Author Topic: Nic Harcourt: scourge?  (Read 1701 times)

bellenseb

Nic Harcourt: scourge?
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:37:00 am »
You know, I just realized how thoroughly Nic Harcourt has homogenized the once great KCRW/Morning Becomes Eclectic.

It seems that anything solemnly British and bland is fast-tracked by this "tastemaker" and then canonized by the rest. What's more, a surf around the web leaves me feeling pretty alone in this opinion. Tell me that's not so.

redsock

Re: Nic Harcourt: scourge?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  You know, I just realized how thoroughly Nic Harcourt has homogenized the once great KCRW/Morning Becomes Eclectic.

It seems that anything solemnly British and bland is fast-tracked by this "tastemaker" and then canonized by the rest. What's more, a surf around the web leaves me feeling pretty alone in this opinion. Tell me that's not so.
Examples?

kcjones119

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:28:00 am »
His interviewing really bothers me, especially when he isn't interested in the in-studio band, they get very cookie cutter.

bellenseb

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:30:00 am »
Check out this list of archived shows from when Chris Douridas was at the helm.

http://web.archive.org/web/19961222072645/www.liveconcerts.com/harddrive/kcrw/

I can't really imagine artists akin to Lullaby for the Working Class, Richard Buckner, Mark Eitzel, Pavement, the Radar Brothers, Guided by Voices, Tarnation or the Tindersticks getting on much these days. I remember Red House Painters and Lisa Germano playing on the program too. They don't fit into the smoove aural lifestyle Harcourt is big on - wouldn't want to jar anyone.

Now it's known for launching Norah Jones and feting the likes of Keane. Latte, anyone?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
  Latte, anyone?
Extra homogonized lite.

I stopped tuning in ages ago because it was so incredibly blah. Kept thinking that it was just bad timing. Guess not.

eltee

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »
Has James Blunt been on?

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
  Latte, anyone?
One pump vanilla soy for me, please.
27>34