Author Topic: Lady Sovereign  (Read 1655 times)

jbcapati

Lady Sovereign
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
So were others that went to this show as underwhelmed as I was?  I could deal with the poor sound (droning bass overwhelmed the whole sound mix), and the SOVeeeeee's antics (like spraying the crowd with beer and kicking the guy in the banana costume).  But it all boils down to the quality of the tunes, which I'm afraid is lacking.  "Ch-ching" and "Random" are fun, but most of the rest of the set was pretty terrible.  I thought her getting picked up by Def Jam would help in this department, but as it sounds now, she'll just go down as one of those short-lived novelty acts.

thingsfallapart

Re: Lady Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Glad I didn't go in that case.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »
i cant see really how you expected any different.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by dcwizard:
  I could deal with the poor sound (droning bass overwhelmed the whole sound mix)
have you seen any grime acts or DJs before?  overwhelming bass is definitely the common demoninator ... i've never felt the 930 club shake like it did with DJ Wonder's opening set for Dizzee a while back
(o|o)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:25:00 pm »
But Dizzee's show = Fuckin' A.
Woof.

jbcapati

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
I guess after catching a few of her tunes at Coachella earlier this year, that the new material would be at least just as good.  

Oh well, you're right, maybe I should have expected the heavy droning bass.  It didn't sounds like that in the desert, but it was probably less pronounced in that tent.

leafblower

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
She definitely appeals to the TRL crowd. But still, a fun show.

Some photos here:
 http://flickr.com/photos/leafblower/tags/ladysov/

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:50:00 am »
I just found it funny when she would do that secretary thing with her glasses, hanging them off her ears but with the lenses under her chin.

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »