Author Topic: E of DM!  (Read 10988 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: E of DM!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by hutch:
 they really don't know how to run a business.. no credit cards in 2008?????
credit cards charge 2-3% to the business, not to the customer - so it's a convenience for us, but a cost and a paperwork hassle for the business.  depending on how well the business is doing, 2-3% less profit and hours spent on paperwork might be something they want or need to avoid.
<sig>

Arthwys

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
 Also lets face it, since the 930 moved in they just don't book much of interest...

Its the 930 club's minor league franchise.... some players make it up to the 930, some stay there forever, and some give up and get a real job
While that might be true for a great deal of bands that go through there, I beg to differ.  Just because it hasn't reached the popularity level to headline 9:30 club doesn't mean it isn't great music, or that the band haven't figured out how to put on a good show.  Plus there's the chance that you can catch bands in a small venue before they become really rather big.  I've seen The Libertines, Bloc Party and Kings of Leon there, and while the Libs may be gone now they did move up to 9:30 prior to disbanding, and Bloc Party and KOL headline DAR these days.
Emrys

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
And most of the better shows I've seen there were played downstairs by bands who probably will never (and most likely don't want to) headline at the 930.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  The staff have all been really cool to me. My only real beef is with the sound upstairs.
here's a timely example then for you!

last night i was walking on 14th.. some band named the aquabats was playing and there was a HUGE LINE..i mean the kind of line you see sometimes on saturday nights... all i wanted was to get a beer and hang out a bit in the red room.. kindly asked young girl working there by door if i had to do the line and that all i wanted was to go to the red room..

sure enough she said yeah.

thats helpful? thats retarded.. they have two doors for pete's sake.

i just hope they stay open as they are a good addition to the city and more imporatantly my neighborhood. they definitely play a role...and every few months they have a show i really want to see.. like gene ween band

i've been going there since 1994 so i definitely care about the place and i've seen some killer shows there and i know dante's heart is in the right place..but they just don't know what they are doing.. and that goes for everything about the place.. at the silver jews/monotonix show my friend orders some of that food from the whats it called food place and it took like 45 minutes.. he missed most of monotonix. [/b]
if youve been going there since 94, youd have known their policy and about how the lines work.

and you might also know the cafe has always been quite slow, but the food is damn good!

i saw plenty of great bands at the backstage and at the black cat. the sound isnt great but it was nice to see Ash, Bloc Party, Graham Coxon, VHS or Beta, etc. there. Because as of now, Im not seeing any of those bands at smaller clubs.

and plenty of places in NYC dont take credit cards. But most places have ATMs where you can get some cold hard cash.

And whoever is seeing Animal Collective in NYC (forgot who it was) - the manhattan ballroom is another one of those all cash places. it tells you when you walk in, as once you go up to the ballroom (5th or 7th floor) you cant go back to the main floor.
HeyLa

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Is that really 100% true?  Almost every time I go there my favorite bartender asks me if I want to open a tab.  I've always said no and never thought any more of it. shrug.

at the silver jews/monotonix show my friend orders some of that food from the whats it called food place and it took like 45 minutes.. he missed most of monotonix.
If you ever went to the original Food For Thought restaurant, you wouldn't be surprised by this.  :)

hutch

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Is that really 100% true?  Almost every time I go there my favorite bartender asks me if I want to open a tab.  I've always said no and never thought any more of it. shrug.

at the silver jews/monotonix show my friend orders some of that food from the whats it called food place and it took like 45 minutes.. he missed most of monotonix.
If you ever went to the original Food For Thought restaurant, you wouldn't be surprised by this.   :)  [/b]
I did go to Food for Thought and remember cockroaches in our booth but don't remember the extremely slow food service..

But whats the point??? Is anyone trying to argue that not taking credit cards, making people stand in line for 45 minutes to get a beer in the red room (when its probaly half empty anyways), taking 45 minutes to serve food at a music club.. is anyone seriously trying to argue this is good business?? Yes credit cards charge the black Cat a fee but they also lead people to spend far more money and are a convenience to people who dont' carry around that much cash and hate the ATM fees..

Anyways to each his own.. and to the person who wrote "if you'd been going since 94: BOLLOCKS MATE! I have been going since 94 but never had that particular situation..also I believe usually they have two people working the line..one for each door..

hutch

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »
anyways we know why most places that are cash only choose that route.. its to avoid taxes...

now back to your regularly scheduled Eagls of Death Metal programming

azaghal1981

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

The staff have all been really cool to me. My only real beef is with the sound upstairs.
here's a timely example then for you!

last night i was walking on 14th.. some band named the aquabats was playing and there was a HUGE LINE..i mean the kind of line you see sometimes on saturday nights... all i wanted was to get a beer and hang out a bit in the red room.. kindly asked young girl working there by door if i had to do the line and that all i wanted was to go to the red room..

sure enough she said yeah.

thats helpful? thats retarded.. they have two doors for pete's sake.

i just hope they stay open as they are a good addition to the city and more imporatantly my neighborhood. they definitely play a role...and every few months they have a show i really want to see.. like gene ween band

i've been going there since 1994 so i definitely care about the place and i've seen some killer shows there and i know dante's heart is in the right place..but they just don't know what they are doing.. and that goes for everything about the place.. at the silver jews/monotonix show my friend orders some of that food from the whats it called food place and it took like 45 minutes.. he missed most of monotonix. [/b]
if youve been going there since 94, youd have known their policy and about how the lines work.

and you might also know the cafe has always been quite slow, but the food is damn good!

i saw plenty of great bands at the backstage and at the black cat. the sound isnt great but it was nice to see Ash, Bloc Party, Graham Coxon, VHS or Beta, etc. there. Because as of now, Im not seeing any of those bands at smaller clubs.

and plenty of places in NYC dont take credit cards. But most places have ATMs where you can get some cold hard cash.

And whoever is seeing Animal Collective in NYC (forgot who it was) - the manhattan ballroom is another one of those all cash places. it tells you when you walk in, as once you go up to the ballroom (5th or 7th floor) you cant go back to the main floor. [/b]
Thanks for the tip.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
   And whoever is seeing Animal Collective in NYC (forgot who it was) - the manhattan ballroom is another one of those all cash places. it tells you when you walk in, as once you go up to the ballroom (5th or 7th floor) you cant go back to the main floor.
Thanks for the tip. [/b]
no problem. i dont know if hammerstein is the same way, but i found this out when i saw the last shadow puppets there. luckily for me, that was one of the few days i had plenty of cash on hand.

and the sound is great up there. the shadow puppets were playing with an orchestra and it was phenomenal sounding.
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 02:26:00 am »
So how was the show?
احمد

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 04:02:00 am »
fucking awesome

bummed i missed brian wilson, but ive seen him 4 times already
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 07:17:00 am »
Really really REALLY good show.

Loved the Duke Spirit, I'd definitely see them again in a heartbeat.

Setlist:

I Only Want You
 Don't Speak (Came to Make Bang!)
 Bad Dream Mama
 Heart On
 Now I'm a Fool
 So Easy
 Stuck in the Metal
 English Girl
 Secret Plans
 Already Died
 Wannabe in LA
 Move in the Night
 Anything 'cept the Truth
 Whorehoppin' (Shit Goddamn)
 Boys Bad News
 --
 Midnight Creeper
 Cheap Thrills
 Miss Alyssa
 Cherry Cola
 (song from Heart On I can't remember, 1st time played this tour)
 Speaking in Tongues
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:00 am »
It was AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! One of the best this year for sure.

ixkpd - you're probably thinking of Kiss the Devil from the first album. I was hoping they'd play it in the encore and they did and it's worth the $15 alone!
(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 10:22:00 am »
Don't forget "Brown Sugar."

andelman

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  It was AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! One of the best this year for sure.

I concur.  One of the better shows I have been to this year.  I am not sure if it was all part of the schtick,  but those dudes played their asses off and looked like they were having a great time on stage.  It was one of those shows where everything seemed to be clicking.