Author Topic: Interesting words on the early DC punk scene...  (Read 1937 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Interesting words on the early DC punk scene...
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »
Warning, this will probably only be of interest to old timers   :p  

This is from Bruce Hellington, formerly known as Bruce Merkle, from 9353, interviewed in the new issue of Stop Smiling, which focuses on DC:

"I gotta hand it to the whole Dischord crew," says Hellington.   "They were in the midst of instigating a huge international youth bully culture."

He adds:

"Washington has this really annoying style... it took me years to examine it all.  There is a lot of fear and a lot of weird ideas here.  The majority of people we've rubbed elbows with in the music scene are offspring of either the government, media, or military.  So you have the punk rock scene functioning as some horribly gone wrong political student event, where there is all this hierarchy and snobbery, all of this unnecessary rudeness and just mean-spirited, private-school competition crap."

On a more positive note:

"We came up in a very interesting window that was over by the mid-Eighties.   We were so hypercritical of plagiarism...  you were absolute shit if you were anything like another band.  That was the cool thing.  You had all of these bands that were making serious strides to invent their own thing.  I'm so happy to have been part of those times."

9353's Myspace
_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Interesting words on the early DC punk scene...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »
I love ol' Bruce.

My first trip to DC Space was to see 9353 when I was 14 or 15.  The whole thing really blew my mind.  Years later I became friends with Bruce but at the time he really freaked me out.  Being used to the typical hardcore bands from that time 9353 really stuck out in DC.  And  Bruce was (and still is) just nuts.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Interesting words on the early DC punk scene...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
Chaz, I was probably there as I never missed a show.   He always struck me as kind of scary and inaccessible -- especially when they released their stuff on vinyl and I was finally able to understand all of the lyrics.  Yikes!  But in that interview he doesn't come off as crazy at all.  I love his new self-chosen moniker too.

I've seen some of the reunions over the years, but without the odd bunch of Carmer / Bockis / Joseph it's never been quite as good.  I understand they didn't get along at all but apparently that tension enhanced the music.
_\|/_