Author Topic: Radiohead - discuss possible venues here  (Read 27071 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Radiohead - discuss possible venues here
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
Classic case of a band playing 2 nights in the area anyway...it just so happened that there is a festival in the area...

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  RH to play 2 nights of the APW festival:

pitchfork -  urb

for those loathing both festivals and nissan pavilion, RH should be playing philly (AKA camden) in august as well.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  Classic case of a band playing 2 nights in the area anyway...it just so happened that there is a festival in the area...
according to pitchfork, "Looks like those rumors about Radiohead playing the inaugural edition of the All Points West Music & Arts Festival were true, as reported by URB Magazine and subsequently confirmed. (...) Radiohead will headline the first two nights, August 8 and 9."

so stop being a doubting thomas and join us in the what-will-they-play game     :p    

julian, i'd be hunky-dory with your proposed setlist.  no complaints whatsoever.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »
 julian, i'd be hunky-dory with your proposed setlist.  no complaints whatsoever.
Yeah, folks like ourselves would love something like that, but there's still a contingency out there that'd hate a Kid A to current show. Not sure if they'd be at APW, but whatever...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »
They will play an almost entirely the same setlist with 3-5 song variation, like they did in 2006.

so stop being a doubting thomas and join us in the what-will-they-play game      :p    

(_|_)

thingsfallapart

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »
  makes me wonder what RH is going to do over two nights.  they're playing to the same crowd, so they can't play the same set.  they're headlining, so they have 1.5 hours (if not more) to fill.

obviously they'll play most (if not all) of In Rainbows, but it would be cool if they also played an entire album from start to finish.  they can choose any one, i'm not picky    :)  
I'm not actually a fan of the playing an entire album in a live setting idea.  I think a live show is special because it's different from the albums--if I wanted to hear all of Kid A, I'd just put on Kid A.  I think the power of a great live show comes from the unexpected setlists, reimagined compositions, and general audacity that an album doesn't really produce.

As for those who think Radiohead will play essentially the same set two nights in a row--I believe you're dead wrong.  This isn't the same as merely playing two nights in the same city--as is being noted in nearly every article about APW, this is the first time one band has played two nights of a major American rock festival.  Radiohead knows that everyone will be watching and expecting them to do something spectacular.  I think they will respond and play two wildly different shows.