Author Topic: Gallaudet and the protests  (Read 7031 times)

edbert

Re: Gallaudet and the protests
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »
This wierdness is very specific to Gallaudet; something to do with the students getting off on asserting themselves. In my college experiences I never knew anyone who cared much who the pres was. From the protests you'd think the candidate was a murderer! But instead there was no consistent and coherent explanation for why they didn't want her, as the Post was correct to report. Every kid I saw interviewed on TV news gave a different reason for why she was unacceptable.
 Hey Gallaudet kids: ever read about 'global warming' or 'the war in Iraq'?

missnatasha

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »
Sir HC, when the media's been interviewing people generally an interpreter is standing out of shot of the camera, not taped over. But I know what you mean :-)

As for a party, I wouldn't be surprised. We've done stuff all over the city lol
xMissNatashax

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by CookieMonster:
  University campuses are going to become chaotic.
Like Kent State in the late 60's early 70's chaotic?

At least somebody cares in this country.
27>34

missnatasha

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
Mixed Veg --- You won't get only one common answer for why the protest occurred. You'll get several, because the issue is not cut and dry. There are several reasons for why JK is not fit to have led Gallaudet. The people being interviewed are going to express the ones that they feel the most strongly about.

And actually a lot of Universities have protested the appointment of presidents. I believe it was AU that protested against a priest being appointed president.

And yes, I have heard of the Iraqi war and global warming, thanks for your concern :-)
xMissNatashax

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »
My question is if you're Deaf, what are you doing on a music club's messageboard in the first place?

missnatasha

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »
Again, it's not just students who were protesting. It was Gallaudet University Faculty, staff, alumnae. This protest was also supported by GMU, UMD, GT and other Universities in the area, believing in what we were doing.

The faculty voted no-confidence in JK twice, and twice demaned her resignation.

You can't lead if there is no one following.
xMissNatashax

missnatasha

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
You don't have to be hearing to enjoy music. Vibrations are a wonderful thing. Also I am Hard of Hearing, so I can still hear and understand music for the most part.

I'm going to the AFI show tomorrow and was trying to find dress-code info, when I found this post.
xMissNatashax

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by missnatasha:
  Vibrations are a wonderful thing.
I'm not sure truer words have ever been said on this forum.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »
  He is also African-American.

Is that a qualification?

missnatasha

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

He is also African-American.

Is that a qualification? [/b]
Not a qualification but adds to the argument the intial search process and selection was flawed and discriminatory--as many people here believe.

The argument basically is "why is a white man with a masters a more qualified candidate than a black man with a ph.d??"
xMissNatashax

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »
 And yes, I have heard of the Iraqi war and global warming, thanks for your concern :-)
Have you heard that 'Gorbal warming' is merely a fanciful theory...like the theory that UFOs are time machines?

missnatasha

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:

Have you heard that 'Gorbal warming' is merely a fanciful theory...like the theory that UFOs are time machines? [/b]
That must explain why its hotter than hell outside and last week it was freezing cold.
xMissNatashax

thirsty moore

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »
Solely based on that argument, the masters candidate may have had more experience in the work environment while the ph.d candidate was stuck in the university.

The argument basically is "why is a white man with a masters a more qualified candidate than a black man with a ph.d??"

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »
Ok, MissNatasha, I'm putting you on the seat of heat. Right here, right now, on the record: are you Deaf enough to be President of Gallaudet University? Yes or no?

missnatasha

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Solely based on that argument, the masters candidate may have had more experience in the work environment while the ph.d candidate was stuck in the university.

[/b]
Except that the criteria the search committee agreed on required that eligible candidates needed a ph.d and published works. The masters candidate had neither.
xMissNatashax