Author Topic: Hallelujah  (Read 2900 times)

Venerable Bede

Hallelujah
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:50:42 pm »
The Hallelujah chorus: Three versions of same song vie to be Christmas number one

It was a cult anthem until Alexandra Burke turned it into an X Factor blockbuster - horrifying purists and sparking a revival for the man who wrote the original track

By Alison Boshoff
Last updated at 1:16 AM on 19th December 2008

Something peculiar is happening in popular music this week, and it is all thanks to the power of one quite extraordinary song.

Hallelujah is a deceptively simple track, with lyrics which are a mesmerising riddle and an atmosphere somehow both religiously and erotically charged at the same time.

While hardly known by the wider public, it is a cult song among music aficionados and has been covered many times  -  to date by more than 100 artists  -  without ever losing its power to provoke and move.

The song was completed 24 years ago by mournful Canadian singer Leonard Cohen  -  a process which took him two years  -  and it looks certain, astonishingly, to be both No. 1 and No. 2 in the singles charts this week.
Midweek chart figures show that the version by Alexandra Burke, The X Factor winner, is set for the top spot, having sold 290,000 copies.

But a movement has sprung up which aims to deny Burke in favour of a version by an obscure U.S. singer called Jeff Buckley, who drowned in an accident 11 years ago when he was on the brink of mainstream success.
Buckley's cover version  -  thought by purists to be a far finer rendition  -  has sold 45,000 copies this week already, with more than 100,000 joining a Facebook campaign to promote it.

It is no exaggeration to suggest that two tribes have sprung up, with each championing their favourite with great passion.

Radio 1 DJ Colin Murray is among the Buckley-philes, and said on air: 'If you own a record shop or work in one, go and cover up all X Factor versions with Jeff Buckley's.'

X Factor judge Louis Walsh is, naturally, among those cheering for Alexandra Burke, and says: 'Alexandra has brought it to a whole new audience who don't know that song. The X Factor audience think it is a new song. I think we should revisit all these great songs and bring them to a new generation. I really do.'

Feelings are running so high that a pro-Buckley demonstration  -  yes, you read that correctly, a demonstration over a cover version  -  is planned this afternoon in Trafalgar Square.

One Buckley activist writes on Facebook: 'You know they have buildings that you cannot touch? Historical ones? They should do the same with songs.'

At the moment, sales of the Buckley version are around 1,000 copies below Leona Lewis's release of Run, which is at No. 2, but industry experts say that it looks certain to surpass her sales, leaving the former X Factor winner at No. 3.

To complicate matters still further, suddenly appearing from nowhere on the charts is the original track by Leonard Cohen himself, in at No. 33, but racing upwards. By Christmas Day there is a very real chance that the three Hallelujahs could claim the top three chart places.

So might one of them beat Alexandra Burke? That would be a dream come true for certain people, especially those who regard Simon Cowell as a musical anti-Christ
OU812

vansmack

Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:55:42 pm »
I have a security blanket, 8 minutes and 16 seconds in my life where I know I can find peace at any occassion, no matter what is going on around me.

And only Jeff Buckley can provide that to me.  There is no need to have this discussion any further.
27>34

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:02:29 pm »
all you have to hear is that sigh at the beginning, and the debate should be over.

Darth Ed

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »
Jeff Buckley is "obscure"? Really? Maybe to people who don't actually know anything about music....

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:53:07 am »

That's the pic of Buckley accompanying the article.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:33:00 am »
i saw buckley at the old 930 club..

i 'm glad the song is doing well cause leonard cohen needs the money and he deserves every dime.

shemptiness

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 02:53:53 pm »
Obscure?  Really?

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:26 pm »
And yet no one mentions John Cale. He is the one who covered the song originally and made it into the version that everyone else covers.

Relaxer

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »

That's the pic of Buckley accompanying the article.

he looks like Jeff Tweedy
oword