Author Topic: built to spill  (Read 880 times)

joz

built to spill
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
FROM THE ROAD WITH BUILT TO SPILL
 Julie Muncy of Warner Bros. Records recently caught up with Doug Martsch to confirm rumors surrounding Built To Spill and a possible new album. Here's her full report...
 _____

Early Spring 2005

There is rumor. There are questions. More rumor and more questions! And
 so much chatter about the
 possibility of new Built To Spill music... Could it be?

We couldn't take it ourselves! The curiosity was killing us.

I immediately volunteered for the fact finding mission. It is true. All true. I went straight to the source: Doug Martsch.

Doug and the rest of the band answered our inquiry...

Current band line up:
 Doug Martsch
 Scott Plouf
 Brett Nelson
 Jim Roth

Producers?
 The band, and ??Steve + Jake?

Guests?
 Sam Coombs on piano
 Steve on vibes, percussion and more

New album?
 They are currently ??mixing? songs for the new album. This ??mixing? includes spending long days in the studio: 12+hours, each band member adding his thoughts to the fine tuning of the music, some basketball, many cups of coffee and the more-than-occasional game of Bounty Hunter.(They kick ass!!)

Album release?
 Fall 2005
 Mike Scheer is currently working on the art/design.

Tour?
 May - East Coast and Midwest
 June + July - West Coast

And the grand finale... MUSIC. I heard music!!! ??Traces,? ??Liar,? and ??Conventional Wisdom? are the three songs I heard bits + pieces of. (Not sure if those are the ??official? titles but that's what they're calling 'em) The band said that these are the ??pop-y? songs and most of the album is filled with ??rockers.? For those that saw the
 band play All Tomorrow's Party this year, you heard all of these. Nearly the whole set was new songs. In a nutshell, these songs sound like everything you would want them to: ??Velvet Waltz,? ??Else? with a bit of ??Big Dipper.? Classic Built To Spill.

The one song I heard in its entirety: ??Traces?. It starts out with 3 or 4 minutes of pop song and turns into a sweeping jam that lasts for just as long. The Scott + Brett drum/bass partnership provides the ultimate foundation for Doug + Jim's guitars to soar in the second half of the
 song. Can't wait to hear the rest.

There you have it?enough info to soothe those burning questions.

Julie Muncy
 Warner Bros. Records