Author Topic: doves / mercury rev show?  (Read 5908 times)

sonickteam2

Re: doves / mercury rev show?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  somehow i feel the flaming lips are laughing their asses off about it all.  mercury rev should of hung it up after releasing that poop ship, "all is dream."
have you heard thier new one?  Mercury Rev owes nothing to the Flaming Lips.

walkonby

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 05:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

somehow i feel the flaming lips are laughing their asses off about it all.  mercury rev should of hung it up after releasing that poop ship, "all is dream."
have you heard thier new one?  Mercury Rev owes nothing to the Flaming Lips. [/b]
owes nothing?  would there even be a mercury rev if the lips never existed?  i have not heard the new one by mercury, because i keep hearing not so good things about it . . . but why in the hell should i listen to others?  i'm going to go out and buy that thing today.  man, if it sucks like "all is dream," i'm going to be pissed.  i  love the rev. i worshipped them at one point, so when i heard that they were playing, i didn't care if they were the opener or the opener opener, but now i question is it worth going to see a show where i've never really listened to the opener at all.  should i give doves a chance?  i went to see sonic youth and wilco at dar, and stayed around for wilco to give them a chance, and man did they ever dissapoint.  sorry to those people who love wilco.  i don't like the pixies either, so stone me to death for jehovah.

ratioci nation

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
If anything I would say flaming lips owe mercury rev

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 05:12:00 pm »
 owes nothing?  would there even be a mercury rev if the lips never existed?  
i dont really think its like the flaming lips came out all the much before Mercury Rev. maybe 2 or 3 years, but i wouldnt say that the Flaming Lips were some big influential band in 1990. (what were they even playing in 1985!?)

well, either way, last time i saw the Flaming Lips they put on some big dumb show with stupid stage antics and so many props, they only played 4 songs.  weak.

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
from allmusic -

Not so much a band as a long, strange trip, the chaotic avant pop pranksters Mercury Rev formed in Buffalo, NY, in the late '80s. Originally comprised of vocalist David Baker, vocalist/silver pickup guitarist Jonathan Donahue, guitar shaper/single-exhaust clarinetist Grasshopper (born Sean Mackowiak), rooster-tail bass flutist Suzanne Thorpe, bass explorer Dave Fridmann, and mojo stick drummer Jimy Chambers, the sextet -- always rife with personality conflicts -- interacted with one another infrequently, and their first recordings evolved simply as a means of creating soundtracks for the members' experimental student films as well as for Howard Nelson's Lite-Brite and Marco Fogg's Sugardaddy Sea.

Encouraged to further their music by academic mentor Tony Conrad -- a minimalist composer and multimedia artist who had performed with John Cale, La Monte Young, and Faust -- the loosely connected aggregate dubbed Mercury Rev (a name whose inspiration was variously attributed to an imaginary Russian ballet dancer, a sharp rise in temperature, or a revved-up auto) began to emerge, and eventually the group recorded a demo onto a reel of 35mm magnetic film. At the same time, Donahue was working as a concert promoter and scheduled a Butthole Surfers gig; after the show, he befriended the support act, Oklahoma's likeminded Flaming Lips, and soon joined the tour as a guitar technician. Ultimately, Donahue -- under the alias "Dingus" -- became the Lips' lead guitarist, and with them recorded 1990's In a Priest Driven Ambulance, an album produced by Fridmann.

With Mercury Rev effectively in limbo and its members scattered across the country, their demo tape somehow made its way to the British offices of the Rough Trade label, which contacted Baker about signing the group. Soon, the band convened to record their debut, Yerself Is Steam, an LP cut at the same time Donahue and Fridmann were also working on the Flaming Lips' major-label bow, Hit to Death in the Future Head.

joz

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »

owes nothing?  would there even be a mercury rev if the lips never existed?  
i dont really think its like the flaming lips came out all the much before Mercury Rev. maybe 2 or 3 years, but i wouldnt say that the Flaming Lips were some big influential band in 1990. (what were they even playing in 1985!?)

well, either way, last time i saw the Flaming Lips they put on some big dumb show with stupid stage antics and so many props, they only played 4 songs.  weak. [/b]
so, you were at coachella too?? don't forget that one of the four songs was "happy birthday" to beck and melissa ribisi...bunk.

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 05:18:00 pm »
i do agree that wayne might be, and that's a huge "MIGHT BE" getting in over his head with the popularity of the lips.  god, not another mick j.!!!!  only the music will tell.  the new album this summer should break 'em or make 'em even more.  am i'm not 100%, but i think the lips might have started in pre-eighty-five, but i'll have to consult my yoshima blow up doll.

SPARX

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
  If anything I would say flaming lips owe mercury rev
I'l second that opinion.To me the debt of gratitude is three-fold. First MR should thank Sony for signing them and re-issuing Yerself is Steam,jumpstarting a band in virtual limbo. The second being one owed to Donahue by the Flaming Lips,for coming aboard and recording arguably the Lips best  albums In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Hit to Death in The Future Head.MR should also thank Dean Wareham  for Car Wash Hair,the single that propelled them to exposure the likes they'd never seen.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
   at the same time Donahue and Fridmann were also working on the Flaming Lips' major-label bow, Hit to Death in the Future Head. [/b]
so Donahue was in both bands???? interesting!

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
whats interesting is that if you look up the Flaming Lips on allmusic, Mercury Rev is listed in the "See also" category.   but when looking up Mercury Rev, the lips are "Similar Artists"

ggw

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
 i went to see sonic youth and wilco at dar, and stayed around for wilco to give them a chance, and man did they ever dissapoint.
A poor performance from which to base your opinion of the band.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

i went to see sonic youth and wilco at dar, and stayed around for wilco to give them a chance, and man did they ever dissapoint.
A poor performance from which to base your opinion of the band. [/b]
:roll:

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
  whats interesting is that if you look up the Flaming Lips on allmusic, Mercury Rev is listed in the "See also" category.   but when looking up Mercury Rev, the lips are "Similar Artists"
wow, that is interesting.
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
What's with the rolly-eyes?

If walkonby doesn't like Wilco, that's okay by me. I'm just pointing out that the DAR show was an atypical Wilco show.

A poor performance from which to base your opinion of the band. [/b]
:roll:  [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
  What's with the rolly-eyes?

If walkonby doesn't like Wilco, that's okay by me. I'm just pointing out that the DAR show was an atypical Wilco show.
sorry, i always roll my eyes when the thread turns to Wilco.   :eek: