Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 22212 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Book recommendations
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:52:09 am »
I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I need a new book. I'm sure a lot of you read and I was wondering if there were any good reads you all have come across in the past and maybe what you're reading right now
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »
Right now I am reading "Outliers - The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell.
27>34

Darth Ed

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:42 pm »
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon -- It's the funniest, the saddest, most disturbing, most beautiful, most disgusting, most rewarding, most amazing novel I've ever read, and the best novel I probably ever will read. The writing is so good that you'll want to read it aloud to savor ever syllable. A sprawling cast (you'll need to take notes to keep track of everyone, seriously) set in Europe during the waning months of WWII. If you have an interest in World War II, physics, rocketry, mathematics, psychology, musicals, statistics, sexual deviancy, Tarot cards, drug usage, mysticism, filmmaking, synchronicity, and conspiracy theories, then this is the book for you! It's a challenging post-modern work, but, if you read Cormac McCarthy, you can handle it. I highly recommend reading A Gravity's Rainbow Companion by Steven Weisenburger concurrently for illumination of the more obscure references.

What Jessica said-- hair much shorter, wearing a darker mouth of different outline, harder lipstick, her typewriter banking in a phalanx of letters between them-- was: "We're going to be married. We're trying very hard to have a baby."
   All at once there is nothing but his asshole between Gravity and Roger. "I don't care. Have his baby. I'll love you both-- just come with me Jess, please ... I need you...."
   She flips a red lever on her intercom. Far away a buzzer goes off. "Security." Her voice is perfectly hard, the word still clap-echoing in the air as in through the screen door of the Quonset office wth a smell of tide flats come the coppers, looking grim. Security. Her magic word, her spell against demons.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »
I love Thomas Pynchon's other stuff, but I couldn't even get 1/4 of the way through Gravity's Rainbow.   But I also know other peeps who love it  and love discussing it with others who've read it.  I think your brain just needs to be wired in a very specific way to get it.

_\|/_

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:38:20 pm »
I'll give Gravity's Rainbow a shot, I was looking for something insane. Keep 'em comin!
‼‼?‼‼

Darth Ed

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »
If you have want something really insane (and fun!), you should try Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. That's another book I recommend reading aloud. Or better yet find a recording of Burroughs reading it. That really added to my appreciation.

I love everything Michael Chabon has written. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is a good one to start with. A healthy appeciation of comic books and their history helps with that novel. If that sort of thing doesn't interest you, skip it.

Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is seriously one of the top three or four best novels I've read.

If you like science fiction, do yourself a favor and read everything Gene Wolfe has written.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:28:30 pm by Darth Ed »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:11:05 am »
If you have want something really insane (and fun!), you should try Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. That's another book I recommend reading aloud. Or better yet find a recording of Burroughs reading it. That really added to my appreciation.

That's funny because I was going to recommend the exact same book. The film is pretty good too if you have a head for understanding it all and like that kind of stuff.

I'd also recommend The Town And The City by Jack Kerouac. You have to get past the sickeningly sweet set up but it's important for what is to follow.

Gravity's Rainbow is a serious feast of words. It would also help to have at least of slight bit of understanding of the Tarot in order to follow the plot.

A little Philip K. Dick is always good to get you wondering if all those drugs he consumed opened up some sort of doorway in his mind that allowed him to envision some of the things that were to come.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:47:08 am »
I read In Cold Blood recently

what a great book

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:02 am »
i'm currently reading and enjoying Something to Tell You by Hanief Kureishi.

Best book I've read in the last five years was A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Mobius

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:53:20 am »
Three really good ones I've recently picked up (if you're into sociology, history/politics and/or NBA hoops):

Outliers (now vansmack approved!)
Team of Rivals
Free Darko Presents the Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac

Some other out there (though not naked lunch out there) classics, in case you've missed them:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Confederacy of Dunces

And my favorites from Cormac McCarthy:

The Crossing
All the Pretty Horses
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:09:55 am by Mobius »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:26 am »
My reading time has been curtailed dramatically with kids and a crazy job but I did pick up two over Christmas and am half way through one of them

Skippy Dies

http://www.amazon.com/Skippy-Dies-Novel-Paul-Murray/dp/0865479437/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294146529&sr=1-1

and

A Visit From the Good Squad

http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Goon-Squad-Jennifer-Egan/dp/0307592839

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:07 am »
I'm on a Krakauer roll...

Just finished Under the Banner of Heaven, which points out what a douchey lot the Mormons are. and starting Where Men Win Glory, which prresumably will tell me what a douchey lot the military are.

K8teebug

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:10 am »
Krakauer is great. 

My favorite book as of late is Everything Matters!  by Ron Currie Jr.  Just a wonderful story.

I have also really loved reading the Song of Ice and Fire Series.  I am not much of a fantasy reader, and these are just really awesome books.  The first one, Game of Thrones, is being adapted for HBO and the producers called the story "Sopranos in Middle Earth".  About sums it up.

The Hunger Games series is fun by Suzanne Collins.  Young adult, but a good dystopia book.  Might not want to read them immediately after The Road, because that's about the best dystopia book I've ever read.

Too Much Happiness - Alice Munro -  great short stories.  I especially liked this book of hers.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender

History of Love and/or Great House - Nicole Krauss.  She is the wife of the guy who wrote Everything is Illuminated.  Both are fantastic.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:41 am »
I just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

http://www.amazon.com/Shantaram-Novel-Gregory-David-Roberts/dp/0312330529

A great, great read.

Next up is The Damage Done:  Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison by Warren Fellows

http://www.amazon.com/Damage-Done-Twelve-Bangkok-Prison/dp/184018275X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294149538&sr=1-3