Author Topic: Neil Halstead (Mojave 3 / Slowdive) - Jammin' Java *ROL  (Read 3535 times)

RustyOrgan

Neil Halstead (Mojave 3 / Slowdive) - Jammin' Java *ROL
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
Monday November 17  indie/folk  $12 - 8pm show
 Neil Halstead (of Mojave 3 + Slowdive) + Gregory and the Hawk
 Neil Halstead was a member of cult shoegaze band Slowdive before forming Mojave 3 in 1996. His first solo record "Sleeping On Roads" was released on 4AD records in 2002 and his most recent album "Oh! Mighty Engine" was released this past summer on Jack Johnson's Brushfire Records. Timeout has called Neil "One of Britain's Greatest Songwriters" and NME has called him "Britain's Best Kept Secret" - so don't tell anyone.
 http://www.prestocart.com/cgi-bin/order.pl?ref=jamminjava&fm=1

BookerT

Re: Neil Halstead (Mojave 3 / Slowdive) - Jammin' Java *ROL
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
if it was at iota, maybe. but i just don't feel like trekking out to vienna tonight. i feel like i saw mojave 3 at the club once or twice a long time ago.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
My wife once saw him at Iota. Her response when I asked her about the show? "Yawn."

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
Would love to go but due to it being a Monday night and involving a 4 hour commute, it's not happening. That's my show conflict.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »
I'll wait for Slowdive to reunite.
احمد

bellenseb

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »
I can't believe Mr. Slowdive is now on Jack Johnson's label. Yikes.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »
Ouch; is he?

Guess I'll be waiting a while.
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  I can't believe Mr. Slowdive is now on Jack Johnson's label. Yikes.
Tell me about it! I swear he got hit on the head with a surfboard. Ugh!

Honestly though, I'm not really all that shocked. Neil has left the gaze behind and cares more about the songs and lyrics themselves, not the effects. Oh, and seems I read or heard somewhere that Jack is also into surfing and I bet the two of them are now a couple of musical surfing beachbums together. (sigh)

If you want to continue with any of the Slowdive offshoot gazers, might I suggest Christian Savill's band, Monster Movie or Simon Scott's band, Televise. Also, Rachel Goswell's solo work is pretty good in a British Traditional Folk music kind of way.

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
I think I heard a bit of Monster Movie somewhere a while ago and liked it.
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I think I heard a bit of Monster Movie somewhere a while ago and liked it.
Yeah, they are pretty good but, honestly, no Slowdive. Basically, with Monster Movie, it comes down to specific songs.

Currently, there is some Monster Movie, Televise, Rachel Goswell, Slowdive and Mojave 3 in rotation on Air Atlantic Underground Radio. Always some kind of Slowdive or its relations regardless of how much I change up the music. (May be removing the Mojave 3 soon to make room for some newer uploads since it's been up there for a good while now.)

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »
That's probably where I heard it, actually.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »
i'm gonna see neil halstead tomorrow in philly at world cafe. i've seen him solo twice, but that was in 2001/2002. i absolutely loved sleeping on roads, and it ended up being one of my favorite records of 2002. i hate wimpy singer-songwriter stuff, but i don't think his solo material falls under that category. it's more in the neil young/townes van zandt/bert jansch/nick drake vein.

however, i have not heard his recent meterial, and the record being on jack johnson's label terrifies me. i abhor jack jackson's music. still, i'm not paying for the show, so if it sucks, i'll just leave. i doubt it will be that bad, though.

Jaguar

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  i'm gonna see neil halstead tomorrow in philly at world cafe. i've seen him solo twice, but that was in 2001/2002. i absolutely loved sleeping on roads, and it ended up being one of my favorite records of 2002. i hate wimpy singer-songwriter stuff, but i don't think his solo material falls under that category. it's more in the neil young/townes van zandt/bert jansch/nick drake vein.

however, i have not heard his recent meterial, and the record being on jack johnson's label terrifies me. i abhor jack jackson's music. still, i'm not paying for the show, so if it sucks, i'll just leave. i doubt it will be that bad, though.
Yes, I agree with your description of his solo work. Same can be said of Mojave 3. He's actually a very good songwriter whether or not you like his music. Very good sensibility in his lyrics, along with a great sense of humor, and knows how to put them to pleasant music.

So far I've only heard a couple of the new songs and only heard them once or twice. Hard to tell but from that little bit, I'd say they are a step down from Mojave 3 yet still pretty good, if you like that sort of style. Maybe I'd change my opinion either way after a few more listens. Weirdly, I can see how and he Jack bonded but it's more like two people with lots of common tastes and interests but only one of them has any clue of how to make any decent music. LOL. Just my opinion though.

snailhook

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
i'm sure they've shared a few spliffs!

Jaguar

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »
Oh, yes! On the beach after a few good surfs...at sunset....sunrise....moonrise....