Author Topic: the Cult roll call  (Read 1852 times)

sonickteam2

the Cult roll call
« on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
haha.  come on, i never come to the 930 club, so i never get to be on the roll calls.   I suppose i wont see many forumites tonight?

Paul Styrene

Re: the Cult roll call
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »
Don't worry, my son.  You will not be alone.  Looks like it's gonna be an early evening.  No openers and the band is going on at 930.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
john tempesta is on drums for the cult now.  this has me very excited.  should be a great show.

twangirl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »
I saw 'em in Austin 3/12 and they were very good.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
So how was it?

rich_WDC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 10:00:00 pm »
Wow! so many great songs. What a setlist.

And possibly the most fun and confident and pleasant Ian has been in any DC appearance in past 15+ yrs that I've seen.

"Brother Wolf, Sister Moon" simply amazing (featuring standup electric bass, w/ bow)

FROM CULT SITE:
 L'il Devil
 Sweet Soul Sister
 Witch
 Electric Ocean  
 Rain
 Revolution
 Gone
 Rise
 War
 Brother Wolf/Sister Moon
 Wonderland
 Peace Dog
 Wildflower  
 Fire Woman
 Spiritwalker
 Phoenix
 ----
 Edie
 Sanctuary
 ----
 LRMachine

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »
ok, my LATE review.

first of all, this was my very very first 930 show that i decided to watch the entire show from the balcony.  we got there right at 8pm so we got against the railing on the right side.  so that was cool.

i prefer to watch from the floor, but the GF is 5'6" and i must admit, its nice to go pee and get a beer in 2 minutes and sneak right back to your spot!  

the show started off bad for me.  they butchered sweet soul sister, my favourite song..and i thought Witch and Rain were just very dry.  I was actually thinking of leaving.  they werent talking much or anything.....

then it all changed...my lady went to the bathroom to prepare for the ride home, and like they didnt want us to go, a blistering version of Wild Flower..followed by Fire Woman and the show was ready for a fabulous ending....so we stayed...and the end of the show was great, Ian and Billy warmed up and seemed to end up having a great time.  

a few observations.

1. the crowd seemed to be getting into it much more than i expected.

2. Ian called me out, by asking if anyone was at the club "last night for the Magic Numbers" my GF's favourite new band, that i neglected to tell her about the show even happening...busted!!!!

3. THEY'RE BRITISH!!!! hahaha, i never knew!

4. to thatguy:  those dudes you guys kicked out in the front...not really their fault....being right over them....there was an african-american girl (i'd like to be PC but well, she was and she was the only one down there) was throwing balled-fisted punches at any guy that touched her from the opening song on. if anyone should've been kicked out, it should've been her.  I know you couldnt see it, though.  but all in all , those 2 guys were jerks...but that girl was a first class nasty bitch!

good times all in all.  i'll be back for the Dredg/Ours show!

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
thanks for the info.  the guy i had pulled out wasn't removed, just relocated, and he was causing trouble all night.  there were about four guys surrounding him that were about to take matters into their own hands, so i had the instigator sent upstairs, away from the "pit."  i don't know about anyone else that was taken out.

gotta love it when the lead singer not only watches everything you do, but also knows your name and will talk to you during the show.  i'm sorry, but i'm not going to be nice to a dude that crowd surfs at a most inopportune time, and then proceeds to try to kiss my eyeball.  i don't think ian saw that part before telling me i wasn't being very nice.

i thought the show was great.  it took a couple of songs to get going, but it was the best i've seen from them in a long time.  the addition of tempesta on drums really added something for me.  i got the live recording, and have listened to it several times since the show.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  thanks for the info.  the guy i had pulled out wasn't removed, just relocated, and he was causing trouble all night.  there were about four guys surrounding him that were about to take matters into their own hands, so i had the instigator sent upstairs, away from the "pit."  i don't know about anyone else that was taken out.

gotta love it when the lead singer not only watches everything you do, but also knows your name and will talk to you during the show.  i'm sorry, but i'm not going to be nice to a dude that crowd surfs at a most inopportune time, and then proceeds to try to kiss my eyeball.  i don't think ian saw that part before telling me i wasn't being very nice.

that was funny when Ian was talking to you. Yeah, the guy who was crowd surfing was obviously trying to be a jerkoff.  I think i was more referring to the first guy that you sent a couple people into the crowd after, a few songs earlier.   funny watching it all from above....a tough job you have, sir! (but a damn cool one!)

TheREALHunter

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:

i thought the show was great.  it took a couple of songs to get going, but it was the best i've seen from them in a long time.  the addition of tempesta on drums really added something for me.  i got the live recording, and have listened to it several times since the show.
From my vantage point upstairs that guy in the crowd was being an asshole the whole night and you handled it better than I would have, I'm sure if Ian's 5'2" ass would've had to be next to that guy for more than 5 minutes he would've seen it differently as well.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mike Rohsopht:
  a blistering version of Wild Flower..followed by Fire Woman and the show was ready for a fabulous ending....
I would have LOVED this show.  Alas, outta town.  Though some here and in my family won't believe it, can't let the music fully control my life!  Glad it was worth the trip over from Charm City, Sonick......