Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 22207 times)

Relaxer

Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:00 am »

Best book I read in 2010. pretty heartbreaking but overall has an uplifting vibe, testament to the human spirit etc etc. I think Dave Eggers is pretty overrated but I can't fuck with what he did in this book.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:28 am »
Considering he finished the Road over two years ago, I think he'll be ok.  ;)

The Hunger Games series is fun by Suzanne Collins.  Young adult, but a good dystopia book.  Might not want to read them immediately after The Road, because that's about the best dystopia book I've ever read.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:09 am »
some good recommendations here.  thanks folks.

The Hunger Games series is fun by Suzanne Collins.  Young adult, but a good dystopia book.  Might not want to read them immediately after The Road, because that's about the best dystopia book I've ever read.

i got in to the hunger games over the holiday break, now on #3 of 3.  quite enjoyable.  minor complaint: the occasional peppering of chick-lit, primarily in the first book - the longing for her father, back in a time when everything was perfect...  ::)  otherwise, a fun light read.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:42:42 am »

A Visit From the Good Squad

http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Goon-Squad-Jennifer-Egan/dp/0307592839

This is in my "to read" stack.  I'm zipping through Kitchen Confidential right now and then diving into the Keith Richards autobiography.

I think the books I enjoyed most in 2010 were Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City and David Goodville's American Subversive

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »
Currently reading my friend's book. He spent about 2 years writing it. It's a WWII book, but with a nazi experimentation/Indiana Jones twist. I think it's pretty well written and am thuroughly enjoying it. You can read about it more on his site and order a copy. He also has a short story available for download on his site in case you're curious to see what his style is like. The story comes from the 'Lucky Ford Universe'

http://www.unusualoccurrences.com/

If you like action/adventure/WWII stuff, I'd say it's worth the read!
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
you should read richard webster's books on each of the four archangels, michael / raphael / gabriel / uriel.  they will show you how to contact each and adjusting yourself into the higher planes of reality.  then you should read crowley's book of the law.  life is balance.  i know, i know . . . most people either find crowley to be a evil lunatic or an idiot who fooled the small minded.  but book of the law was indeed given to him by something not of this world, and if one pays enough attention while reading it, you can actually feel yourself being dragged into something that opens doors of corruptible realization.  i do prescribe not following your footsteps through that door, but instead having the mere knowledge that such things do exist, is indeed fascinating.

K8teebug

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 03:16:48 pm »
I really want to read the Keith Richards book.

I am currently reading the letters between Julia Child and her friend Avis.  They are really cool.

Also reading Freedom, which is pretty great, but really long.

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »

Just about to start this after reading a New Yorker piece on it and having a dream about Cleopatra while masturbating this one time and then I woke up and I was all, wuh? Who is this Cleopatra and what is her story?
Advantage: me
oword

ggw

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:01 pm »
Advantage: me

That's what Marc Antony said...

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »
Well we're still talking about him so he must have done something right.
Plus that pimp scored some truly historic pussy. I must pay tribute.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:53 pm »
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25:43 am »
Did you know that Mark Antony killed himself after a fake report that Cleopatra died?  It was on Jeopardy the other night.  That Cleopatra book has gotten alot of rave reviews.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »
I hated Naked Lunch.

Anyhow, I can also recc The Hunger Games series for a good, light read.
I'm currently reading:

Rob Sheffield's "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran"
and "Mauve: How One Man Invented a Color that Changed the World," by Simon Garfield

Comics I have on deck:
Mouseguard: Winter 1152
The Best American Comics of 2010
and Batman RIP
nothx

K8teebug

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »
I am buying that Mauve book for my mom.  Thanks!  That is her favorite decorating color.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 09:15:44 am »
Been reading 2-3 books at a time...I switch off when one has a lull

currently:
On The Road/Jack Kerouac
The Wisdom Of Crowds
Washington Confidential (crazy gossip paperback from 50's)