Author Topic: So what do you think of the new site?  (Read 32345 times)

vansmack

Re: So what do you think of the new site?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »
Is anybody volunteering to write the cgi script to make the redirect work?

It wasn't an html page, it's a cgi page with specific instructions. 

In time, people will figure it out soon enough.  After all, priority number one for seth and the boys is finding the home page....
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 06:28:22 pm »
It would be sort of interesting to try and draw out some trends on how quickly people caught on to the new location. I just discovered it today, having thought the old forum was down for 2 days or so. Are there consistent patterns among those for whom it took longer to show up? Age? Satisfaction in life? Amount of sex being had on daily basis?
oword

vansmack

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »
That would be cool to know.

I got a personal phone call from Seth (well, really it was his assistant, but let's not split hairs) telling me that there was a new site up, that seth apologized for the downtime and that if I wouldn't mind taking a few moments to fill him in on what things I thought he should be aware of while the site was down, he would really appreciate it.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:12 pm »
It would be sort of interesting to try and draw out some trends on how quickly people caught on to the new location. I just discovered it today, having thought the old forum was down for 2 days or so. Are there consistent patterns among those for whom it took longer to show up? Age? Satisfaction in life? Amount of sex being had on daily basis?

It's the new 9:30 Club IQ test. Apparently, we passed.

After using it for 2 days, I too will chime in with how much I hate the inside general look of the forum itself. Ugly, dirty, gritty colors and not easy to read for a number of reasons. I'm taking the extra step of using a different color font (which I know will get old fast) because the high contrast of the white type is way too difficult to read. The pearl grey of the old forum was perfect but I don't see it as an option here. It appeared white but was toned down enough to cut the contrast so you didn't get all those bright whites blinding your type. Even with the toned down type color, the entire look still plays havoc with the eyes.

I agree with Sweetcell (I think it was) too about the smilies. Too small. Look like yellow dots with smudges inside. The only ones that are easy to see at a glance are these little buggers.

;D :o ::)

Darth Ed

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »
You don't need a CGI to do redirects. The web server software should be able to do the redirects all by itself. They're called "rewrite rules." And, yes, if 930.com is using Apache (I haven't checked), I can help with that.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2008, 09:20:12 am »
I will stay away from aesthetic commentary since that is so up to individual taste, and instead focus on usability, which is more important.

Please fix the horizontal scroll...  it is one of the worst readability features on websites that require it (usually Myspace pages) and it appears to afflict both the front and forum pages.   On a 1024x768 screen with browser maximized you shouldn't have to scroll from side to side as well as up and down.  :(

_\|/_

nkotb

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2008, 10:25:05 am »
What horizontal scroll issues are you finding?  I've used Firefox and IE7 to view the site, and beyond one weird CSS issues with the header links in IE7, I haven't see a horizontal scroll at all.

Please fix the horizontal scroll...  it is one of the worst readability features on websites that require it (usually Myspace pages) and it appears to afflict both the front and forum pages.   On a 1024x768 screen with browser maximized you shouldn't have to scroll from side to side as well as up and down.  :(

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:47 am »
I am using Firefox on a Mac laptop, and to see the whole page I need to scroll from side to side.   You might have a higher screen resolution and therefore not have the scroll bar, but my configuration isn't at all unusual.

_\|/_

eltee

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:54 am »
Not complaining, just curious; Anyone know if there is an option in PMs to not have a "preview pane"? Basically, I just want to see the list of PM titles and click to open the one I want to read. I'm okay with viewing the most recent PM in preview, but multiples stacked is not my preference.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:11:11 pm by El Tee »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 03:29:27 pm »
OK it has been a few days and I have tried to put the site through its paces.  My impression is that the new layout is extremely cluttered and not very user friendly.  It looks like a site that was done by someone who just learned HTML and is attempting to show off all the kewl code they know rather then a professionally designed site that is user clean, intuitive, and user friendly.  As is the case with someone else who posted in this thread, I have been designing web sites for about a decade now.  One of the first things I noticed is that the code has 345 errors when run against W3C validation.  A professional web designer will always validate his code. 
FUKIT

vansmack

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »
One of the first things I noticed is that the code has 345 errors when run against W3C validation.  A professional web designer will always validate his code. 

How very punk rock of them...
27>34

SPARX

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:26 pm »
I have the same problem as Doom mentioned with the horizontal scroll. As for the rest of my thoughts, my momma said if I didn't have anything nice to say to keep my mouth shut. I realize somebody did alot of work to come up with this new design.

hutch

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2008, 12:52:10 am »
thumbs down..

i like the old website and forum

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2008, 02:01:02 pm »

It wasn't an html page, it's a cgi page with specific instructions. 

In time, people will figure it out soon enough.  After all, priority number one for seth and the boys is finding the home page....

This can be accomplished in the .htaccess file very easily.  No cgi is required.
FUKIT

tklancer

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:57 am »
I'm fine with the new page, but can I put in a request for an RSS feed?  All I generally care about are the new shows, so an RSS feed would be ideal for me.  Surely I can't be the only one who would like this?
(OK, I care about set times too, but that's less RSS-friendly)

-Tom