Author Topic: pearl jam amusement  (Read 4432 times)

walkonby

pearl jam amusement
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
when i first went on this morning to get tickets for the verizon show, there were absolutely no floor tickets available . . . i guess there was a super secret squirrel pre-sale for club members, or something and they all got snatched . . . because i know that "fists in the air" pearl jam would never allow their good seats to go to the big wig power (rats) that be.  but the real funny thing was that they (ticketmaster) were offering pearl jam's new cd for 17.00 with ticket purchase, if you chose that option; if you did, you got better ticket selections than if you chose not to buy the disc.  i would pull up seats in the 100's with the cd, and 400's/sometimes 200's (in the back of the center) without the cd option.  

fight the power

alex

Re: pearl jam amusement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
Did you seriously get better tickets if you chose to buy the cd?

That's fucking bullshit.

alex

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
maybe it's a coincidence, but just now i did a search...with the cd, i got decent 400 level seats, without it, i got seats behind the fucking stage.

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 11:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Alex:
  maybe it's a coincidence, but just now i did a search...with the cd, i got decent 400 level seats, without it, i got seats behind the fucking stage.
no coincidence.  it was like that since ten this morning.  ticketmaster always knows what it is doing.  why do you think it is as big of a company as it is?

fight jerry clower

tdcpinoy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »
I got 2 seats in 102 AA and I didn't buy the CD.

Game Show Host

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
Pearl Jam has a fan club of about 50,000 people (most on the East Coast) who get first crack at the good seats.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Alex:
This can't possibly be legal. Call BBB, FTC, yr congresspeople and whatever media you trust. I would seriously love to see TM raked over the coals for this.

Arlette

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »
You think they did that without the band or label's permission?   ha ha ha.  

There's no money to be made by Ticketmaster in selling the CD.  Most people don't believe it, but it's true.  CD's are loss leaders for most non-box physical outlets.  Even Amazon loses money selling CDs.  

Like Prince "including" his last CD with every ticket purchased, it's a way to increase CD sales for the label and band, especially for the all important first week SoundScan charts.

grotty

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
Quit bitching.

There's been multple discussions about varied ways to get tix to these shows. Check the SECRET Just Announced thread. Contains full details on how to get pre-sale tix.

Next do a search on ebay for Pearl Jam tickets for either Cleveland or Camden. There's very little good seats being re-sold. (If you can find any let me know - I'd like to buy them.)

Usually after a big concert on-sale, ebay would be flooded with great tickets going for big $$.

But do you know why that's not happening? Because most of the good seats have been allocated to actual fan club members.

The system works & yet people still complain.

If you want guaranteed good seats - buy an annual subscription to Merriweather, etc.

Otherwise plan ahead or take your chances with the masses. If you waited until today to get tickets you really didn't want them very much.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »
also at least PJ didn't sign on with Clear Channel to promote thier entire tour which would have resulted in a show at Nissan... I.M.P. got the DC show and brought it to the phone booth which is easier to get to via public transport, etc....

nothing against walkonby, who makes me laugh on regular basis, but it would take much more data to prove that ordering the cd resulted in better tickets given the fluidity of what tickets are available at any given moment.  during the ordering process computers crash, get disconnected, people decided they don't like the tickets, they don't buy them in the alloted time, resulting in them being returned to the pool.
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  also at least PJ didn't sign on with Clear Channel to promote thier entire tour which would have resulted in a show at Nissan... I.M.P. got the DC show and brought it to the phone booth which is easier to get to via public transport, etc....

nothing against walkonby, who makes me laugh on regular basis, but it would take much more data to prove that ordering the cd resulted in better tickets given the fluidity of what tickets are available at any given moment.  during the ordering process computers crash, get disconnected, people decided they don't like the tickets, they don't buy them in the alloted time, resulting in them being returned to the pool.
i only know what happened to me.  we (two people) were going after tickets at the same time on two computers side by side.  my friend didn't want the cd and i did.  we noticed that i was pulling up much better seats than he was . . . everytime . . . for the eleven minutes we searched.  i just thought it was amusing, and naturally assumed that ticketmaster was behind some massive scam.  don't know where i would ever gotten that idea.

i'm glad i make you laugh, kosmo.  fight the record store known as tower.

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
oh . . . and go on ebay.  there are at least seven sets of tickets being sold by ticket brokers for the dc show, some even really good floor seats.  and i wasn't bitching.

fight the cakes made with no flour.

grotty

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  oh . . . and go on ebay.  there are at least seven sets of tickets being sold by ticket brokers for the dc show, some even really good floor seats.  and i wasn't bitching.

There are only 56 items on ebay for this event (Pearl Jam tickets Washington DC) That's basically nothing. You get much more than that for a 9:30 Club show.

Section 4 Row N is NOT a good floor seat. It's back end of the second floor section back:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pearl-Jam-Tickets-Verizon-Center-Washington-DC-5-30_W0QQitemZ6614184833QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's NOT ONE pair of tickets on ebay for the front floor section or even the lower level sections close to the stage.

It's amazing really - all of the really good seats are in the right hands.

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 02:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

There are only 56 items on ebay for this event (Pearl Jam tickets Washington DC) That's basically nothing. You get much more than that for a 9:30 Club show.

Section 4 Row N is NOT a good floor seat. It's back end of the second floor section back:
  http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pearl-Jam-Tickets-Verizon-Center-Washington-DC-5-30_W0QQitemZ6614184833QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's NOT ONE pair of tickets on ebay for the front floor section or even the lower level sections close to the stage.

It's amazing really - all of the really good seats are in the right hands. [/b]
i hope so.  you are correct though, in that it's not a flood of tickets on ebay.  my favorite post was by some guy claiming to sell "great seats" on his description, then proceeds to say he'll announce the exact location of the seats at 10:15 this morning.  i hope his hands are right by the sight of dollars signs up high.  i just still can't believe it's not the mci center anymore and that george mason is still in it.

fight the drink that's sweet, not sour.

grotty

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
   my favorite post was by some guy claiming to sell "great seats" on his description, then proceeds to say he'll announce the exact location of the seats at 10:15 this morning.  i hope his hands are right by the sight of dollars signs up high.  i just still can't believe it's not the mci center anymore and that george mason is still in it.

fight the drink that's sweet, not sour.
I saw a bunch of those listings this morning also. I think some re-sellers pre-list to get the best listing position (1st page) & then back fill the info once they get seat data from their minions.

I think most floor seats are over-rated. Unless you are in the first 15 rows - you are often better off with lower level close to the stage.

Floor seats aren't elevated - nor are they inclined so you usually have to deal with a lot of obstruction.

Section 112-114 & 119-121 would be brutally good.