Author Topic: I never thought this day would come.  (Read 6977 times)

Re: I never thought this day would come.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 08:33:00 am »
Aren't there any alternative music lovers left out there? Certainly not on this board.

When I was a young one, you listened to Sonic Youth or Squirrel Bait or Camper or Black Flag or maybe you listened to the British stuff like the Smiths or the Housemartins or New Order or Billy Bragg.

You laughed at Guns N Roses. I mean, what the fuck. C'mon people. Guns N Roses, that's fucking boring mainstream bullshit brought to you by corporate cockrock mainstreet America. Music for tools. T-shirt coming to a mall foodcourt near you. Sponsored by Dr. Pepper, Sarah Palin's drink of choice.

Arthwys

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Aren't there any alternative music lovers left out there? Certainly not on this board.

When I was a young one, you listened to Sonic Youth or Squirrel Bait or Camper or Black Flag or maybe you listened to the British stuff like the Smiths or the Housemartins or New Order or Billy Bragg.

You laughed at Guns N Roses. I mean, what the fuck. C'mon people. Guns N Roses, that's fucking boring mainstream bullshit brought to you by corporate cockrock mainstreet America. Music for tools. T-shirt coming to a mall foodcourt near you. Sponsored by Dr. Pepper, Sarah Palin's drink of choice.
I have to disagree.  GNR was a gritty, bluesy, more balls to the wall shot in the arm that the mainstream "hair-metal" desperately needed in the late 80's.  Watered down pop-metal like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, or even worse, Danger Danger and their like were dominating the airwaves.  Appetite for Destruction was certainly not corporate rock.  It actually took close to a year after its release before it made any big impact.  Granted, by the time of Use Your Illusion, they were an over-bloated circus, but could still churn out some damn good rock tunes that walked the line between pop-metal and blues rock.
Emrys

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »
Remind me, what label did it come out on?

Originally posted by Arthwys:

I have to disagree.  GNR was a gritty, bluesy, more balls to the wall shot in the arm that the mainstream "hair-metal" desperately needed in the late 80's.  Watered down pop-metal like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, or even worse, Danger Danger and their like were dominating the airwaves.  Appetite for Destruction was certainly not corporate rock.  It actually took close to a year after its release before it made any big impact.  Granted, by the time of Use Your Illusion, they were an over-bloated circus, but could still churn out some damn good rock tunes that walked the line between pop-metal and blues rock. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »
i happened to think that g'n'r record pretty muched rawked and i was listening to plently of "alternative" music at the time...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »
no no no, the opinions of an alternative music lover have nothing to do with the actual music... they're solely based on what label the album comes out on and what the band's public image is.  get with the program.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
Charlie you are just old! I was just 10 when Appetite for Destruction came out and it was the coolest thing since Wayne Gretzky, and by the time the Use Your Illusion tour was over, i wasnt even old enough to drive. I believe many other people on this board are about my age.

I can agree that if that album came out when i was 20 (arent you like 40?) I would have never listened to it. ever.

so there you go.   :)

GNR was my first show ever in 1988 (opening for Aerosmith) and probably the album i have the most memories tied to in life. That said, i would never even attempt to see them lve again, it would be too depressing.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »
Indeed, Appetite came out in 1987, when I was 20. With my head deep into college radio fare, there's no way I was going to listen to Gun N Roses. It sounded like slick, overproduced dreck then, and still does now.

I won't tell you what I listened to when I was 10. Actually, I probably wasn't even allowed to listen to rock music when I was 10.

Originally posted by very sonick:
  Charlie you are just old! I was just 10 when Appetite for Destruction came out and it was the coolest thing since Wayne Gretzky, and by the time the Use Your Illusion tour was over, i wasnt even old enough to drive. I believe many other people on this board are about my age.

I can agree that if that album came out when i was 20 (arent you like 40?) I would have never listened to it. ever.

so there you go.    :)  

GNR was my first show ever in 1988 (opening for Aerosmith) and probably the album i have the most memories tied to in life. That said, i would never even attempt to see them lve again, it would be too depressing.

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
  Indeed, Appetite came out in 1987, when I was 20. With my head deep into college radio fare, there's no way I was going to listen to Gun N Roses. It sounded like slick, overproduced dreck then, and still does now.

I won't tell you what I listened to when I was 10. Actually, I probably wasn't even allowed to listen to rock music when I was 10.

sorry, didnt mean to call you old  ;)   but yeah, i didnt know anyone when i was 10 who was listening to Sonic Youth and the Smiths.  Just as i didnt knwo anyone, when i was 20, listening to Limp Bizkit and Korn.  but i'm sure it was happening.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »
But I am old. The truth is the truth.

I had a college buddy who was listening to the Sex Pistols when he was 10, but he was definitely the exception to the rule in my redneck geographical region.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
Rhett, nice Squirrel Bait shoutout.  Loved that band.  That one song Hammering so Hard was just  greatâ?¦.

I was 16 when Appetite came out, didnâ??t care for it then or now.  When I was 16 If it wasnâ??t punk rock I just didnâ??t careâ?¦

Had a lot of stoner/metal friends and they seemed to like it.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »
I was just talking with a friend about how when we were teenagers, we missed out on a lot of cool stuff, simply because we thought ourselves too punk rock and therefore above tolerating anything we deemed "mainstream."  I regret that narrow-mindedness and am glad we grew out of that.

On the other hand, these days I'm anything but cool, even in my own mind, and I can't imagine listening to the new GNR.   But I still think "Appetite" is something special that still standa apart even today.
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 08:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Global Financial Doom:
  I was just talking with a friend about how when we were teenagers, we missed out on a lot of cool stuff, simply because we thought ourselves too punk rock and therefore above tolerating anything we deemed "mainstream."  I regret that narrow-mindedness and am glad we grew out of that.

sellout.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 08:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Global Financial Doom:

On the other hand, these days I'm anything but cool, even in my own mind, and I can't imagine listening to the new GNR.   But I still think "Appetite" is something special that still standa apart even today.
I can definately agree with you here, i missed out on a lot of great 80's music the first time around cuz i was so stuck in my punk rock ways.  Bands like the Smiths, Cure, stuff like that.  Too many to even think of now.

But GnR, just don't do it for me.  Then or now.

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 09:16:00 am »
but you both would have missed some great punk music if you had been dancing around to Wham! all decade, dont forget that!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »
Sonick, good point... but somewhere there's a happy medium!
_\|/_