Author Topic: End of Year Lists  (Read 5291 times)

ratioci nation

End of Year Lists
« on: December 11, 2003, 05:12:00 pm »
As the press makes their lists I guess we can post them here -

Everybody's favorite music mag... Stuff

Best Rock/Pop Albums

Our Top 5

1 - Guided by Voices - Earthquake Glue  
 2 - My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves  
 3 - The Wrens - The Meadowlands  
 4 - Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow  
 5 - Radiohead - Hail to the Thief    

User Top 5

1 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell  
 2 - The Strokes - Room on Fire  
 3 - Superjoint Ritual - A Lethal Dose of American Hatred  
 4 - The Distillers - Coral Fang  
 5 - The Sick Lipstick - Sting Sting Sting

Re: End of Year Lists
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 12:12:00 pm »
I think my taste best matches the Amazon editors...three of their top 20 were in my top 10 (and I think four of their top 20 were in Celeste's top 10).

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
So you had two different lists?  :p

Bags

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 11:12:00 am »
pollard, thanks for posting all these...I haven't had a chance to look yet, but will print 'em out and take 'em on the plane on my way to Fla for the holidays.  I can read about all these CDs it will be hard to find in strip mall suburbia.

Celeste

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I think my taste best matches the Amazon editors...three of their top 20 were in my top 10 (and I think four of their top 20 were in Celeste's top 10).
I so wanted to dig the Thrills when I heard one of their songs, but I was too turned off by the hype and the sense I got that they were very contrived.

redsock

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Dare I say it, I agree with Rhett on this one. Amazon is a pretty comprehensive list...and they don't have Elephant as number one, which is nice to see.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
But instead they had Clay Aiken and Cher ahead of "Elephant" -- ??  I only looked at the top 40, so there could be some great stuff down the list, but in that top 40, I only have one album (and would only want the one I have...).

But, s'what makes the world go 'round, right?

Originally posted by redsock:
  Dare I say it, I agree with Rhett on this one. Amazon is a pretty comprehensive list...and they don't have Elephant as number one, which is nice to see.

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  But instead they had Clay Aiken and Cher ahead of "Elephant" -- ??  I only looked at the top 40, so there could be some great stuff down the list, but in that top 40, I only have one album (and would only want the one I have...).

I think they are referring to the editors list, not the customers list.  But I don't find the beginning of editors much better.  I really don't get why people like Outkast so much, I finally heard the whole of Hey Ya last night and it is pretty bad.  And elephant is #3 on the list.

redsock

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by Bagster:

I think they are referring to the editors list, not the customers list.  But I don't find the beginning of editors much better.  I really don't get why people like Outkast so much, I finally heard the whole of Hey Ya last night and it is pretty bad.  And elephant is #3 on the list. [/b]
I was referring to the editors list. While I'm not dancing to Hey Ya, I just felt the list was more diverse than most, not just collapsing to the status quo. Yeah, #3 is still not #1, which way too many lists have Elephant  listed as. Small victories.

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 01:02:00 pm »

Sonickteam2 -  http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=4065684

screw you  ;)

redsock

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Sonickteam2 -   http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=4065684  

screw you   ;)  [/b]
I thought that was hilarious

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 01:18:00 pm »
i dont think anyone CARES what you think, mr. redsock.

:)

Bags

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
Aaah, sorry -- I didn't notice there were two Amazon lists.  I was wondering.  The editor's list is good from a quick glance.  

I haven't heard Outkast, but I'm quite eager to.  I love Hey Ya -- I just think I'll hear it so much over the next few months that I'll hate it by Feb 2004.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »
Seems a lot of critics like the Thrills. I wonder why people don't like them on this board...they lack indie cred, or people just haven't heard of them yet?