Author Topic: Roll Call: Gene Ween Band  (Read 7309 times)

nkotb

Roll Call: Gene Ween Band
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:27:39 am »
Anyone heading up to Towson tonight?  I'm starting to dread the drive, but at least I get to see the show and visit my brother at school.  Two birds with one stone, eh?

I saw a setlist on Ween's forum...looks pretty heavy on new Gene songs, with a few choice covers and Ween songs thrown in.  Hopefully they're switching it up a good bit...I'm in for tomorrow night as well.

azaghal1981

Re: Roll Call: Gene Ween Band
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:21 pm »
Tomorrow here!
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:43:17 am »
It crushes me to be Debby Downer here, but man, that show was pretty bad.  I'm too lazy to retype my thoughts, so here's a quick recap of my Google Chat with Joe:

J:  how was it???

J:  or did u get lazy?? hahahhaa

me:  i went but it was pretty terrible.  i actually left early and might skip it tonight

J:  wow...why?

me:  i knew they were playing new stuff with some covers and ween songs thrown in and i was fine with it but the new songs were not very good and i'm not sure if it's a gene ween band set of songs or new ween songs.  the playing was just super lax.  it seemed more like a living room jam than anything else

J:  HAHAHAHAH...hippies!

me:  i did get to see one ween song i've never heard before.  also, the venue and crowd were terrible...a fist fight broke out next to me...no security

J:  wow

me:  and the crowd is just getting lame.  i was standing there listen to a ton of people try to one up each other on ween knowledge and who's seen more shows.  i usually don't get too judgmental at crowds

J:  but U are!

me:  but i'm really starting to hate the jam band fans they're attracting

J:  u are getting old i think

me:  i just don't want douche bags.  "oh, i saw gener 6 times on his solo tour!" well guess what, douche...i saw them with the fucking country band 12 years ago so suck that

fatskippy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
"well guess what, douche...i saw them with the fucking country band 12 years ago so suck that"

hettier than thou

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:11:56 pm »
I know, I know...I'm being petty, but it was driving me crazy.  Just go to the show and have fun.  It doesn't need to be a pissing contest.  These dudes spent more time talking about their favorite setlist that they downloaded from Brown Tracker than actually watching the show.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:08:48 pm »
But that's part of the fun of being an obsessive fan - one-upping each other.   Even that gets old after a while though.   Now I do the complete opposite.  When I'm at a show for a band I've obsessed over in the past, I just lie to people and tell them it's my first show and I only know a couple of the hits.  It's cute watching them trying to impress me with their knowledge - especially when I know they're wrong and I've been seeing the band since before they were born. :)

Don't do it while the band's playing though.  That'll just piss me off.

hutch

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:54:28 pm »
I'm there! I love Ween..I passed on the Constitution hall show because I can't stand that place but I do regret that one..

Been following them live pretty much since the 12 country greats show.. I think that was my fist although I may even have caught one before..

They can do no wrong in my book... Looking forward to having a great time tonight

ALso I think they allow taping and VIDEO which is cool

Gene looks like he's been eating too many burgers though!

The set list looks wacked.. I barely recognize anything on it....

hutch

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 04:17:54 am »
as I said Ween can do no wrong..so glad I went...talked to Dave a bit..some signatures..alot of video..

I'm glad they played "So Long Jerry"

although I long for ween I can appreciate this on its own level...

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 04:36:01 am »
I agree. Solid show. And my expectations were low based on my last Ween show (sonar '07) and nkotb's review.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 01:17:23 am »
The Pajo set was really cool as well. I think it was all Misfits covers. Got me to put on Static Age; I haven't heard many of these songs in years.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:37:32 pm »
Just found out he's releasing a vinyl-only Misfits cover album.  Pretty good set, although it took me until he played Attitude to realize where I had heard the songs at. 

The Pajo set was really cool as well. I think it was all Misfits covers. Got me to put on Static Age; I haven't heard many of these songs in years.

nkotb

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:57:47 am »
If anyone's interested, the Towson show just hit Browntracker.  Looks to be about the same setlist as the other shows.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:04:01 am »
Browntracker. Sounds like when we check our daughter's diaper for poopy. Or when she realizes she's done something and reaches down there, and oops, on her hand.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:54:02 am »

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:14:17 am »
Sounds like he should've done his research prior to going.
احمد