide what's missing in Life Aquatic.  It may be the characters, which we don't love & understand like RT.

Also, unlike RT, if you don't like this movie, it doesn't mean you don't "get" Wes Anderson.

smakawhat

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
God awful pretentious smug and trite would be better adjectives I would use to describe this piece of dung heap.

Horrid film

bellenseb

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Life Aquatic was a biiiig letdown after Rushmore and Tenenbaums...I simply didn't care about the characters.

Especially a letdown since it was co-written by Noah Baumbach (Kicking & Screaming), surely one of the best films of the 90s.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
   i think murray is still pissed (and bummed) about losing out last year on the oscar for "l. i. t.", and hasn't gotten back into a groove.  oh the good ole days of movies like "scrooge."
I think Bill Murray misses Harold Ramis.
27>34

markie

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Life Aquatic was a biiiig letdown after Rushmore and Tenenbaums...I simply didn't care about the characters.

Which charcters did you care about in the RT's?

thirsty moore

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
You've been asking plenty of questions on this thread.  Did you like Royal Tenenbaums?  I thought it was excellent.

Originally posted by Xmasie Markie:
 Which charcters did you care about in the RT's?

npetting

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
I can't see why everyone is dissapointed with Life Aquatic.  The movie obviously didn't have the character development that Royal Tenenbaums or Rushmore had, but it's so easy to see past that.  This was one of the most visually stunning films I'v e ever seen.  Wes Anderson should be commended for the movies he makes.  Originality is so hard to find these days in American cinema.  And I'm sorry, this was one of the funniest movies this year.

eilo97

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 06:38:00 pm »
i was extremely impressed by the life aquatic.  wes anderson truly is a genius, and has never disappointed me.

TheWaz

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
I was disappointed.  I got so much enjoyment out of RT.  There were some great moments in Life Aquatic that were great... and the visuals were excellent (like the cutaway ship), but overall it didnt deliver.  maybe i "dont get it" (tehe)

Darth Ed

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
I finally saw this last night, and I loved it! I thought it was hilarious and the most visually inventive film I've seen all year, other than perhaps The Incredibles. I think this is Wes Anderson's best film to date. For the record, I loved Rushmore, but I only liked The Royal Tenenbaums.