Author Topic: FoW roll call  (Read 3663 times)

Bags

FoW roll call
« on: February 20, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
Sunday's show is SOLD OUT.  Doesn't mean that many board folks are going.  Not sure they're a pitchfork fave (ha ha, Rhett posting as Bags!).

I got a crew, wondering if others are hitting this show, which should be hot.

And do we know anything about the openers, Leona Naess and Robbers on High Street?

Re: FoW roll call
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:12:00 pm »
We love the latest album, but live we thought they sucked.

We're opting for the Mary Lou Lord/Gingersol show at Iota. MLL's new album got a nice writeup today in the weekend section of the Post. She's always good live, but the bonus this time is she'll have a full band (Gingersol) backing her, instead of her usual solo acoustic gig.

But don't tell anybody...I wouldn't want it to get packed or anything.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
mll is also at the mojo 2/24 early show at 7:30pm
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Sunday's show is SOLD OUT.  Doesn't mean that many board folks are going.  Not sure they're a pitchfork fave (ha ha, Rhett posting as Bags!).

I got a crew, wondering if others are hitting this show, which should be hot.

And do we know anything about the openers, Leona Naess and Robbers on High Street?
Leona Naess is ok, kinda hazy pop, at least her old stuff. I'm curious about the Robbers though, they just came out with a new album, and its supposed to be good. Let me know what you think about them.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 12:26:00 pm »
FoW played the 9:30 Club twice last year.  I'm a huge fan, but that summer show BLEW.  It was the first show of some kind of mini-tour.  No good at all.  I almost skipped out on the show last fall, but a friend convinced me to go, and it was fantastic.  It's like they took all the energy missing from the earlier show, and threw it on top this time.  Great energy, great arrangements, interesting crowd (spanning multiple generations).  So, I'm going again.

bungle bud

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 12:56:00 pm »
leona naess is brilliant, very mellow sort of like norah jones with a guitar and aload of great songs, ok nowt like norah jones.
 she has released three cds comatised,i tried to rock you but you only roll and her latest leona naess.
 the song charm attack has been used in various teen shows/movies.
 for me ballerina is the stand out track on her last cd, she is a really sweet person and in the past signs stuff after she has performed.
 it would be nice if people didnt talk during her performance cos on afew occassions she hasnt been able to play a song cos the talking drowned out her music.
 oh yeah shes very kind on the eye, and has the best arse in music.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
Thanks, bungle -- since my crew is me and six guys (not a one of 'em gay), the arse comment may entice them to get to the club early...

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
Leona Naess isn't nearly in the same league as Norah Jones, in my opinion.

But she has fucked Ryan Adams, so that counts for something.

Guiny

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 01:14:00 pm »
I dont know a damn thing about F o W but am going. We have a pretty big crew going so i got sucked into it. (please keep you sucking comments to yourself!!!!!!)

Taster

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
Leona is pals with Conner Oberst and Adam Duritz I think.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 03:22:00 pm »
Note to self: she's friends with Conor Oberst and Adam Duritz. Must buy all her albums immediately.

Originally posted by skins33:

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 03:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by skins33:
i wish i was pals with Conner Oberst and Adam Duritz. i like them.

Dandy01

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »
I just got this:

On Tap has a special weekend bonus for you: FREE TICKETS to see FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE at the 9:30 Club this Sunday night!

To enter to win, just shoot an email to winstuff@ontaponline.com with "Wayne" in the subject. Winners will be notified by 5 pm today via email.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 07:24:00 pm »
i have a feeling that this crowd will be very different than at past fow shows, due entirely to the popularity of "stacy's mom."  i predict a whole lot of new fans that only want to hear one song.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 07:25:00 pm »
thatguy, the crowd at the last show was weird!  Lots of parents with their kids.  One group sitting up in the balcony looked like a family reunion gathering, with aunts, uncles, grandparents, kids -- the whole shebang!