Author Topic: RIAA to stop suing individual file traders  (Read 22779 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: RIAA to stop suing individual file traders
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 02:32:42 pm »
i thought most people just zip up albums and put them on mediafire
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »
Sources: AT&T, Comcast may help RIAA foil piracy

interesting.  as discussed in this month's Wired mag, Comcast has a history of suppressing torrents.  their argument was that they are "engaging in network management":

Every company "manages" its network by restricting and opening access to maintain speeds. Providers have little choice, especially when it comes to P2P, the kudzu of cable. File-sharing eats up a half to two-thirds of his upstream capacity in some places. And because cable is a shared network?with some 300 homes downloading from any one pipe?a few BitTorrent devotees could make everyone's surfing experience feel more like swimming against a riptide. "We manage our network so 99 percent of the people have a great high-speed experience," he says. "You've always had Ma Bell managing its network for things like how you handle voice traffic on Mother's Day. You get a busy signal occasionally."

this turned in to a public relations fiasco for them - people accused Comcast of censorship, preferential treatment, attacking net neutrality, etc.  they had backed off from filtering out torrents and moved to capping the total bandwidth that one can use per month.  BUT NOW they have a reason to start filtering torrents again - "it's not our decision, we're doing it for the record labels!  we're enforcing their copyrights!".  i don't know if ISPs care about copyright protection and/or being sued by the RIAA, but what is certain is that they're always looking for ways to restrict those who take more than their share of bandwidth.

convenient how ISPs pick and choose when they are & aren't responsible for what flows through their pipes. 
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 03:16:03 pm »
Well, I suspect it's not blocking individual IPs as much as it's filtering file types, but we shall see.  Of course, the general public is always ahead of the companies when it comes to using technology for their own purposes.  

truer words have never been spoken.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 10:32:17 am »
picking up on my point about "network management" in my previous post:  google to the rescue!

New Google Tools Determine if Your ISP Is Blocking BitTorrent

Next time you're dealing with a dreadfully slow internet connection, you can ask Google what's causing the trouble.

The company announced a new open platform Wednesday called Measurement Lab, or M-Lab for short. As part of the initial launch, M-Lab includes three publicly accessible tools, including a tool called Glasnost that tests whether BitTorrent traffic is being blocked, throttled or otherwise impeded on your broadband connection.

Also part of M-Lab's launch are a tool to test your connection's overall speed and a diagnostic tool that will tell you if you're suffering from speed barriers common to last-mile broadband-network infrastructures.

In a post on Google's official blog, the company's chief internet evangelist Vint Cerf says M-Lab was launched to help the academic community. Researchers at institutions like Georgia Tech and Germany's Max Planck Institute have been working on these projects, but they've been hampered by infrastructure problems.

"Unfortunately, researchers lack widely distributed servers with ample connectivity," he writes. "This poses a barrier to the accuracy and scalability of these tools. Researchers also have trouble sharing data with one another."

Artistsc01_logoTo provide a suitable testing environment, Google will roll out 36 servers over the course of 2009. Also, all data collected by the project will be made publicly available for anyone to cite or reuse.

In addition to the three tools launching Wednesday, there are two more currently listed as "coming soon" on M-Lab's site. The first is called DiffProbe, and it's described as network probe that will determine if your ISP is shuffling certain kinds of traffic onto a slower pipe. The other tool still in development is Nano, which will tell you if your ISP is purposely throttling traffic from a particular group of customers, traffic from specific applications or traffic bound for specific destinations.

It's interesting to see Google stepping up into the role of a proactive net-neutrality watchdog. As a company that's banking on the internet eventually being put to use by all of us for everything above the operating system level ? applications, data storage and communications ? the move makes sense. But rather than push for open, reliable connections in the courts or through legislation, Google is taking the fight to the streets.

For years, ISPs have been notoriously shady about what they're throttling or blocking. The industry needs a healthy dose of transparency. Right now, we're just a bunch of pissed-off users complaining about our Skype calls getting dropped and our YouTube videos sputtering to a halt. But when it comes to placing blame, most of us are in the dark.

Google and the academic institutions its partnered with are empowering users to find out for themselves who's to blame when their service turns lousy, and helping them figure out where to direct their anger. And not just the command line jockeys, but everyone ? tools like Glasnost are aimed at novices, the only requirement being a current version of Java.

With access to the data that tools like this can provide, we'll be able to suss out the culprits and force them to own up to the true nature of their traffic-shaping policies.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:09 pm »
Ouch.  Google is not going to make any friends with that.

They must be thinking of entering the ISP business with the soon to freed up TV airwaves.  I can't think of a better sales pitch - unfettered internet access and we'll provide you the tools to prove it.  All the power to them (and I hope to be on their beta test....I gave the finger to Cable and DSL sometime ago, we don't have fiber and WiMAX has taken forever to roll out in SF).
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 07:37:00 pm »
Dropping lawsuits?  They really have quit (for now)....

RIAA Drops Lawsuits but Keeps the 'Takedown' Notices Coming

The Recording Industry Association of America announced in December that it was shifting gears and would stop suing groups of students for alleged illegal file sharing. So what is it doing now?

For starters, the industry group is pulling back from pending cases. In many lawsuits that recording companies filed against anonymous students ? ?John Does? ? legal hurdles and universities? challenges inhibited identification of those defendants.

?We are by and large dismissing all John Doe cases where we have not received a discovery order or a subpoena response,? Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the RIAA, said in an e-mail interview. ?Of course, there are some exceptions,? she said, without naming which ones.

27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:48 pm »
RIAA is NOT the government.
not yet
More RIAA lawyers off to the department of justice. .

maybe that's why they are slowing down lawsuits- all their lawyers are joining the administration.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:26 pm »
I found this interesting....

Why Microsoft, labels cling to music subscriptions

David Ring, executive vice president of business development for Universal Music Group's digital arm, said at the EconMusic Conference that the recording industry simply can't sustain itself from download sales alone.

"If what we're trying to do is one-by-one downloads...that's not a business that can grow," Ring told conference attendees during panel discussion he participated in. "It won't be healthy for the industry."

27>34

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
somehow, somwhere i feel that vansmack is really

or

Venerable Bede

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 02:29:14 pm »
the RIAA is NOT the government.

Obama names 5th RIAA lawyer to department of justice
OU812

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 11:48:22 am »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:51:12 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

walkonby

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2009, 01:57:13 pm »
walkies, are you drunk?  this is the second blank reply you've posted...
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »
walkies, are you drunk?  this is the second blank reply you've posted...
He's a homosexual and it's two o'clock in the afternoon. Unless they've run out of Orange Juice for Mimosas do you even have to ask?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:39 pm »
jules, you're on FIRE today :)

and i retract my earlier comment.  for some reason the images that walkonby was posting as his reply weren't appearing for me... but now they are.

as you were.
<sig>