Author Topic: Pro Cameras?  (Read 1589 times)

asidewalkstar

Pro Cameras?
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »
I was wondering why clubs like 9:30 and Recher don't allow pro cameras.  The only thing I can come up with that they're afraid people will sell them to make money?  I'd really love to bring my camera to Matt Nathanson October 18 (he's very pro audio taping and cameras), and I wanted to figure out how to do so.  Can we pay for a photo pass if we have like a student press pass/ID or sign a waiver saying they're only for personal use?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

eddie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pro Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »
I don't know about Recher, but the 9:30 Club doesn't care one way or another about whether or not you bring cameras, recorders, tape decks or sketch pads to the concert.  However,  most bands or their management DO care.  Essentially they want to retain control over what images and recordings become part of the public record.  If you bring some dictaphone to a show and then sell the recordings  or poast them to some file sharing website and somebody listens to the shitty recording you made from the bar with your device shoved into your boot and decides that is what said band sounds like live,  they will probably pass on the next show and perhaps the band in question entirely. And there are also people who DO want to make a buck off of selling images of bands when that is really not their right.  And suppose you shoot a picture of Joe Musician picking his nose in the wings,  could you resists poasting that somewhere?  Do you think they want that?  Anyhoo,  at the end of the day we here at the 9:30 Club don't care one way or the other.  We are just enforcing whatever policy the band or their representation has asked of us.

eddie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pro Cameras?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »
I don't know about Recher, but the 9:30 Club doesn't care one way or another about whether or not you bring cameras, recorders, tape decks or sketch pads to the concert.  However,  most bands or their management DO care.  Essentially they want to retain control over what images and recordings become part of the public record.  If you bring some dictaphone to a show and then sell the recordings  or poast them to some file sharing website and somebody listens to the shitty recording you made from the bar with your device shoved into your boot and decides that is what said band sounds like live,  they will probably pass on the next show and perhaps the band in question entirely. And there are also people who DO want to make a buck off of selling images of bands when that is really not their right.  And suppose you shoot a picture of Joe Musician picking his nose in the wings,  could you resists poasting that somewhere?  Do you think they want that?  Anyhoo,  at the end of the day we here at the 9:30 Club don't care one way or the other.  We are just enforcing whatever policy the band or their representation has asked of us.