Author Topic: Gallaudet and the protests  (Read 7029 times)

missnatasha

Re: Gallaudet and the protests
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by missnatasha:

Originally posted by econo:
  Solely based on that argument, the masters candidate may have had more experience in the work environment while the ph.d candidate was stuck in the university.

The argument basically is "why is a white man with a masters a more qualified candidate than a black man with a ph.d??"
[/b]
Except that the criteria the search committee agreed on required that eligible candidates needed a ph.d and published works. The masters candidate had neither. [/b]
LOL

I'm 23, why would I want to be president?

The issue really isn't about JK being Deaf enough. Our current president wasn't born Deaf, his ASL sucks, and people still love him.

But as for your question. If I had the education background and was old enough, I'd say i don't know. What is "Deaf enough"??

I'm fluent in ASL and English, I come from a culturally Deaf family who are also Deaf educators. But does that make me Deaf enough?

'Deaf enough' is a matter of perception. It's a bad argument to use as reasoning why JK is not good enough. Maybe there are a few people out there who believe that reason, but it is not why the protest started.

People who focus on JK not being Deaf enough completely miss the point.
xMissNatashax

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »

Originally posted by Surly Bonds:

And yes, I have heard of the Iraqi war and global warming, thanks for your concern :-)
Have you heard that 'Gorbal warming' is merely a fanciful theory...like the theory that UFOs are time machines? [/b]
That must explain why its hotter than hell outside and last week it was freezing cold. [/b]
What? So you expect it to be 72 F 24 hours a day, 365 days a year???

FYI: Weather is variable and always has been.  I guess this never occured to you..?!?

ggw

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
Have you ever considered a cochlear implant?

missnatasha

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Have you ever considered a cochlear implant?
Nah, with my hearing aides I hear pretty well so I don't see the need for a CI.

Now if I were to wake up stone Deaf one morning, then I definitely would. (I know like a dozen people thats happened to)
xMissNatashax

ratioci nation

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »
  Have you heard that 'Gorbal warming' is merely a fanciful theory...like the theory that UFOs are time machines?
are you a member yet?

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Forget Galludet,  John Shopkins is the real story today!

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

Have you heard that 'Gorbal warming' is merely a fanciful theory...like the theory that UFOs are time machines?
are you a member yet? [/b]
I should ax you the same thing for your herd mentality.

ratioci nation

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
  I should ax you the same thing for your herd mentality.
how can you possibly be so sure its not a possibility, you can see it with some skepticism sure but to compare it to the theory that ufos are time machines is ludicrous

godsshoeshine

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 04:35:00 pm »
sure took a hell of alot of protesting. good for you
Originally posted by vansmack:
 At least somebody cares in this country.
amen
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »
Wait a second --- UFO's aren't really time machines?!?!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 07:42:00 pm »
I tried to understand the motives behind the protest, but the reasons just seemed kinda bogus to me.  "She's cold and distant."  Or, "she doesn't have good management skills."  Or, "the board was not inclusive enough in its search."   None of these seem like reasons to camp out for weeks.  

To me, it seems like there were two more likely reasons:

* protesting just for the sake of protesting, which college students have been known to do;

* objection to the fact that she wasn't raised with ASL but learned it as an adult instead.   To me, this smacks of extreme elitism and predjudice.

In my opinion, the motives were probably a combination of those two things.

It would have been very interesting to see a poll of the full student body and faculty, to see how representative these very vocal protesters were.
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  I tried to understand the motives behind the protest, but the reasons just seemed kinda bogus to me.  "She's cold and distant."  Or, "she doesn't have good management skills."  Or, "the board was not inclusive enough in its search."  

first "reason": yeah, weak, get over it.
 second: completely valid objection.  she was hired to manage the school.
 third: implication is preferencial treatment, insider job, etc... again, valid in my books (if in fact true, of course)

It would have been very interesting to see a poll of the full student body and faculty, to see how representative these very vocal protesters were.
would only reveal the same as at any other protest.  were all protesters at the battle in seattle (or quebec city, etc) the violent anarchists we saw on TV?  or even representative of the population of those cities, or the country?
<sig>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 08:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
   were all protesters at the battle in seattle (or quebec city, etc) the violent anarchists we saw on TV?  or even representative of the population of those cities, or the country?
yes, no and no.
OU812

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 12:27:00 am »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
 how can you possibly be so sure its not a possibility, you can see it with some skepticism sure but to compare it to the theory that ufos are time machines is ludicrous
If it is heating up a bit it's due more to solar flare activity than to Al Gore.  

Increased solar radiation could be a good thing for Canadian farmers, btw.

bull930

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 04:29:00 am »
I honestly don't think they laid down the law and made it clear they weren't going to change their decision.

To me this was just news for the sake of it being news. Let the lady do her job and if she messes up then there is a reason.

They kept saying she is part deaf which is not a reason to fire. You cannot fire based on bias. I wonder if they will cave in for everything. Sometimes you have to lay down the law.