Author Topic: REM Roll Call  (Read 10279 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: REM Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:
 When Stipe pulled out the Obama button (he was nice enough to wait to get campaign-ey til the end, half of the crowd boo-ed.  Yes, Michael, most of your fans are now old enough that they only care about themselves and vote Republicsn.    ;)  

maybe in the pavilion. out on the lawn i didnt really hear any boos

sure were alot of really drunk 50 year olds though
o/\o

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

When Stipe pulled out the Obama button (he was nice enough to wait to get campaign-ey til the end, half of the crowd boo-ed.  Yes, Michael, most of your fans are now old enough that they only care about themselves and vote Republicsn.     ;)    

maybe in the pavilion. out on the lawn i didnt really hear any boos
 sure were alot of really drunk 50 year olds though [/b]
In the pit. Tons of boos.
 oh old people.

if it's any indication of the crowd - I got these texts from a friend across the pit:
 "in the row in front of us i think there are swingers. there are five couples all over 45 and i think they will watch REM and then go home and have sex with each other. i think they are the cast of that new cbs show 'swingtown'"

and a little later:
 "i'm sorry you don't have swingers in front of you. i see capri pants, sequins and an eye patch"
nothx

lagas

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:00 am »
amazing show, Let Me In was phenomenal, (Dont Go Back To) Rockville a highlight, I cant vote in this country, but when that Obama pin appeared in the screen, I cheered my lungs out.
zorra

Vas Deferens

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 09:46:00 am »
anyone wanna carpool to philly on wed??
(_|_)

Bags

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  anyone wanna carpool to philly on wed??
Man, if work weren't...well, work, I'd LOVE to go.

Some thoughts on thoughts here:

- Stipe is only 48.  Folks still are, like, alive and doing well at 48.

- There was no way I could make it for The National, but glad they hopefully made new fans and were well received.  They deserve it.

- Jerry Garcia dude is Scott McCaughy, who was in the Young Fresh Fellows (which certainly comes off as ironic based on his appearance) and now is in the Minus Five with Buck, and the Venus Three with  Buck and Robyn Hitchcock.  He's been the fifth member of REM (both in the studio and on the road) for a long time.  Maybe 10 years?

- Crowd was pretty interesting.  Very into it, which is all I really ask.

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »
  When Stipe pulled out the Obama button (he was nice enough to wait to get campaign-ey til the end, half of the crowd boo-ed.  Yes, Michael, most of your fans are now old enough that they only care about themselves and vote Republicsn.    ;)  

He got a very similar reaction in Berkeley, well, except that is was the exact opposite.  And this, after he told the "old people" from the Bay Area that chardonnay drinkers were not his people.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »
to the right of us we had two 50 year old couples that were really hammered and looked like they were ready for golf

behind us we had a group of teenage girls that grabbed my ass serveral times

but uh, the national was great, i actually enjoyed modest mouse somewhat, and rem was really fun. mike sure is a trooper wearing that suit all night
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
Well, lets be honest.  When you shake it like that it's hard not to.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:

if it's any indication of the crowd - I got these texts from a friend across the pit:
 "in the row in front of us i think there are swingers. there are five couples all over 45 and i think they will watch REM and then go home and have sex with each other. i think they are the cast of that new cbs show 'swingtown'"

thats funny!!! I had these 2 cougars in the front row talking to me all night long.  One even tried to buy me a beer.

Another thing i noticed is that there wasnt one single t-shirt worn at the show last night. collared shirts for everyone...and yes, many capri pants. arent those out of style already?

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
  Another thing i noticed is that there wasnt one single t-shirt worn at the show last night. collared shirts for everyone...
The people watching at our show was over the top.  We were playing a new game: guess which era REM the bald guy is trying to imitate.

Endless enjoyment.

And for the record, I had on my 9:30 club t-shirt.  Collared shirts on the weekends are for pussies.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Well, lets be honest.  When you shake it like that it's hard not to. [/b]
gotta use what god gave you, what can i say

tshirt for me too
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
Likely BECAUSE I have so much work to do, I'm reading about R.E.M.  Interesting article from 1996, just as they signed their Warner mega-deal and folks were wondering how soon the demise of the band would come.  This is before Bill Berry leaves the band, but after that tough Monster tour with all the emergency medical procedures.

Of note, Buck talking about what the future may hold.  You know, way far away like when he's 50.  He's 51 now.

"We're trying to keep it as forward-looking as possible and not embarass ourselves, and I think we're suceeding," Buck says. "I want to be the one. There's never been a rock band that's lasted and kept at it. I'm 39 now. By the time every one of the major classic great bands, when the songwriters were my age, they had been a nostalgia band for 10 years, or five years at the very best. I want to be the one. U2--they're our age--maybe the two of us can do that. I want to be 50 and turn in a record that's great. And I know that probably then we're not gonna sell 10 million copies, and that's cool. It would be nice if we could gold and have people go, 'You know, those old fuckers really keep at it. No matter what people say, it's a really good record.' It will all trail down--we won't be sitting in four trailers talking; I'll be on the phone with you--but I think that I can do this when I'm 50.

"I've seen a lot of the pitfalls that bands have gone through, and I'm going to try to avoid most of those," Buck continues. "Everybody makes mistakes, and maybe mine won't be to become a nostagia act. But if I find myself playing 800-seat clubs and all of us are on one bus, I could do that. Maybe not every night of the year, but we're not stupid people, I'm not going to have to work like that. We're talking about maybe doing a theater tour some time, and maybe having a vibes player and a cello player and a piano player and doing some of the quieter stuff. Which is something I could do when I'm 50."

wml7

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
Good show overall.  The National was pretty good.  Interpolish and Walkmen like.  Modest Mouse was good too.  REM put on a great show.  One of the bands I always wanted to see.  This time decided to park in the mall lot instead of main entrance.  Much faster getting out.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »
oh yeah, we hung out for maybe 15 minutes after rem got off and got out of the main lot really quick. only took maybe an hour and 15 minutes to get all the way back to sterling. that was a nice little bonus
o/\o

Mobius

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
I was actually surprised how many young people i saw having a great time.

But it was interesting during Driver 8 (and probably others) where the old folks were clearly more fired up.