Author Topic: Olsson's Penn Quarter Closing  (Read 4087 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Olsson's Penn Quarter Closing
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
Dear Friends,

After 15 years in The Lansburgh building on 7th Street NW, the Penn Quarter branch of Olsson's will close on Friday, June 27, 2008. The landlord has other plans for the space. We would like to thank the many loyal customers who have shopped with us throughout the years. It has been a wonderful experience to serve this community, and we look forward to continuing the relationship with you at our five other locations.

Olsson's was a pioneer in the Penn Quarter, with a number of other local independent businesses, years before it became the thriving downtown we have now. We have enjoyed being a part of this evolving neighborhood. We are proud of the staff at Olsson's, Footnotes Cafe and our many customers, including the Shakespeare Theatre patrons, who have supported us. The store endeavored to offer a unique selection of merchandise, staff recommendations and a prestigious nationally known reading series, which featured such authors as Tom Clancy, Al Gore, General Wesley Clark, Jamie Lee Curtis, Goldie Hawn, Nick Hornby, Dinaw Mengestu, Anne Rice, Alexander McCall Smith, Cornell West, and Tom Wolfe, to name just a few.

Olsson's staff remains dedicated to selling books, and we remain firmly committed to the special ambiance that independent, neighborhood stores can provide. We understand the store will be missed and we are actively pursuing a new location, so if there are any interested or knowledgable parties out there reading this, please send us your suggestions. It will, however, take a special person or situation in this market to step forward to support the diversity and value that a bookstore can offer.

You, as loyal customers, are the key to the future success of our stores. We ask you to support us at this location one final time. Please shop our Sale. In so doing, you will be investing in the future of an independent bookstore, and give us the chance to thank you again for your support.

Thank you,
 Olsson's
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Olsson's Penn Quarter Closing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »
wow.  that's a bitch.
<sig>

Cali

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
that's unfortunate. guess folx will have to foot it over to borders or whatever it is 12th st.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »
supposedly their stock is 50 to 75 % off now through their closing next friday.
nothx

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
Woo! But it's a damn shame they're closing. Ugh.
Woof.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »
annnd, in case anyone cares. apparently this is what is going in:

http://wagamama.us/
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »
i gotta say that i love wagamama   :D  ... my first guess for a replacement would have been a bank branch, so this is much better

when i was in london for a couple of weeks in 2002 i ate there almost every day
(o|o)

Tonorro

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »
I am sorry to hear you are closing the Penn Quarter location.  It has been a favorite place of mine to browse books and CDs and have a cup of coffee.  With the previous closing of the Georgetown and Metro Center stores, I hope you are not losing critical mass.  Olsson's is home grown Washington and we need it to maintain a local flavor.

bellenseb

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
Maybe they could make a go of it in the just-vacated Books a Million space in Shirlington.

What with the Signature theater, library, indie movie theater, and Busboys & Poets, plus lots of new residential and shopping, it's becoming something of an arts district with more foot traffic. And Olssons' relatively hip, local vibe and stock would fit in better than Wonder Bread BAM.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
A friend of mine went by yesterday and said it was a ZOO.  Lots of folks looking for cheap books & records...

eltee

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tonorro:
  Olsson's is home grown Washington and we need it to maintain a local flavor.
My cousins work in the warehouse - keep supporting mom-n-pop shops!

Driveway

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »
There's not much there, I stopped in today.  I thought about buying The Brunettes album, but put it back when I saw the line...

They had a few copies of Scarlett Johansen, Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist, Junkies XL and thats about it.  I didn't look at the books. It felt like Costco in there and I'm not much for competitive shopping.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »
Wow, that is sad that they'll be gone.   That place had a nice bookstore vibe that Borders lacks.

On the other hand, Wagamama is AWESOME!   Although I wonder if the competition will hurt Teaism.
_\|/_

hutch

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »
man the Olssons people just don't know what they are doing.... they need to change their business model.. since I moved to DC area in 1994 they've closed I think 5-6 stores! There was Gtown , Bethesda, Metro Center, the Arlington store has been halfed (its a shell of what it was)...

People at Olssons: REACT!!!!!!!!

I do note that when they changed those coupons they gave from $20 off to 20% off they lost a lot of goodwill and certainly some customers...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
I wonder how much of it is just the simple economics that there's no way for a local business (even if a chain) to compete against national chains...
_\|/_