Author Topic: Metropolitan on Sunday  (Read 2641 times)

redsock

Metropolitan on Sunday
« on: March 05, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
Anyone going? I've been wanting to check them out live for a long time. Just got an e-mail from them too. I've heard good things about the Rosebuds too. Can kill a few birds with one stone.

Bombay Chutney

Re: Metropolitan on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
i'm gonna try to go.

jkeisenh

lily1

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
their last show there was good, not great. but good. and the warehouse doesn't allow smoking, which is very nice!

Medusa

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
How late do these concerts at The Warehouse Next Door go until?

When I looked at doing something at this venue, it appeared that The Warehouse... didn't want to be open past midnight (even at one point 11 p.m., as one person "in charge" told me).

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 08:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Medusa:
 When I looked at doing something at this venue, it appeared that The Warehouse... didn't want to be open past midnight (even at one point 11 p.m., as one person "in charge" told me).

Oh man, on a Sunday night, that would make me SO happy....

Bags

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 08:29:00 pm »
METROPOLITAN
 THE ROSEBUDS (Merge Records)
 THIS RADIANT BOY
 SUN March 7
 Doors at 8 $7

METROPOLITAN is like a DC hardcore band trapped in a room full of pillows, as they deliver the goods for wide-eyed pop lovers and angst-filled feedback fanatics alike. With their fuzzy production, sharp hooks and naive approach, they come across as a snottier Teenage Fanclub. The two bands have a lot in common, but most importantly they can take dissonant guitar and ugly production and craft sweet pop songs out of all the noise.

THE ROSEBUDS are a hook-laden, energetic indie group from North Carolina plucked right out of Merge's backyard. Ivan, Kelly and John combine guitar, keyboards and drums to create their own special mix of pure pop perfection. They are pure energy, with a little bit of sass. Infectious pop hooks are the key, with lyrical charm and savvy.

THIS RADIANT BOY is Philadelphia's most visible embodiment of indie-rock geekiness, and they come off like a teenage Superchunk with a penchant for matching costumes.

walkman

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Oh man, on a Sunday night, that would make me SO happy.... [/b]
they're definitely stricter on weeknights, but not that strict...if people are hanging out and having a good time, the bands are usually pretty lax about setting up quickly...I'd expect Sunday to go until about midnight.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 07:39:00 pm »
  How late do these concerts at The Warehouse Next Door go until?

Last nights WSC show went until about 12:45, I think.  I didn't even get there until almost 11:00 and there were still 2 bands left.

redsock

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 10:02:00 pm »
  METROPOLITAN
 THE ROSEBUDS (Merge Records)
 THIS RADIANT BOY
 SUN March 7
 Doors at 8 $7

METROPOLITAN is like a DC hardcore band trapped in a room full of pillows, as they deliver the goods for wide-eyed pop lovers and angst-filled feedback fanatics alike. With their fuzzy production, sharp hooks and naive approach, they come across as a snottier Teenage Fanclub. The two bands have a lot in common, but most importantly they can take dissonant guitar and ugly production and craft sweet pop songs out of all the noise.

THE ROSEBUDS are a hook-laden, energetic indie group from North Carolina plucked right out of Merge's backyard. Ivan, Kelly and John combine guitar, keyboards and drums to create their own special mix of pure pop perfection. They are pure energy, with a little bit of sass. Infectious pop hooks are the key, with lyrical charm and savvy.

THIS RADIANT BOY is Philadelphia's most visible embodiment of indie-rock geekiness, and they come off like a teenage Superchunk with a penchant for matching costumes.
Bags, are you gonna be there tomorrow night? I may be solo, looking for a familiar face.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 10:49:00 pm »
I'm definitely going, and may be solo as well.  I got in late from out of town tonight and just don't have the energy for either of tonight's options....

I'm not sure what time to get there...I want to see the Rosebuds as well as Metropolitan.  By 10:00?

redsock

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 02:21:00 am »
  I'm definitely going, and may be solo as well.  I got in late from out of town tonight and just don't have the energy for either of tonight's options....

I'm not sure what time to get there...I want to see the Rosebuds as well as Metropolitan.  By 10:00?
Yeah, me too for both bands...trying to get the little lady to come along, damn multiple commitments. I think 10 is safe...though, will this place sell out before then? It is a Sunday night.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
So what did you guys think?  I thought the Rosebuds were a lot of fun.  Metropolitan was ok, but I wasn't blown away.  I'd check them both out again though.

redsock

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 12:41:00 pm »
I was really happy I went. I thought both bands were really good. A couple Metropolitan songs weren't that great, but I thought their set was really tight. And they seem like genuinely nice guys too. I talked with John after the show, and he was really cool. I will absolutely go see them again. I loved how the Rosebuds seemed to make songs using no words, just lots of "bu-bum-pa-bas". And having never been to the Warehouse Theatre, I was pretty happy with the place.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2004, 03:33:00 pm »
I agree with both of you, though Skeeter a bit more.  I definitely preferred the Rosebuds -- really fun songs, and I bought a CD (listening to it, and some songs really pop).  I will definitely see Metropolitan again; I can see liking them more and more as I see them more often.

Warehouse is a cool place.   (1) No smoking, (2) smaller than Black Cat backstage and bigger than Velvet Lounge, but nice and clean and square, (3) the stage is nice and high, a problem at backstage if you ask me (stage too low).  Lot's of hip-geeky looking indie folks.  And then there was redsock.

Skeeter, where were you standing?  We were over in front of the soundboard.