Author Topic: Napster UK  (Read 1603 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Napster UK
« on: May 05, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
Many will say how could I a DRM hater think Napster is a good service.  Well I'm all for the "renting" of CDs, it's not that different than using Neflix really.  Anyway the whole time during my trial I was thinking how cool would it be if there was a UK version of Napster.  Seeing as I'm a cheap bastard and have a hard time paying double the price due the exchange rate, for a CD that might be released stateside.  

Should have paid better attention in class, because there is a Napster UK, and it does indeed have a couple of the CDs I'd like to "rent". So the question is has anyone heard of people using Napster UK in the US?  I'm guessin' access would be granted based on Credit Card address info.  Just curious....
T.Rex

vansmack

Re: Napster UK
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
I have been unable to download the UK version of the software through my US IP.  I'm trying to get someone to send me the UK download to install it in the States.  I'll let you know if I succeed.

In the meantime, has anybody used allofmp3.com?  I apologize if this has been discussed here, I've been away for a while.

As I hear it, it's a Russian site that charges $.02 per MB of each file you download and allows you to choose the settings of the files you download.  For example, a 3 minute song at 128K MP3 would cost you $.08 (assuming approx. 3.12 MB), but $.12 if you wanted a 192k version of the song.  It has a very large collection, including US and UK charts.  Every album I've purchased in 2005 is there.

My only concern is that it's in Russia, where credit card fraud is rampant.  As soon as they enable paypal, however, I'll try it.

Here's their disclaimer:

All the materials in the MediaServices projects are available for distribution through Internet according to license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use and must not be used for further distribution, resale or broadcasting.

Users are responsible for any usage and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility depends on the local legislation of each user's country of residence. AllOFMP3.com's Administration does not keep up with the laws of different countries and is not responsible the actions of non-Russian users.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
interesting about the sw download... i'll give a whirl tonight

haven't used allofmp3 but in past people swore by it... haven't really kept up with what people think of it. i never felt the need to use it being totally happy with emusic.  which by the way has added Vice Records (Bloc Party, The Streets, etc) and Bloodshot records to thier ever growing roster.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

In the meantime, has anybody used allofmp3.com?  I apologize if this has been discussed here, I've been away for a while.

As I hear it, it's a Russian site that charges $.02 per MB of each file you download and allows you to choose the settings of the files you download.  For example, a 3 minute song at 128K MP3 would cost you $.08 (assuming approx. 3.12 MB), but $.12 if you wanted a 192k version of the song.  It has a very large collection, including US and UK charts.  Every album I've purchased in 2005 is there.

My only concern is that it's in Russia, where credit card fraud is rampant.  As soon as they enable paypal, however, I'll try it.

I used to use allofmp3.com a lot. I used my credit card to deposit money and never had a problem. In fact, the only difficulty i ran into is that, twice, Citibank put a hold on all online purchases on my card because of the Russian charges.  It affected me getting tickets to a show one time.  Other than that, no problems with fraud.

I havent used it in a while, but i think its damn neat, and they even have a download manager you can use.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   emusic.  
what subscription plan do you have? i used to belong to it, but now i think its too pricey. do you do the all you can download plan?  (do they have one?)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 08:38:00 am »
I'm on the 90 songs for 20 bucks plan.  Although they currently have a 20% off offer if you cough up for the entire year in advance.  Works out to about 18 cents a download.  They also have a free daily track download feature for preview purposes.  

And those crafty bastards at Napster have us figured out at the moment.  Am in the process of a little dodgy activity to get the software for evaluation purposes only.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
Just keep driving the price down....

May 11, 2005
 Yahoo Taking On Rivals With Online Music Service
 By REUTERS

Yahoo said yesterday that it was starting an online music subscription service, competing against providers like Rhapsody from RealNetworks and Napster with lower pricing.

Yahoo said it was offering the service with an introductory price of $4.99 a month for an annual subscription, or $6.99 if bought monthly.

The service, available May 11, lets users play tunes from a catalog of more than one million songs, transfer tracks to portable devices and share music with friends through Yahoo Messenger.

Competitors like Napster and Rhapsody provide subscribers unlimited streams on demand and other features for about $9.99 a month. Both have also added portability functions, charging customers about $15 a month for subscriptions including that new feature.

P. J. McNealy, an analyst with American Technology Research, said: "Yahoo's clearly putting big pricing pressure on folks like Real and Napster. Neither have the advertising leverage that Yahoo has, so this has the potential to be highly disruptive to any digital music subscription service, particularly Napster since its a pure-play digital music company."

The shares of RealNetworks and Napster fell in after-hours trading. RealNetworks' stock fell to $6.50 after closing at $7.30. Napster shares fell after hours to $5.35; they closed at $6.35 in regular trading.

Napster could not be reached for comment.

RealNetworks started a free version of its service last month, offering 25 songs streamed on demand, Internet radio and other features in the hope of luring consumers to its other fee-based services.

A spokesman for RealNetworks said: "We just started giving away music for free on Rhapsody and there's more movement to give consumers affordable access to music. Yahoo's jumping into the subscription market is a complete validation for RealNetworks."

By linking the service to its instant messaging application, analysts said Yahoo was aiming to make legal music-sharing a focus of its offerings.

Yahoo's service also enables fans to buy downloads, listen to commercial-free Internet radio stations and have access to their subscription service from any Internet-connected computer.

The subscription service is the latest push by Yahoo, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., to bolster its music properties under its rebranded music division in hopes of capitalizing on the growing market for online music now led by Apple Computer with its à la carte music purchasing service and its popular iPods.

Last September, Yahoo bought Musicmatch, which offers the popular Musicmatch Jukebox, for $160 million.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:45:00 pm »
and maybe proding Jobs into trying something similiar with ITMS, can't believe he's passing up this revenue stream.  then again my next pc will likely be a windoze machine... and renting music is good for the soul  :)
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »
Not featured in the article: 79 cents a track
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
NY Times

May 12, 2005
 Can Yahoo's New Music Service Earn a Profit?
 By LAURIE J. FLYNN
 SAN FRANCISCO

THE announcement by Yahoo on Tuesday that it is starting a discount online subscription music service sent competitors in the business reeling.

Shares of RealNetworks plunged 21 percent yesterday to close at $5.76, while Napster fell nearly 27 percent to close at $4.65. Apple Computer, whose iTunes music service has a 70 percent share of the online music market, declined 2 percent, closing at $35.61.

Yahoo's Music Unlimited service, which became available yesterday, allows subscribers to retrieve songs from its catalog of more than a million tracks and listen to them on portable music players or on personal computers. The songs become unplayable if a user's subscription expires.

A user who wants to copy a song onto a CD and own it will have to pay an additional fee per song.

The service will charge users $6.99 if bought monthly. If a user pays for a yearly subscription, the cost will be $4.99 a month, or about $60 a year, which is about a third the cost of similar services from Napster and RealNetworks. Both of those companies charge $14.95 a month, or almost $180 annually for features similar to the Yahoo plan.

Apple does not offer a subscription service, but sells downloadable songs for 99 cents each. Though its business model is different, Apple competes in the same online market and could see some of its market share eroded by Yahoo's arrival.

"I wasn't surprised that Yahoo entered the market, but I was shocked at their price," said Eugene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray. "They know they have to play catch-up. So they're going to grind away at Napster and Real."

Mr. Munster said he had expected Yahoo to price its service around $12 a month, a level more likely to allow it to break even.

The online services, according to industry analysts, typically pay the record labels about 65 percent of the subscription revenues. At about $60 a year, Mr. Munster said, Yahoo's music service will not be profitable on subscription sales alone.

But Yahoo, with a market value of about $48 billion and revenue of $821 million in the last quarter, has the resources to lose money while it squeezes its smaller competitors.

Yahoo's announcement has some analysts speculating that it will ignite a price war in online music. Michael McGuire, an analyst at GartnerG2, said he did not think Napster or RealNetworks - two much smaller companies - could afford to cut their own prices anytime soon.

"That would be very painful," Mr. McGuire said. "They're both trying to be profitable."

Besides attracting subscribers with its low price, Yahoo can now sell music to fans who already visit its existing online music sites, which let visitors play music videos, chat with other fans and look up information about CD's and artists.

"What does Yahoo bring to this? A lot of traffic," Mr. McGuire said.

Yahoo's music sites, including its streaming radio service, get about 25 million visitors a month. As one of the most popular sites on the Internet, Yahoo gets a total of 370 million visitors monthly.

Shares of Yahoo rose 82 cents yesterday, to close at $34.88.

In its announcement, Yahoo, which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., referred to its price of $4.99 a month for the yearly subscription as "introductory." Company executives declined to say what Yahoo's long-term strategy will be.

"I can say we are building a service that creates value for subscribers, for record labels, and for Yahoo," said Dave Goldberg, general manager of Yahoo's music division. Mr. Goldberg said the subscription service site would not display additional advertising.

RealNetworks said it had no intention of lowering its prices, and said it was certain that Yahoo would be forced to raise its price shortly. "Yahoo is using an unsustainable price gimmick to enter the market," said Michael Shutzler, senior vice president for marketing and media businesses at RealNetworks.

"It's not like they're getting a special deal" from the music labels, he said.

Chris Gorog, Napster's chairman and chief executive, said he did not think that a low-priced model could last long. "Based on our discussions with record labels, it is clear that very aggressive introductory pricing for portable subscriptions will be at negative gross margins and we believe that consumers should expect rapid price increases," Mr. Gorog said in a statement.

As it is, selling online music is a difficult way to make money.

Apple Computer, which has sold more than 400 million songs from its iTunes music store, makes only a small profit from those sales.

Apple executives have said that the iTunes store exists in part to help sell iPods. Steven P. Jobs, Apple's chief executive, has said Apple has no plans to offer a subscription service.

RealNetworks said it had more than a million subscribers to its music service.

Napster, which gained notoriety in the 1990's as the first music file-sharing service, had 410,000 subscribers at the end of March.

Yesterday, Napster reported a net loss of $24.3 million, or 60 cents a share, for the fourth quarter, compared with a net loss of 20 cents a share, or $6.57 million, a year ago. Revenue for the quarter grew to $17.4 million, from $6.1 million a year ago, as a result of a growth in new subscribers.
27>34