Author Topic: Roll Call: Gene Ween Band  (Read 7308 times)

hutch

Re: Roll Call: Gene Ween Band
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
I agree what a dork! This was not a WEEN show and we had set lists from the previous shows..Anyways, that was the cool part about it: it wasn't the same Ween songs we always hear.. No Buenas Tardes Amigo, Dr Rock, Fantasy, PIss up a Rope..

That was part of what made it a cool show! Very much a Ween show but for once with a different set list!

I posted some video at www.47west63rd.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:23:01 am by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 11:35:05 am »
Apparently the rest of the shows are being scrubbed due to Gene being sick.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:54 am »
My main problem was that I just didn't like the new songs.  I was hoping for more rare Ween cuts, and it was nice to see Greg the Bunny (who knew?) and I'll Miss You, but the rest of the songs they played I had heard before, and the new ones I just didn't care for.  I agree with his overall assessment...just for different reasons.

Still, I can't beleive how many people yelled for Dr. Rock.  They fucking play it at every show...try something new!

I agree what a dork! This was not a WEEN show and we had set lists from the previous shows..Anyways, that was the cool part about it: it wasn't the same Ween songs we always hear.. No Buenas Tardes Amigo, Dr Rock, Fantasy, PIss up a Rope..

That was part of what made it a cool show! Very much a Ween show but for once with a different set list!

I posted some video at www.47west63rd.blogspot.com

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:32 am »
I could've done without the Instant Death songs. Thought the Gene songs varied in quality. "Let's Get Divorced" with Dave on tuba was hilarious.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:34 am »
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that I don't care much for Ween side- or related-projects.  A couple of the early songs they lent a hand to (there was a Frente song and a Ko-Stars songs that were good), but everything from Instant Death to Sound of Urchin are pretty lame.  Hell, even the Moistboyz are better in theory than practice...though at least they rock.

I could've done without the Instant Death songs. Thought the Gene songs varied in quality. "Let's Get Divorced" with Dave on tuba was hilarious.

hutch

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
Bummer about Gene Ween getting so sick..

He was definitely smoking at the Black Cat and thats never good if you're coming down with something....

I think the Gene Ween Band show at the Black Cat wasn't as immediate as a Ween show but for me - and I'm a pretty hardcore Ween fan- it was very rewarding.. I still have a little bit of a show buzz....Gene Ween was in such a good mood it was contagious

Vas Deferens

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 01:50:25 pm »
remaining 3 shows canceled due to sickness.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:01 pm »
On a semi-related note, How great was this show?

I think I heard everything I was hoping to hear that night.

احمد

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:57 pm »
No joke. That ending encore alone was worth the price of admission.  And look at all the rare cuts there!  That's what's been missing from the last few DC-area shows. 

On a semi-related note, How great was this show?

I think I heard everything I was hoping to hear that night.

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »
Yeah, that setlist was one of the best I've seen.

15 Albino Sunburn Girl
16 Final Alarm
03 She Fucks Me
04 Help Scrape The Mucus Off My Brain
05 Joppa Road
02 Gonna Be A Long Night
03 Ace of Spades
04 LMLYP

WOW
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:34:11 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:16 pm »
does ween in any of it forms, play morning glory live?  me loves me some of that one.

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »
I wish.

I don't think so.

You love that track yet you don't go to any of Snailhook's shows? ;)
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 01:36:04 am »
Every Ween show I've ever seen has had someone in the crowd scream for Mourning Glory and Old Man Thunder.  I love that they played Old Man Thumder at that God Ween Satan full album show they did back in 2001.  I wish to god that would leak...

does ween in any of it forms, play morning glory live?  me loves me some of that one.