Author Topic: Who's more overrated: Sufjan Stevens or The Decemberist  (Read 7829 times)

bellenseb

Who's more overrated: Sufjan Stevens or The Decemberist
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
??

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Who's more overrated: Sufjan Stevens or The Decemberist
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »
Wow, toughie. I'll vote Sufjan.

Good topic, btw.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »
Sufjan.
(_|_)

crevers

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »
Decemberists.  Multiple individuals--whose musical tastes I respect--recommended them.  I listened repeatedly to the first two albums.  I tried not paying attention to the lyrics.  I tried analyzing the lyrics.  I tried lowering my expectations.  Ultimately, nothing.  The only song of theirs I like is the cover of The Outfield's "Your Love."  I haven't hated what I've heard from the new album, but all in all, vastly overrated.

I don't think Sufjan is over- or underrated.  I appreciated the ridiculous bravado of his 50 states / 50 albums ambition.  "Illinois" was worthy of the album-of-year consideration it received.  And along with Brian Wilson, he's given me some updated Christmas listening.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »
Decemberists (though i do like them)

i also don't think Sufjan is over or underrated

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »
Sufjan's music is unlistenable after a few listens. I got tired of Illinoise very quickly.
(_|_)

distance

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »
i haven't seen sufjan, but i suffered through the decemberists for seeing tortoise again and i absolutely despised every minute i was standing there.  i wish there were some justification for throwing things because then i would feel good about chucking some stuff at them.  though i suppose if throwing stuff at the stage were ok, they'd be selling aerodynamic projectiles just inside the doors at some inflated price.

chokeychicken

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »
i do not believe either of these bands are overrated.  i believe both of them are talented and are worlds better than most bands in underground music right now.

but if i had to pick one or the other, i'd have to say the decemberists.

bellenseb

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
Sufjan for me. The Decemberists have recorded some good tunes; they're just becoming increasingly smarmy, distant, insular and overdone as time goes on.

Sufjan, on the other hand, has no soul.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »
I'm not familiar enough with The Decemberists to have formed an opinion about them.

I really like Illinoise but Sufjan's influences are often pretty obvious. For example (and without refering to song titles), I sometimes hear straight up Zappa and Reich (especially the last track). He wears his influences well but to grow as an artist he needs to absorb them more and imitate them less.

madgypsy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »
yes

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »
Never heard either.

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Sufjan, on the other hand, has no soul.
I disagree. John Wayne Gacy Jr. from the Illinois album really gets me in that it gives seemingly trivial details about the boys he killed, and he sings it in a moving way. And I think the Seven Swans album is just gorgeous.

I do think he's a little overly clever -- as evidenced by this whole 50 states/albums plan, as well as some of his song titles -- but he's so musically talented and interesting that he's among my favorites. I like the fact that someone like him is successful.

The Decemberists, on the other hand, do absolutely nothing for me.
oword

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »
Without a doubt, The Decemberists.

Can't call myself much of a Sufjan fan but I can appreciate a few songs in small doses and in the right mood. Other than that, the worst that would happen is that I would get bored and do something or fall asleep.

With The Decemberists, it's the opposite side of the coin. They make me want to kill or be killed as they irritate me that much! They are at the bottom of my barrel next to Erase Errata who put me in the same mood. My world would be a much happier place without either of these bands.

In all fairness to the band, it's mostly Colin Meloy's musical stylings, especially his vocals. I cringe whenever I hear that man sing. If I was ever to bitch slap anyone, it would be him. Just keep him away from me. Especially away from my ears!

Bags

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »
Conor Oberst