Author Topic: NY Hotels  (Read 3230 times)

bearman🐻

NY Hotels
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »
Anyone been here before?

http://www.marrakechhotelnyc.com/index.asp

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Nietzsche

Re: NY Hotels
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
Tripadvisor.com is a good resource for hotel reviews. Here is the Marrakech:
 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d113343-Reviews-Marrakech_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:00:00 am »
Chelsea Star Hotel

I've stayed there twice and didn't have any problems. Very close to 34th Street, Penn Station, Madison Sq. Garden, etc.

bikerchickdc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »
Not sure of your price range but I like the Hotel Metro, it's 35th and 5th if I remember correctly. http://hotelmetronyc.com

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:25:00 pm »
Chelsea Star is a good deal.   it's inexpensive, especially by New York standards.  They've slapped a thin veneer of hipness over what was doubtlessly a past steeped with lonely SRO tenants heating beans, still in the can, on hot plates -- but it's clean and friendly and right near a gazillion Subway and bus lines.
_\|/_

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:20:00 am »
What a visual, Doom.  ;)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »
i used to stay at the Amsterdam Inn on the UWS or the Union Square Inn, right next to the Beauty Bar. Its a boutique hotel, and not all rooms have private bathrooms. But the price is reasonable and the hotels are in great locations. I had better luck with the Amsterdam Inn as the rooms were cleaner/nicer and bigger.
  NY Inns

Oh and for really cheap, if you really only are just using the hotel as a place to sleep, check out the Comfort Inn LIC. Get the AAA rates, and I think the room is all of $70. Its right near the subway 7/N. LIC is not the best neighborhood, but it is changing. The hotel is in a fine area. Metlife is around the corner if it makes you feel better. And its all of 5 mins from Grand Central.
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »
HeyLa

lily1

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:58:00 am »
stay in jersey.

seriously.

there is a marriott, i think its a marriott, right literally outside the path station in jersey city. 3 star hotel, big rooms, and one side directly looks out over the harbor and the nyc skyline. you're in the city in no time at all, and it was 1/3 less than a comparable nyc room, with way more space and a nicer hotel.

though if you want to splurge, you can't go wrong with a kimpton property. www.kimptonhotels.com.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 11:59:00 am »
I actually found a really reasonable (and nice) place at 28th and Lexington, so I think that's going to be the one. Plus train from DC is really reasonable, the cheapest I've paid to go to NYC in years. I'm surprised actually, it's not going to break the bank...I have a friend who lives up there, but he'll be out of the country and I don't feel comfortable staying there with him out of town. But in the grand scheme of things it works out pretty well and it's a good location, half a block from a subway. I'm hoping that some kind of New Year's Eve show gets announced, that would be fun. So far there's nothing though.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
If you like Patti Smith, she's playing the Bowery, Dec 29, 30 and 31st.

Originally posted by bearman:
   I'm hoping that some kind of New Year's Eve show gets announced, that would be fun. So far there's nothing though.
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »
Wow...that would be pretty cool! Excellent...thank you for giving me a heads up.

bikerchickdc

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »
Check usair.com for DC to NY specials. Usually they're not available on Saturdays but I've got nothing against flying up on a Friday afternoon.  Last 2 or 3 times I have gone to NYC I've flown from National to LaGuardia for $50 each way.  The train is a LOT more expensive than that!  Not available every day but definitely worth checking.

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
Actually for the days I need to go, train was way cheaper (by about $60)...plus for me it's tough to the beat the convenience of the train. But I have flown up there before. Assuming there are no delays, it can be kind of fun, and it's a very quick flight.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »
Bearman, are you talking about Amtrak? Or is there another train from DC to NYC?

Originally posted by bearman:
  Actually for the days I need to go, train was way cheaper (by about $60)...plus for me it's tough to the beat the convenience of the train. But I have flown up there before. Assuming there are no delays, it can be kind of fun, and it's a very quick flight.
(_|_)