Author Topic: Non-smoking shows  (Read 12981 times)

sch2383

Re: Non-smoking shows
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »
I went to Neko Case back in April and that was non-smoking.  Of course she is actually allergic to the smoke and you don't want anything messing with that voice.

I really don't care one way or another if the show is smoking or not, but I can understand why non-smoking musicians would ask not to be exposed to clouds of smoke night after night.

Shadrach

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

Originally posted by Shadrach:
  So many major cities have already gone non-smoking that I think the bands are starting to get used to it and in many cases prefer it. Since we try to be artist friendly we honor these requests for non-smoking shows.

personally I think all the non-smoking shows are a good thing. It gives the fans and employees a chance to get used to the ban before it gets enforced.
So how come the Back Bar has been non-smoking on two of the three occassions I've recently been to? And what's the club's policy going to be come Jan 01? Is it going to be feasible to monitor the in/out traffic for smokers? [/b]
Our policy will be the same as the rest of the city, no smoking. We allow in's and out's for most of our shows now, I don't see why things would change.

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  begin remarks with opposing views
Without the lead in California taking a stance as it did 10 years ago (or any other gov for that matter) you know it likely never would have happened with market forces alone.  All things are not equal.  I'm proud to be part of the example that is spreading across the nation, and the the world for that matter.  Nothing the business owners predicted ever happened - profits are not down, people are still going out, and smokers can still go outside to enjoy their addiction.  It just stopped affecting me, and it's great!

And yes, I will be voting to increase the cigarette tax 13 cents on each cigarette distributed ($2.60 per pack) in California next week, and I'm not even the slightest bit apologetic for it.  Smokers, I'm over you and your so called rights.
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »
I am surprised The Decemberists was non smoking considering I am surprised I didnt get a contact high at their portland show, but that is par for the course it seems at Crystal Ballroom shows.

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 06:09:00 pm »
That's a whole lotta surprise!

Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  I am surprised The Decemberists was non smoking considering I am surprised I didnt get a contact high at their portland show, but that is par for the course it seems at Crystal Ballroom shows.

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

And yes, I will be voting to increase the cigarette tax 13 cents on each cigarette distributed ($2.60 per pack) in California next week, and I'm not even the slightest bit apologetic for it.  Smokers, I'm over you and your so called rights.
so why are cigarettes singled out, when do the higher taxes on gasoline and fatty foods get implemented

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
 [QB] That's a whole lotta surprise!
:eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  ]when do the higher taxes on gasoline...get implemented
I'm voting for that one too, but I'm going to get killed in this election.  It's going to take time:  

Prop 87

As for the fatty foods, as soon as it reaches my ballot, I'll let you know.  We can't fix everything out here...
27>34

alex

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »
Leave the fatty foods alone until we get a true national health care system.  I like my unhealthy treats every now and then, and that really doesn't affect anyone but me.

Bags

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by thingsfallapart:
  Probably pure coincedence.  I think artists who request non-smoking shows are pretty lame though.  They should get over themselves.
I don't think it's just coincidence.  I think as more and more cities have gone smoke-free, the appreciation of a smoke free environment has grown with artists as they experience it other places.  Makes sense.  And the clock is ticking for D.C. anyway.  Think of it as being weened.

Personally, I loved it last night for The Decemberists.
 -edit-
 Hadn't seen Shadrach's reply.  Ditto!

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »
People who refuse to eat fast food are conceited poseurs.  I hate you.

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:
  People who refuse to eat fast food are conceited poseurs.  I hate you.
Who said they don't eat fast food?  I surely didn't.  All weekend long all I wanted was the Burger King Italian Chicken Sandwich they kept showing the ads for during the football games.  Mmm, mmm.
27>34

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »
I had two Taco Bell cheesy gordita crunches for lunch.  For a limited time only.

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:
  I had two Taco Bell cheesy gordita crunches for lunch.  For a limited time only.
That's what I'm having for dinner tonight - can't wait!  How was the secret sauce?
27>34

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 07:04:00 pm »
Always ask for FIRE sauce.

I feel really guilty 'cause I had Little Ceasars pizza for dinner, as well.  The wife's outta town you see.  No salad for me today.