Author Topic: VIRGIN FESTIVAL 2007...Pimlico or Stadium?  (Read 8383 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
VIRGIN FESTIVAL 2007...Pimlico or Stadium?
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:36:00 am »
whaddyathink?

and would you actually not go to one vs the other?

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: VIRGIN FESTIVAL 2007...Pimlico or Stadium?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:42:00 am »
If by stadium you mean RFK, then yes I'd go.  :)

If held in DC, you'll get more people from Virginia showing up and the Baltimore people would still come down. If held in Baltimore, you'll probably get more people from PA (Pitt and Philly) than Va. I do think it's somewhat of a double-edge sword.

DC is central, has metro and light-rail access as well as Nat'l airport  :)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

mbg73

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:00 am »
Which stadium?  I'd probably choose Pimlico, though. and it would make a difference.  The main reasons I went this year were 1) location and 2) I had never seen the Who.  I especially liked how the second stage worked out at Pimilico.  I don't know that I'd bother if it were at a stadium, even if it remained in Baltimore.  In the end it would probably depend on what kind of lineup you put together.

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:47:00 am »
I will definitely vote Pimlico. Even if you mean M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.  (which is 5 blocks from my house!)

Stadiums are so restrictive and they loom so large on an otherwise free spirited day.

I go to festivals as much as i can because of the venues they are in..parks, deserts, fields, not stadiums and ampitheatres.

If Pimlico doenst work out, maybe something like it....but NOT RFK.   Unlesss you get Radiohead or Pink Floyd or something, i wont be attending any more concerts at RFK.

dont make VirginFest into HFStival part II!!!!

:)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:00 am »
wow, toughie...

pimlico: lots of open space = easier to have stands, info booths, different food vendors, etc.  flat = hard to see the stage.

stadium: better for viewing of the main stage, even some raised seating.  walking from main stage (inside) to second stage (outside) isn't a problem, but creates a mental separation - maybe that's a good thing.  better infrastructure for such large events - public transpo, parking, flush toilets.

all and all, i'm leaning towards stadium.  slightly.  above it, it's about the bands.  for the right line-up i'd go to kazakhstan.

an ideal outdoor spot would be something naturally shaped like a bowl, so as you go back from the stage the ground rises up.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
Park. Is there a park like Grant Park or Zilker Park in the DC area?  :)
(_|_)

mbg73

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
I agree with le sonick 100%.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
a way that Lollapalooza got rid of the flat park = hard to see the stage problem is that their stages were VERY high up from the ground.

the may have been 10-15 feet up!! a little annoying when you were all the way up front, but my 5'7" girlfriend didnt miss a beat with the extra height!!!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
Multiple days at Merriweather.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:06:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Multiple days at Merriweather.
I like this idea the best.

bearman🐻

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
How about Bull Run? Just kidding.

I personally vote RFK, but that's also because it's walking distance from my house.

Hey Seth, the next time you do one of these Virgin Fest thingies, have you thought about narrowing it down to a Coachella East kind of thing? I know you need the draw of big bands and names, but I'm sure that you could pull it off. In my mind, this is the kind of lineup I would imagine (and by next year, a lot of these bands would be supporting new records or about to support them):

Radiohead, Bjork, the newly-reformed Smashing Pumpkins, Blur, The Stooges (who have yet to play DC), the Shins, Queens of the Stone Age, Interpol, and then you can round it out with any other bands that are name-drawers at that particular moment. I know you have to think about commercial appeal...but Radiohead is a huge name and that would do it.

Of course the dance element will be good too: DJ Shadow, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher...whatever. But if you narrow it down to a certain niche, you'll give Coachella a run for the money and you'll certainly get people traveling from all over the place for it. I can't imagine Branson wouldn't want to put the Virgin name on something like that.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
me third on multiple days at merriweather...

i like the idea of pimlico if the festival were smaller with two mid size stages with 9:30 or slightly high level acts on both. just not a fan of having to deal with a huge of mass of people crowded around a main stage.

would have preferred a stadium over pimilico this time in order to get a decent vantage point to see the Who. any stadium setup would have to an easily accessible second stage.  

for the few stadium or arena acts i'm more inclinded to want to see them on their own instead of at a festival.  but a festival where i can get to sample some tasty less popular bands is my kind of festival
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 11:38:00 am »
A downtown park would be ideal, but we don't live in Chicago or NYC.

I would go to RFK before Pimlico, but I would go to Pimlico before I would go to M&T.

K8teebug

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 11:52:00 am »
Pimlico or Merriweather.

I'm not much for stadium shows of any kind.

Tom Servo

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
Pimlico.  Logistics weren't bad this year for me and I like the extra space.  Never been to a concert at RFK but I can't see how it would be better.