Author Topic: FiOS timetable?  (Read 3520 times)

beetsnotbeats

FiOS timetable?
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
I saw Verizon contractors laying cable in my Greenbelt 'hood as I was leaving this morning. Anybody have an idea about how long it takes to go live with FiOS from this point?

ggw

Re: FiOS timetable?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:
  I saw Verizon contractors laying cable in my Greenbelt 'hood as I was leaving this morning. Anybody have an idea about how long it takes to go live with FiOS from this point?
Based on my experience, it was about four weeks from the completion of the underground work before the salesman started hitting up everyone on my block, and about another three before I got an installation appointment (it takes all day).

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
Danke.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
we were supposed to have it a year ago. still nothing
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »
except that it's been over four weeks, the end of october, since verizon pulled some of the wiring for FIOS in the historic hood of greenbelt... hopefully what you are seeing is them finishing up the process.  i really want to drop my over priced DSL provider..
T.Rex

Here's the thing

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »
When we signed up, it was a big help to compare the prices between our old company, Cox, and Verizon. They have the advertised Fios package, but they gave me an additional $10 per month off, plus 2 $100 verizon "gift cards" to beat the best price Cox offered. This was on top of the $200 Best Buy card that we opted for instead of the 19" TV they are currently offering.
 It never works for me when buying cars, but the "negotiation" worked in this case. They are anxious to get people to make the switch, so you might do even better.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  except that it's been over four weeks, the end of october, since verizon pulled some of the wiring for FIOS in the historic hood of greenbelt... hopefully what you are seeing is them finishing up the process.  i really want to drop my over priced DSL provider..
I'm in Boxwood Village (near the police station and the Lakeside North apartments). A few weeks ago I saw the same crew (perhaps) laying cable along Kenilworth just north of Crescent Rd.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »
do you guys have phone and tv with the internet, or just the net?
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  do you guys have phone and tv with the internet, or just the net?
I have all three with FIOS.  The price (including all the miscellaneous taxes and charges) is almost exactly what I was paying for the three services before (when Comcast was providing the net and TV).  But I get like a kajillion more channels - including a couple of dozen HD channels - and the internet is exponentially faster.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »
I loved everything about Fios except the DVR was a serious POS.  And adding an HD tivo wasn't a good option for me....

godsshoeshine

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »
i'm just worried i'm going to get raped for just the net (and maybe phone)
o/\o

Got Haggis?

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
sadly, i think FIOs is never going to come to baltimore city.

930clubber

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 02:09:00 am »
it was a year before the first signs -- notification of work flyers from the contractor -- to actual service in my experience.

if you don't live in a FiOS neighborhood, MOVE TO ONE.  fiber rawks.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
so the fios dvr is a pos...  does fios tv have OnDemand? does it play well with TIVO?
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
I am not a DVR connoisseur, but I don't have any issues with my FIOS DVR.  Yes, they have On Demand.