Author Topic: Holy Weezer!  (Read 6390 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Holy Weezer!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  i've never seen the big deal about weezer? what have they done that's been exceptionally good? or innovative? or interesting?
they're like the 70s band that never came out on  8-track.

Weezers songs are usually exceptionally written and the lyrics are usually quite interesting.

innovative....i wont get into that, but good and interesting?  sure.

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
   a pretty sizeable/rabid fanbase
which ALWAYS makes for such a fun live show!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  Weezers songs are usually exceptionally written and the lyrics are usually quite interesting.

i loved the lyrics on The Blue Album and Pinkerton ... maybe it was because i was 13 and 15 when they were released, but they were great, quirky, nerdy confessional albums that didn't stray into slop like today's emo

the lyrics on the last 2 albums were just kinda blah to me, they're much more universal and just didn't have the same quirks as the first two ... haven't heard the new one yet ...
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
But are they relevant??  Today?    :cool:

distance

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  i think they largely appeal to generation Yers like myself who were in their young teens when The Blue Album was released

n the context of widely accessible commercial music, that album was like a breath of fresh air in a 'modern rock' world ruled by crappy grunge and post-grunge ... sure other people/bands had done and were doing similar things, but they didn't break through to the mainstream like weezer did, so they captured the attention of a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have heard that kind of fresh guitar pop ... they also appealed to nerdy kids who identified with rivers

so take that, and add all the emo kids who claim weezer as their ancestors, then add all the younger people who discovered them in their less-personal-lyrics, post-pinkerton era and you have a pretty sizeable/rabid fanbase
well, i was in my teens when the first album came out.  i owned it at one point, i think?  it was ok.  a couple songs i heard off pinkerton were ok, but then they disappeared.

then they came back in 99/00? and all they sudden they are now emo? were they emo in 1994? am i missing something here?  everything i've heard since they came back has been utter crap and i'm not seeing what the current draw is really.  maybe i just don't 'get it'.  maybe i just don't want to.

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

But are they relevant??  Today?     :cool:  [/b]
ahhhh. you'll have to ask our resident "journalist" that question. I am sure he can dig up a well thought out answer from somewhere on the internet...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 03:03:00 pm »
 then they came back in 99/00? and all they sudden they are now emo? were they emo in 1994? am i missing something here?
eh, i don't think the band themselves (or rivers) was ever self-consciously "emo", but they were co-opted by emo kids who look to them like punk kids looked to the stooges or MC5 ... proto-emo?
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

But are they relevant??  Today?     :cool:  [/b]
=)

they were just on the front cover of rolling stone, their new album will sell tons and tons, they're definitely "relevant" in the pop-culture landscape

on the other hand, the hipsterati has long since dismissed them as "irrelevant"

guess it depends on what context you're looking at
(o|o)

distance

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »

i'll have to disagree with you here.
 but that's ok.

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
  i'll have to disagree with you here.

of course, else you would like them!

ggw

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Make Believe
 Geffen, 2005
 rating: 1.5/5
 reviewer: mr p

To extinguish that question burning in everybody's heads, allow me to piss on your fire: Make Believe is not Pinkerton. It's not a "return to form" or a throwback to the mid-'90s, nor is it even an attempt at such, as some rags claim. Despite the slight chance that Rivers's new meditation practices would revive his songwriting impotence, Make Believe is the nail in the coffin, the album that has ensured their irrelevancy. Rivers's illusory faith in the market as an arbiter of "good" taste has ultimately led him astray. To believe that the more popular the song, the better the song is also to believe that Britney Spears is popular because of her talents. For an industry that relies on extensive marketing and centralized power for its imperial dominance in the music world, Weezer has always appeared as that glimmer of hope that music didn't have to deconstruct itself to show its value, nor did the music have to even push limits or eschew good wholesome pop sensibilities for ham-fisted politics. It could simply be genuine, and it was precisely this faith in Weezer that kept us coming back. But Make Believe seems disingenuous. Even Brian Bell recently told Rolling Stone that he sometimes feels like just one part of Rivers's big experiment.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/w/weezer.htm

sonickteam2

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
its funny how when an album isnt quite what everyone expects it to be, it sucks.

i seem to remember Kid A getting horrible reviews all over, i mean, horrible.

now, the album is in Top Lists everywhere.

(no way am i comparing this to Make Believe, no WAY)

distance

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
   i seem to remember Kid A getting horrible reviews all over, i mean, horrible.

now, the album is in Top Lists everywhere.

it's too bad that kid a isn't even close to radiohead's best album.  i think people feel obligated to like it or something.  i'm not saying it's a bad album, but you can't even start to try to argue that it's a stronger album than ok computer.  hell, i'd say hail to the thief is a better album than kid a.  is kid a important in the evolution of radiohead? certainly, but that doesn't mean that one has to say it's one of radiohead's best or one of the best in general.

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
   but you can't even start to try to argue that it's a stronger album than ok computer.  
while i could argue that Kid A is better than OK Computer , I could also argue the other way around, so many great things about both of them, yet they are too different to compare.

I wont say what Radiohead album is the "best" but Hail To The Thief is my favourite.

back to Weezer

Mobius

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 11:09:00 pm »
To me, the Green Album is Weezer's finest moment.  Simple, repetitive, but they tapped into some great unfiltered jetstream like sound.   The repetition makes it flow which somehow gives it depth.  Love the opening Don't Let Go, and can't help listen to it all the way through.  Great driving music.   I don't know why they don't work exclusively with Ric Ocasek.  And yeah, I know I'm not a real a fan.