Author Topic: Nada Surf roll call  (Read 4961 times)

Smylie

Re: Nada Surf roll call
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 11:08:38 pm »
That one dude over on the far right was nuts.  I was about in the 4th row on that side of the floor and was just waiting for him to come down on me. 

I thought all 3 bands were good, with Delta Spirit being the best of them. 

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 10:02:06 am »
Nada Surf brought the goods, as always. Delta Spirit was good, but didn't blow me away. Jealous Girlfriends, not my cup of tea.

It's funny how Nada Surf has always has their merch for sale at a lower price than their openers.

When I was walking to the club, I was behind a guy who looked like the bass player for Nada Surf. When I was fishing for my id in front of the door, somebody tapped me on the shoulder and said "Excuse me" and then "Thanks". Indeed it was Mr. Lorca. I think the chain smoking is part of the stage act, as he wasn't smoking out on the street.

El Tee, I enjoyed meeting and hanging out. Joe Wanderlust, always a pleasure. Hope to see you both as well as the rest of y'all in 2009...as this was my last show of 08.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
I don't know Nada Surf but they are often recommended to me, with buzz regarding good live shows.  I was not very impressed; they sound like a generic version of a mash-up of a bunch of indie 90s bands [Teenage Fanclub, Buffalo Tom, Superdrag], all of which seem far better to me than Nada Surf.  And the songwriting is awfully simplistic, not in a good way.  Kind of odd, because I wouldn't have thought I'd notice or be put off by the songwriting during a live show of power pop...  I enjoyed the first few songs, then it got kind of boring.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:03 pm »
You're nuts.

I don't know Nada Surf but they are often recommended to me, with buzz regarding good live shows.  I was not very impressed; they sound like a generic version of a mash-up of a bunch of indie 90s bands [Teenage Fanclub, Buffalo Tom, Superdrag], all of which seem far better to me than Nada Surf.  And the songwriting is awfully simplistic, not in a good way.  Kind of odd, because I wouldn't have thought I'd notice or be put off by the songwriting during a live show of power pop...  I enjoyed the first few songs, then it got kind of boring.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 12:21:32 pm »
I'm not going to necessarily deny that, but it is what it is. 

You're nuts.

Driveway

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »
Does anyone have the setlist or a recording?  Did anyone notice if they had the boxset for sale or for how much?  Did Caws play any songs at the merch table after the show?  I hear he does that sometimes.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:14 pm »
They had the box set at the merch table. It was at least $100. Appears to be 110 on their website.

eltee

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »
I had a great time. Nada Surf put on a solid show. Excellent musicians. I am not diehard fan of theirs, but I do enjoy them nonetheless. To be fair, they are a helluva lot better than some bands out there, and they are only getting better. They're just not that particularly complicated and the audience [that night] was bred of the same -- both, I appreciated. Even the guy downstairs -- he was just happy in his own spot, enjoying the night. (I figured, as long he didn't go berserker and elbow me in the eye, I was fine.;))

DS and JS sets - It may have been rock and a Friday night, but, the volume was just TOO loud for their particular music (or was it just the vocals?), which made me unable to enjoy.

Rhett & Joe, had a nice time hanging out and meeting you both, too. Thanks for chatting!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:43:05 pm by El Tee »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 02:54:06 pm »
You mean the aerobics dancer?  ;)  Rhett was so fascinated by his moves...esp. when he started to sweat it out.

It was nice hanging/chatting with you also, El Tee...

Even the guy downstairs -- he was just happy in his own spot, enjoying the night. (I figured, as long he didn't go berserker and elbow me in the eye, I was fine.;))

Rhett & Joe, had a nice time hanging out and meeting you both, too. Thanks for chatting!

(_|_)

eltee

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:24 pm »
You mean the aerobics dancer?  ;)  Rhett was so fascinated by his moves...esp. when he started to sweat it out.

(I figured, as long he didn't go berserker and elbow me in the eye, I was fine.;))
He definitely did get a workout. Luckily the crow call was short. Hey....it just occurred to me - is that why you abandoned that area? Afraid of a little moshing are you?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
No, the guy went to "that area" during the later part of the show. He was very close to us during the first half of the show. Maybe he left because we were looking at him so much. I've seen him many times at other shows, the last one being the Brian Wilson show at the Warner....and that was a seated show!

He definitely did get a workout. Luckily the crow call was short. Hey....it just occurred to me - is that why you abandoned that area? Afraid of a little moshing are you?
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 12:08:01 pm »
Did you catch them at DC9 and/or RnR Hotel this year?? They are definitely better in a smaller setting...

I thought all 3 bands were good, with Delta Spirit being the best of them. 
(_|_)