Author Topic: Holy Weezer!  (Read 6393 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Holy Weezer!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
Well, got back last night from the motherland.

I wanted to report back to anyone who likes Weezer or just maybe thinks they are ok.  read this:  YOU HAVE TO GO SEE THEM!!!!

I hated Weezer when Buddy Holly came out and the Sweater Song made me want to kill people, but after Pinkerton and the Green Album i began to warm up to them.  

Friday night in Toronto, they blew me away. They have such a powerful sound and they are very polished, as a band should be after playing together for over 10 years.  They drove through a lot of new stuff which is some of thier best, and they played all kinds of old songs, even Buddy Holly and the Sweater song for those of you who like the Weezer of old.

Rivers is totally wierd, and you can tell cause he doesnt even do wierd things on stage, hes just THAT WIERD!!!! They were all friendly with the crowd and seem to be glad to be out on the road.

When they make it to DC, I know I'll be back to see them again.  I think they'll be winning a lot of new fans this time around....

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
I met the guys in the band back in 2001 I think, whenever it was they reformed. Rivers is extremely shy and reserved. He seemed alright, but I really ended up probably feeling more uncomfortable than he did. Sometimes that happens with a musician. They clearly are thrust into this crazy place that they probably never expected. Mikey Walsh was with the band at that point and you could already see the cracks starting to show. Did anyone see Pitchfork's review of the new record? OUCH!

ggw

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
 They drove through a lot of new stuff which is some of thier best,
Weezer
 Make Believe
 [Interscope; 2005]
 Rating: 0.4

If you're one of those poor souls who while away the day job by keeping a scorecard of music review sites, there's one thing you already know: There are two distinct groups of bad albums. The more prevalent kind is the fodder that fills a critic's mailbox, bands with awkward names and laser-printed cover art that don't inspire ire so much as pity. The second group is more treacherous: Bands that yield high expectations due to past achievements, yet, for one reason or another, wipe out like "The Wide World of Sports"' agony-of-defeat skier.

Often, these albums are bombarded with website tomatoes for reasons you can't necessarily hear through speakers: the band changes their sound and image to court a new crossover audience, perhaps, or attempts a mid-career shift into ill-advised territory. Or maybe they start writing songs about Moses in hip-hop slang. But sometimes the bad album in question is none of the above; it doesn't offend anyone's delicate scene-politics sensibilities or try to rewrite a once-successful formula in unfortunate ways. Sometimes an album is just awful. Make Believe is one of those albums.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
I have never felt so good about disagreeing with some Pitchfork snot 100%.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I met the guys in the band back in 2001 I think, whenever it was they reformed. Rivers is extremely shy and reserved. He seemed alright, but I really ended up probably feeling more uncomfortable than he did. Sometimes that happens with a musician. They clearly are thrust into this crazy place that they probably never expected.
check out the rolling stone cover story on Rivers ... that's actually just an excerpt, but it gives you the idea ... i had no idea how crazy he was and how fractured the band is ...
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  check out the rolling stone cover story on Rivers ... that's actually just an excerpt, but it gives you the idea ... i had no idea how crazy he was and how fractured the band is ...
The word on the street is that Rivers is getting back to the good life. And by that we mean all night cocaine rodeos and teenage asian girls!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 10:22:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  I have never felt so good about disagreeing with some Pitchfork snot 100%.
Rolling Stone and EW agreed with you

I guess the real issue with reviews is personal preference.  Sometimes I get frustrated by the fact that Rolling Stone and AllMusic have such historical perspectives.  As long as the album is well produced and decently written, they're very quick to give it 3 stars (out of 5).  There was an issue of RS a couple months ago that had a wide variety of indie releases reviewed and EVERY SINGLE ONE got either 3 stars or 3.5 stars.  It just gets frustrating sometimes.

That said, when I'm browsing through allmusic I'm glad they don't really place much personal preference in their star ratings.  If the album succeeds in doing what it attempts to do, they usually give it 4 stars, whether or not the music is crap or not.  And when you have such a broad perspective as AM or RS, that's probably a good thing.  I'm just glad there are places like pitchfork that provide an alternate (and very personal) perspective.
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
good points.  

truth is, though, I only read CD reviews when they are posted on this board.  And i hated writing them for "the Yawn"  I dont know what it is about them....

also, maybe the new Weezer album is much better live than in your living room.

(funny, I have never had a stereo in my living room, yet i always seem to say that.)

Bags

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
I listened to the Weezer album streaming online twice and I loved it.  Fuck Pitchfork.  They're too cool for me anyway.

Does Weezer have a DC date lined up already?  I thought they did, but I could be confusing them with someone else...

Thanks for the review sonick, I'm inspired to try to see them now.

eltee

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by bearman:
  I met the guys in the band back in 2001 I think, whenever it was they reformed. Rivers is extremely shy and reserved. He seemed alright, but I really ended up probably feeling more uncomfortable than he did. Sometimes that happens with a musician. They clearly are thrust into this crazy place that they probably never expected.
check out the rolling stone cover story on Rivers ... that's actually just an excerpt, but it gives you the idea ... i had no idea how crazy he was and how fractured the band is ... [/b]
? You didn't? silly boy. And this doesn't even cover the "dark year".
 I don't read any of those review sites. AllMusic for bios but even then I still go listen to streams/samples. No DC date. Philly probably sold out.

eltee

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
Oh, and if and when they do come to DC, I'd like to plug Kosmo for DJ if he wants the role.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by abulum:
  ? You didn't? silly boy. And this doesn't even cover the "dark year".

nope, i knew he was a little nutty, but i just hadn't kept up with his life / weezer's career over the last 8 or 9 years or so.
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 02:01:00 pm »
washingtonpost.com
 Feeling Single: The Wobbly Weezer

By Sean Daly
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Wednesday, May 11, 2005; C01

One of rock-and-roll's great social misfits, Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo is, among other things, a recluse, a masochist, a nerd, a narc and, on the band's 1996 album "Pinkerton," a bit of a perv. His latest oddball behavior involves strict celibacy and intense vipassana meditation, a regimen that makes a monk's life look like spring break in Daytona. No wonder his band mates reportedly treat the guy like a punch line.

At the same time, the singer-songwriter-guitarist is one of our great practitioners of power pop, a man responsible for such catchy slices of sun as "Buddy Holly," "Hash Pipe" and "Beverly Hills," the last of which kicks off the SoCal quartet's just-released fifth album, "Make Believe." Credit Cuomo and only Cuomo for the band's remarkable 11-year run: Weezer -- unlike, say, power-poppers Fountains of Wayne -- has stayed huge during surges from rap-metal goons, Brit-pop dandies and hip-hop thugs. The other guys in Weezer (drummer Pat Wilson, guitarist Brian Bell and bassist Scott Shriner) may mock their bespectacled leader, but they shouldn't get too nasty. For all his mania, Cuomo remains the rare sure-thing meal ticket.

Of course the problem with musical eccentrics is their unpredictability. The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson did some beautiful things on the road to Bonkersville. But Cuomo, as he's spiraled deeper and deeper into his own dark places, has become less and less interested in making cohesively great albums. The band's self-titled 1994 debut (aka "The Blue Album") was filled with hook-rich promises that Weezer would one day make a classic album. It never happened. Follow-up disc "Pinkerton" was captivating, yes, but mainly because Cuomo was more interested in writing about his fetish for young Asian women than writing hits. The two albums that followed were uneven at best, but a smattering of tunes on each were so darn good that 2001's self-titled disc (aka "The Green Album") and 2002's "Maladroit" sold well anyway.

The trend continues on the new "Make Believe," the band's first batch of brand-new stuff since "Maladroit." Super-producer Rick Rubin has been hired to work the sound board, but there's no mistaking who's really in charge here. Cuomo sprinkles the album with some wickedly fun stuff (heavier than "Pinkerton," not as heavy as "Maladroit"), but eventually loses steam, focus and interest -- as if he'd much rather be cross-legged in a cave pondering the meaning of life. "Make Believe" is further proof that if there is a great Weezer album lurking in the future, it will no doubt be a greatest-hits collection. The best we can hope for now is that Cuomo remains a fine singles artist and fills up our iPods.

As always, the radio-ready keepers on "Make Believe" deal with Cuomo's disastrous romantic track record. "What's the deal with my brain? Why am I so obviously insane?" he asks on the sublime "Perfect Situation," a guitar-washed mid-tempo lament about a weird wallflower ("I'm a hero . . . I'm a zero") who can't hold on to the girl. The sad chorus of "oh oh oh" contrasts nicely with the song's edgy framework. On the sock-hop throwback "Hold Me," Cuomo admits, "I am terrified of all things," first and foremost the gal who just dumped his sorry self.

Another telling lyric is found on the stomp-and-shout first single, "Beverly Hills," a shameless party cut with a big beat reminiscent of "We Will Rock You" and a guitar solo inspired by too many rotations of Peter Frampton's "Comes Alive." In waxing on about Zsa Zsa Gabor's stomping grounds, Cuomo speak-sings, "Look at all those movie stars, they're all so beautiful and clean." Clean? Oh, he must feel sooo dirty. It's a wonder he hasn't scrubbed off all his skin by now.

Cuomo is incapable of making a boring album, but listenable doesn't necessarily mean likable. "We Are All on Drugs" flat-out cooks -- and the "Give it to me!" bridge is one of those power-pop details that Weezer does best -- but listen more closely ("The best of your days will all vanish in the haze") and you realize it's a treacly "just say no" song, Cuomo's awkward penance for whatever bad things he once ingested. "I want to confiscate your drugs," he warns.

"The Other Way," "Peace" and "Freak Me Out" are blah, go-nowhere fillers -- not only can Cuomo write these tunes in his sleep, he probably did. "My Best Friend" has a perky beat but is mired by an earnest up-with-people sentiment, a Hallmarkian bit of joy joy joy that is just as creepy as anything on "Pinkerton." And then there's the album closer, "Haunt You Every Day." Awash in fuzz and guitars and depression, it sounds like the musings of a man who may be lost for good. "I am just insane / Walking on my own." Oh boy. Something tells me not even eight hours in the lotus position is going to solve that problem.

distance

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 02:05:00 pm »
i've never seen the big deal about weezer? what have they done that's been exceptionally good? or innovative? or interesting?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  i've never seen the big deal about weezer? what have they done that's been exceptionally good? or innovative? or interesting?
i think they largely appeal to generation Yers like myself who were in their young teens when The Blue Album was released

n the context of widely accessible commercial music, that album was like a breath of fresh air in a 'modern rock' world ruled by crappy grunge and post-grunge ... sure other people/bands had done and were doing similar things, but they didn't break through to the mainstream like weezer did, so they captured the attention of a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have heard that kind of fresh guitar pop ... they also appealed to nerdy kids who identified with rivers

so take that, and add all the emo kids who claim weezer as their ancestors, then add all the younger people who discovered them in their less-personal-lyrics, post-pinkerton era and you have a pretty sizeable/rabid fanbase
(o|o)